Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Granite is off again, is this a sign?

TxMarti
11 years ago

Maybe I should just forget it.

A family emergency has come up and now I need to cancel the templating. I've been trying to get bills paid, paperwork done, and a list of phone calls I need to make tomorrow. I came across the original bid from the granite fabricator. It was for New Venetian Granite none handpicked, just his usual price. And it was $1200 less than the Giallo Ornamental, even though the lady I've been talking to said they are the same level. I thought the estimate was higher when she gave it to me on the phone the other day but I had so much going on, I didn't check it against the original quote.

I'll ask her tomorrow when I cancel the templating, but it all seems like such a hassle right now. And yes, I am more than a bit stressed right now.

Comments (10)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Take care - family takes priority - that is one reason our kitchen has taken so long

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a2gemini, it will make it take longer, that and we are doing so much ourselves. And it just dawned on me that tomorrow is Labor Day so I can't call. I don't know what I'll do about the templating. Get a neighbor to wait for them and turn them away I guess.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Marti if you are still up. Call the template people now and leave a message on their answering machine. that is if they do not work from home. So sorry about your emergency. Take care.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm still up. Need to be in bed but I'm wired. I did leave a message, both on the company line and private number of a sales rep we've never even met. Maybe they'll get it before the guy drives over here. He lives not far and was supposed to come here before going in to the office.

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

Close your eyes, take a deep breath and count to 10. Family takes priority. Concentrate on one thing first and when your granite is meant to be, it'll happen. :)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry, Marti. You're doing the right thing though. Family first. They are THE most important thing. If your fabricators have any sort of humanity, they'll understand. I'm sure it's not the first time something like this has happened to them.

Try to get some rest and take care. It's hard. I know. Thinking about you...

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

Marti when I have those sleepless nights when my mind will not shut off I put on my head phones and listen to both parts of this. It has really helped to calm my brain and allow me to sleep. Sorry for going OT.It is a safe link mindful thinking which teaches you how to shut off your mind. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Mindful thinking.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

In the yoga world, this mind that won't hold still and bounces all over the place is called "Monkey mind." Yoga's purpose, when all the hype and media junk is set aside, is to still the mind in preparation for meditation on the Divine -- or God. Or the fireplace. :) It has taken me decades to not only calm the monkeys, but to give myself permission to just plain hold still. I'm part monkey.

Just watch the monkeys bounce. It's kind of like the sheep, only a little wilder. They're there, and the more you fight it the more they scramble.

The mindful thinking method to just listen to your breath, watch the monkeys, or to listen to someone else's voice.

Music can help, because you're not playing with the monkeys. Every time you find yourself joining in, just bring your attention back to the sound of the music, the voice (don't even pay attention to the words if you don't want to -- it's another monkey sometimes), or just the in and out of your breath, and the rise and fall of your heart.

If anything, just give yourself permission to have 10 minutes to yourself. We've called it "regrouping" for years.

Family is important, which none of us need to tell you. All that other stuff is just stuff.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

Good luck marti8a! You can get a counter any time. I do hope all is okay.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Marti- I hope everything is okay...I know what you mean about family emergencies.

As for the granite, I just don't know if that's the best choice for you. I'm still concerned about the noise, as well as the price. And are you sure you LOVE the granite?

I posted this before to show you the island...but I kept this picture because of the countertop change around the sink. Would something like this work for you? Maybe soapstone (my first choice for you) or granite around the sink and something else in the other areas? Wood is always nice...and you could always use stone again, by the range. Just an idea :) {{!gwi}}From French Country Kitchen

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County