Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renorman_gw

Messed up backsplash...re-doing it! Help!

renorman
12 years ago

I put in my dream backsplash. The sparkly one from the kraftmade kitchen. Well, it does nothing for my kitchen and when the lights are turned on it does not sparkle. Fortunately, the tile guys laid wrong (it is buckling at the seams) and it is all coming off. Problem is I have lost all my confidence in picking out tile. Please get me back on the right track. Cabinets are white, soapstone on perimeter and vermont white on island.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (54)

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

I have iridescent glass tiles and the under-cabinet lighting doesn't bring up the iridescence. It's best seen with natural lighting, at certain angles.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Is that Neutra Vetro? I love that tile. I can see what you mean about the install. It looks like it needs to be redone but I wouldn't change it, just redo. It looks gorgeous!

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Renorman,

Your kitchen is to die for.

I'm not sure if you're looking to replace the backsplash with another sparkly/tiny glass tile motif, but if you're now open to other ideas, perhaps a vermont white/carrera/calacatta subway tile with beveled edges would compliment your island and look gorgeous.

At which stone yard did you find your island marble?? Fabulous!!

• kimiko232
    12 years ago

Oh, I love that tile too! Don't forget though, they have professional lighting and staging materials to make that backsplash sparkle so perfectly. So, I definitely wouldn't expect for it to sparkle like that. I wouldn't give up on it, but just reduce your expectations (sad to say.) Beautiful kitchen, though!

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Hi again,

Another idea, if you decide to go in another direction now that you have to redo anyway, would be a Walker Zanger tile set. These are larger white ceramic tiles (poor quality pic posted below) that come in sets of 4. Each set creates a repeating transitional/contemporary pattern that would look amazing in your kitchen.

Pic of beveled Carrara tiles in my friends house also posted, she has a similar kitchen to yours.

Walker Zangers:

Beveled Carraras:

• jlcorp
    12 years ago

I think I would like to see a larger pattern in your kitchen backsplash. I like the two previous ideas about using marble tiles or the large-patterned ceramic tile.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I love your granite it looks sort of like Azul Aran or Arabescato. I love them both!!! So awesome that you have something like that. I would love to use it but I have natural maple cabs it would look terrible in my kitchen. My kitchen will just have to live vicariously through yours. I love your backsplash!

• erinct
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I really like that backsplash in general, but I'm not sure it does much for your kitchen (at least in the picture). I think something like that Walker Zanger tile would really look amazing (of course, I'm looking at large patterns for behind my range so I might be biased!). It would be subtle, but with a WOW factor! Backsplashes are so hard -- good luck!!!!

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I have added a few more pictures of the island and the rest of the kitchen. I also have been playing with some marble subway (beveled and regular cut). What do you think? Love the Walker Zanger tile! Would it be too much to do that under the hood and marble subways everywhere else? I really want this to wow. I also played with some blue painters tape this morning, what a huge difference it made in just breaking up some of the glass tile.

Also, I got my Vermont White from OHMint.com in Nashville. I tried scrubbing the backsplash this morning and it did help a little bit but, like some of you have said I think it is the lighting. It looks great when the lights are off or dimmed but how can I work in a dark kitchen?

Please keep the suggestions coming. I have to figure this out asap! Thanks so much!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Kitchen pictures

• erinct
    12 years ago

I think the marble subways would look lovely, and I kinda like the varied tones of the one on the right. I think it would look great next to your perimeter countertops and pick up the stone on your island. As for beveled v. regular cut, I'm not sure. But I'm not sure either would be a WOW factor, unless you're looking at it as "WOW, that backsplash flows so nicely and is so lovely and soothing in that kitchen." THAT it would have! To me, a special design or material or something sparkly or more prominent/unique says WOW, look at me! Depends on what kind of WOW you're going for! : )

But I do love the size of the rectangle you taped off above the cooktop. Would you mind sharing the dimensions and how far up from the countertop you started it? We're trying to figure out our backsplash too, including some type of mosaic over our 48" range, and you got the size perfect IMHO! Thanks!

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Hi all,
    I originally posted that Walker Zanger backsplash, and went back to Barnes and Noble today to try to find the magazine I saw it in. It was definitely a current issue of some kitchen mag, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, that particular tile set is not on the WZ Website/online catalog. If anyone actually pursues it and learns what the name of it is, please let me know! I'm wondering if maybe it was custom made by WZ for that kitchen...

Renorman, I"m excited to learn what you decide to do. Meanwhile, enjoy your amazing kitchen!!

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Erinct, Would you be willing to share any of the sources where you've found larger backsplash tile patterns?

Besides the WZ posted above, all I can find are repeating tiles and tiny tiles that together make some kind of picture/mural.

I'm looking for large tile sets, that together make a large repeating transitional/contemporary type pattern, as seen above.

Thanks!

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Erinct-I measured 9 inches across on both sides and 6 inches up and down.

Madeline616-I found the magazine! Beautiful Kitchens and Baths Summer 2011. I am going to go to a store this week that carries Walker Zanger and see if they have it. Will keep you posted. Have you looked at the specialty mosaics at Mission Stone Tile?
    http://www.missionstonetile.com/products/specialty-mosaics/imperial-trellis-calacatta-and-lagos

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

That WZ tile is from the Michael Berman collection called Studio Moderne. The pattern is called Paramount. It looks like the tile in that photo is the white color called Coconut. It is unbelievably gorgeous IRL. I'm planning on using it on a full 6' wide, 7' tall open wall behind my soaking tub in the master. We're still mid-construction on the bathroom addition so no pics of it yet.

Here's what it looks like in green.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Hers a pic of the tile in Coconut. Forgot to mention that each tile is 15"x15". For the complete pattern, you'd need four tiles. They can be laid in two different patterns. If you look closely, you can see the difference between the pics I posted.

Be warned....this tile ain't cheap!

width="285" height="358" alt="Tub wall tile, WZ Paramount">

I can't seem to make the pics any bigger using the iPad and Flickr, but if you click on the photos and go to my Flickr account, you should be able to see them bigger.

• erinct
    12 years ago

madeline616: I'm attaching a link to a thread I started that shows two of the tiles I'm considering. The arabesque one is by Raffi Glass (WaterJet Series - Marble Arabesque) and the owner couldn't be nicer or more helpful. Within minutes of calling he emailed me pictures showing me what the full design box would look like with the tile laid out on a floor. It's basically a custom tile so you can pick and choose from a variety of stones and colors. The other tile is from AMC American Stone & Supply (amerastone.com). It's the Celtic pattern. This is also a custom tile so you can pick and choose from various stones, etc. But unlike Raffi they are not customer friendly and won't speak with the customer directly. They repeatedly told me that I had to work through a tile store to get my questions answered. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Pattern Tile

• enduring
    12 years ago

I think a bold tile like the patterned ones talked about above would look nice over your stove. I do not like the boxed insert deally thing that you have masked out over your stove in your link. I am not a fan of framed, over the stove mural like installations. Your kitchen is very nice and elegant.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Y'all are awesome!!

This info is great. Renorman, I'd be thrilled if you ended up with this behind your stove. It'd be the perfect look for your kitchen, and the GWers seem to agree! How in the world did you find the magazine that pic was in so quickly?

Breezygirl, those measurements are helpful as I decide whether/where to use it myself. I'd be able to do 3 vertical (45") and 4 horizontal (60") above my stove. How much $$ are we talking, anyway?

Erinct- Those tiles are gorgeous! I'd say go with the friendly Raffi people...nice to support their business, and you'll have fond memories (instead of annoyed memories) of the process. Fun!

Enduring - I agree, not crazy about the box inserts usually. Interesting, though, if you scroll up to the prro quality pic I posted of the blue hood with the WZ tile set behind, there's actually a subtle borber around the outside edge. Very subtle, though, just to finish off the look.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Breezygirl, I'm horrible at conceptualizing shapes, but after staring at it for awhile I can see the "rounder" more contemporary shape that is the green pic, and the more classic/transitional that is in the white tile pic. Which one are you going to do?

Renorman, let me know if you figure out what the border is that they used around the very edge to frame in that backsplash in the Beautiful Kitchens and Baths mag...it really finishes it so perfectly.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Madeline--I'm not sure which look I'll do, probably the one in the green as it seems less busy. I'm not going for contemporary though. I'll make a final decision when I order the tile later this year.

The border piece around the Paramount is probably also from Studio Moderne collection. There are many other tile shapes, patterns, field tiles, etc in that collection. It's frustrating not to be able to find them all online. United Tile used to have a complete list including prices on their website, but now it's gone.

Prices?? Sit down for this. Retail is about $99. Per tile. DH has a way to buy tile at a tradesperson price which makes it less than half for me. Still, even at 50%, it's very spendy. I consider it art and feel the price is worth it.

The coconut color is the closest it comes to white, but it's more creamy than pure white. I'm not sure if that matters to you or not.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Yes Madeline, that little subtle boarder is really nice. I have thought about my comment from last night and its not that I always dislike the framed murals, it's just that I see them not looking very nice at times. I think your stove area is already framed and something like your example above is enough with that lovely tile. Or something like the tile that erinct linked to, an older post of hers.

• erinct
    12 years ago

enduring . . . your post really has me thinking! This weekend I went through all the kitchen pics I've saved over the years and realized that VERY few have a framed mural over the range, so I went on an online hunt to try to find some inspriation (no real luck!). Then I read your post and thought maybe I don't like them that much either!! Or maybe it's just that most of them are such a focal point and stand out so much, and what I've wanted was something more monochromatic/textural. Something that blends. What do you think this all means?!? Go for it, or no?!?

renorman: Sorry to hijack a bit . . . but maybe this discussion could help you too? Or are you set on the box? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well. We have many of the same elements in our kitchen. BTW, what paint color are you planning to use for your kitchen walls? Have you picked out bar stools?!? All things I'm trying to figure out!

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

erinct-keep hijacking! This discussion is very helpful. I am not tied to doing a box. In fact, in the past I have never cared for them. However, since I screwed this up once I am open to all suggestions at this point. One of the tile stores I went to suggested trying it. I am heading to the store with the Walker Zanger tile tomorrow. Hoping to fall in love with something...anything! I just want it to say wow! I used BM Ostrich Feather on my walls. I currently have black stools with rush seats. I am going to try and use them, they are only a couple of years old.

I love love love the Raffi tile. Can it be bought online or do you have to go to a store?

• erinct
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info! I have never heard of that BM color -- I'll have to check it out!

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the Raffi tiles could be bought online or over the phone. The ower is so nice and helpful. I'm sure he would walk through an order with you or guide you to where you could do it yourself. There are a bunch of stones you can choose from for each part. Unfortuantely their web site wasn't great the last time I was on it, but he did say that they were updating it.

Let us know how your trip tomorrow goes!! Good luck!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I can't find BM Ostrich Feather. Are you sure that's the correct name? Is it a classic color or aura color or???

• erinct
    12 years ago

I couldn't find that BM color either, but there is a Pittsburgh Paint color by that name. Is that it, color matched by BM?!? It's a beautiful beige color. Which makes me think that something closer to the coloring in the circle tiles might go better than the marble, unless you bring in a marble that has some gold and gray in it . . . but I'm horrible with colors in general!

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops! It is a Porter color. I had planned on doing all BM colors but the painter only wanted to use Porter. Guess I still have BM in my head. The color leans more to the gray side than the gold but there is very little wall showing so it is not a huge issue. I am off to see the Walker Zanger moderne tile. Is there anything else you want me to look for and get pictures of?

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Renorman,

Hoping you find something that wows you today, looking fwd to hearing about your experience. Maybe you'll love it even more than your original idea.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Renorman,

Hoping you find something that wows you today, looking fwd to hearing about your experience. Maybe you'll love it even more than your original idea.

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm home and I'm exhausted. Went to two different places and got several opinions. The Walker Zanger tile (in my opinion) looks better in a color. The one they had in the picture and the one I posted is a matte finish and looks like plastic. If it was a shiny finish that might help a lot. They did have some great large subway tiles to go with it though. The other problem I am having is it is not a true white. It definately is more cream. I am going to go back and look at it tomorrow in a different light and fresh eyes.

I was totally prepared to purchase it if it wowed me but I am not sure it really has the wow factor especially at 105 a square foot. I did bring home a few other ideas too. Let me know what you think. Kind of discouraged.

Check out Artistic Tile too, they have some beautiful things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Zanger Tile and other

• enduring
    12 years ago

Those are some pretty tiles. The large one that has the raised shapes almost looks too big for your spot. What do you think? I like the raised line though. The marble mosaic on the left is very sweet, that's because I love the translucent nature of marble. Tomorrow will be a good day to look again when you're rested. Best of luck.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Hi Renorman,

Yes, I can see that the WZ is pretty creamy as compared with your wood paneling around the stove.

So you're saying the one you posted is matte (and plasticky looking)...did they actually have it in gloss and/or various color optins? Perhaps a sift pastel like a very pale green or blue would work?

Anyway, pics 3 and 4 seem to be a much more natural match for your application, IMO. The size of the pattern repeat and the color seems like a better fit. What brand/name are they? I'm losing track!

You're fortunate to have these great upscale tile stores close to you! I'll prob have to figure out how to do it all via online sample ordering.

I know this can e exhausting, and helpful to let the ideas marinate and go back to look with fresh eyes.

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Renorman, can you tell me how many inches you have between the edge of your range and the wall of the arch/alcove? Wondering how much room you have for utensils, etc while cooking. I'd love to put in the Viking 48" but don't know whether it'll allow enough apace to place my utensils. Our setups look to be almost identical.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Renorman, can you tell me how many inches you have between the edge of your range and the wall of the arch/alcove? Wondering how much room you have for utensils, etc while cooking. I'd love to put in the Viking 48" but don't know whether it'll allow enough apace to place my utensils. Our setups look to be almost identical.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Sorry I keep posting the same message twice. They keep getting rejected, so I resend, and they post twice. Embarrassing!

• function_first
    12 years ago

Wow! I literally gasped when I saw the marble mosaic (lower left), it's beautiful!! ANd it looks great in your kitchen. The right hand one is pretty, too.

I agree about the thumbs down on the WZ -- either the roundness of the design, or maybe it's the large scale of it -- it just doesn't work there.

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

Renor

Just hopped on here & have read & scrolled with interest.

Love your kitchen - lovely choices & elements

I'm not clear on your mission - are you just changing out the framed (blue tape) above cook top or are you looking for all new?

Backsplash is like jewelry/artwork - personal choice & opinions - for me it can make or break a great design. I personally like a subtle cohesive look when it comes to backsplashes. So many other lovely elements, I find glaring backsplashes detract from the overall appearance of a fine kitchen - the eye tends to stay focused there rather than traveling - If that makes sense!

It can be very difficult to "see" a final outcome when choosing tile in showrooms & putting up small samples because it is vertical & covers a decent amount of sq footage as well as occupying space close to midline/eye level.

Sometimes in a renovation/new construction homeowners feel the need to "get it done" race to the finish line. suffer from paralysis of sorts for having to make so many choices. In your case - you have made some really stunning choices -

I could offer my personal preferences - don't like small mosaics over large expanse of vertical space, don't like too large modern in traditional kitchen (although do like mix thereof in general), don't like bevel etc- but at the end of the day - I am not sure that helps or just adds more confusion to the mix.

A backsplash is not necessary for an operable kitchen - it is truly art for the most part. I would recommend in your case, to bring in the other elements of the final design - both soft & hard - Coffe maker, tea kettle, ?cast iron pots - window treatments,chair cushions, rugs - ceramics, art work & the likes

live and enjoy your kitchen & SLOWLY bring in tiles that you feel suit your near finished space. You keep using "wow" - Perhaps you are not realizing you already have WOW in your overall space - Too much WOW may detract from the global WOW -

Hope that makes sense & best of luck to you

Have you perused the Finished Backsplash blog? that may help

Here is a link that might be useful: finished backsplash slide show

• erinct
    12 years ago

hmmm, definitely not loving the large WZ circle tiles in your application like I thought I would. Maybe they need that dark wood surrounding them like in the above pic to stand out and have that WOW factor. I am, however, LOVING the marble mosaics. I kinda prefer the one on the right since it seems softer and flows with the cream cabinets nicely but either are great choices! I think you can go that route easier than I can because you used soapstone on the perimeter so the gray veins in the marble look fabulous with it (they compete too much with the vermont white stones up against it. But having it on the island looks AWESOME! Let us know how it goes today! I can't wait to see what you come up with . Your kitchen is going to be fabulous!

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Drove to a great tile place today and picked up the large WZ to try it in my own application. Had such high hopes, but as with Renorman's backsplash, it jut didn't work. Erinct, I think you're right about the darker wood setting off the white circles in just the right way.

I picked up some sample boards of marble mosaics similar to both of your pics/links. They're clearly a better match, but oh the choices are overwhelming!

Looking fwd to hearing about both of your progress!

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Madeline616-Sorry the Walker didn't work for you either. I was just sure it was going to solve all our problems.

Went back to tile stores today. Had almost decided to just do marble subways with a herringbone frame when dh told me he doesn't care for it. Lovely, here we go again. Figured I could add sparkle or pizazz to the kitchen with accessories. So, I have brought another sample home. Will go to house tomorrow and check it out. Too tired today!

Has anyone seen the Toledo Lucido by Artistic Tile or Arpell Bianco? I almost brought home the Arpell Bianco (and wish I had). They didn't have the Toledo Lucido but they said they could get it for me. What do you think?

http://artistictile.com/Collections/?place=1000000000000268&category=1000000000000182

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

TOledo Lucio is very nice, indeed.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Funny, sample boards from the Artistic Tile line are the only others I took home besides the WZ.

I love your 2 choices. I personally prefer the larger pattern, but they're both gorgeous.

Since you originally started with very small tiles, you may like Artistic's mesh mounted mosaics...they come in squares, diamonds, hexagons, etc. The color Azul Cielo is *very* pale blue, and definitely sparkly. It pairs incredibly with the Bianco Carrara.

The possibilities are endless with Artistic.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

This may not be contemporary enough for your application, but it's clean and has some depth:

http://www.missionstonetile.com/collection/Beveled-Arabesque-Glazed-Ceramic-Tile

• impatience_7
    12 years ago

I am usually a very quiet lurker but just had to jump in to this one with my 2 cents.
    Your kitchen is just fantastic. And I think you had it right the first time. I really like the balance of the small tiles in juxtaposition with the more massive stove top below and then the beautiful island. Understated but with a bit of zing to it.
    In the pic of the tiles you had placed for viewing the iridescence is much more evident than in the first pics you posted. And I'm guessing this was after you did a bit of cleaning of the grout haze. It is obvious that you have made wonderful decisions for the rest of the kitchen. Don't second guess yourself now and take another direction. You got it right-the tilers just screwed up.
    Looking forward to seeing your completed kitchen.

Imp
    Imp

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Well, I took another look at your current backsplash, and it is amazing. I was just assuming you were "done" with that tile b/c what you wanted in terms of sparkle seemed unobtainable. But since Imp'a posting I looked again and yes, it's gorgeous.

Can you tell us which manufacturer/name/color it is? Would like to look at other pics online.

On an unrelated note, Renorman, you seem to have lights in the glass fronted cabinets flanking your range that actually illuminate the whole cabinet. But the shelves appear to be made of wood, not glass...? How did you accomplish this? I have similar cabinets in the same place, but never installed lighting b/c I figured only the top shelf would be illuminated (thought the light wouldn't penetrate past that first shelf).

• erinct
    12 years ago

impatience7 and Madeline616 are correct -- your original backsplash looks like it was starting to get its sparkle back in the second set of pictures you posted! Can you post a broader picture showing the tile used throughout the kitchen so we can comment on the overall look (if you want that advice!). If that's the same tile as in the Kraftmaid ad I love that tile and think it could look fabulous in your kitchen. But if you want to go in a different direction I think one of those marble mosaics you posted are beautiful too!

This is such a hard decision, isn't it?!? I've been trying to figure ours out for months. I'm currently taking a break from it and working on other areas, and I'm dreading having to think about it again! Good luck!

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Madeline616-I looked at the arabesque tile. They had a huge wall of it. It was a little overwhelming. I am afraid I might get tired of it. The original tile on the backsplash is by Casamood (kraftmade kitchen). Vetro Glass Neutra Bianco Lux. The reason you are seeing more sparkle is because I don't have a lot of the lights on. As soon as I turn on the hood lights it is one big white flat mess. The sides are not too bad.
    http://www.mosaictilestone.com/Casamood-Vetro-Neutra-Glass-Bianco-Lux-p/gl-v-neu-bianco.htm

The lighting in my cabinets is done on little strips inside of them. It looks like weather stripping and you can place the lights wherever you want them. Pretty sure it is made by Kichler.

They have just ordered samples of the Ann Sacks tile that Christopher Peacock used in his kitchen. I am all over the place!
    http://www.traditionalhome.com/design_decorating/kitchens/christopher-peacock-white-kitchen_ss1.html

Here is a link that might be useful:

• thrilledtobuild
    12 years ago

Well this is off the backsplash topic, but I can't stop drooling over your kitchen!!! It is so very lovely! Would you mind sharing info on the island pendants, including size?

For what it's worth, I really like the tile you have now.

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thrilledtobuild-thanks so much for your nice comments. I like the tile too...when the lights aren't on! I am pretty sure I got my pendants from Lamps Plus. They are 8 inches wide.
    http://www.lampsplus.com/products/emery-silver-finish-rod-hung-mini-pendant-chandelier__k3584.html

• renorman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I went to the tile stores again yesterday. I brought home a few more samples. I also found a blog called tile tramp (tiletramp@gmail.com). She does free on-line consultations. All you do is send her a picture and what your looking for. Anyway, I included what she thought would look good in my kitchen. (They did not have that particular sample at my store-its kind of swirly). She also suggested the one that I have already had at home (Walker Zanger Hollywood). So, I brought that home again ungrouted. I think the dark grout in the first sample was really throwing me. (It is the tile in the middle). The tile on the left would have to be a different marble but I thought I might as well try it. Lastly, the one on the right is called interlocking circles from mission stone tile. My concern with that is that the circles are going to be 18 inches in diameter when it is all done. (My dimensions are about 32 x 60). The picture with one sample in it is marble with clear glass by artistic. Any thoughts? Monday is decision day. I feel like I have seen it all at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: New tile pictures