Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting online selling tactics/comments

Posted by Peke (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 17:28

I bought my Sharpe microwave drawer from an online company. I was looking today to check the price and it has gone down $100.00. Anyway, I looked at their link (hard to find) that tells you what to do if someone beats their prices. They mention some scams that mostly happen in New York and New Jersey. The people have the lowest price then charge your credit card before it is shipped, then you never get the product.

I thought it might help someone who orders online.

Here is a link that might be useful: online scams

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting online selling tactics/comments

Oh yeah! For the first time in my ordering online I was scammed by LivingSocial, which is a nationwide company. When my purchase didn't deliver, phone calls went to voice mail, they never returned calls; I asked for a refund. Nope, the time for refunds has passed, but the company really does want to do business with me. Then nothing. This has drug on since June. I asked the help desk at LivingSocial to ask the company owner to call me to schedule a visit, and got a generic email that they had contacted him and just to call him to schedule the visit, or I could order equal value for something else. At that point I just emailed them and said forget it, let's just call it what it is, a scam, and a lack of integrity. Lesson learned.

o

It's getting scary ordering online anymore, I know what you mean. I was just about to order some sinks from overstock.com when I saw many terrible reviews at the ripoff website (not sure if the TOS here permit naming it). Some here have had OK experience with overstock, but it may have changed since then.... I know I'm going to value recent good reviews by other TKO GWers as I purchase items for my project. Just now I'm awaiting delivery of some Super Susans, and will post a report if all goes well.

Any guidance where else I might look for 16 gauge single bowl undermount stainless sinks? Thanks for any ideas!

o

YMMV, but my wife and I ordered our sink / faucet from Overstock.com and were very happy with the service / price / quality. It was a stainless sink that came with a bent rim. We contacted Overstock and they replaced it: the replacement was shipped and arrived promptly, and was in good condition.

I don't shop at Overstock often, but I've bought things there several times over the last 5 years or so, and never had any issues.

o

Trust me, I WILL get my money back, lol! I'm not done yet... will keep you updated... :)

o

Had a good experience w Overstock recently as well. Ordered a bench from them. Spoke with a sympathetic guy on the phone (I was hesitant to order sight unseen, and then have to pay return shipping and/or re-stocking fees if I needed or wanted to return it). Not only did he put it in the computer to waive any fees if returned, he applied a first-time customer discount of 10% to our order.

Our bench arrived well-packed, faster than hoped for, and in decent shape. Good quality--nicer looking IRL than expected! It had a couple of very minor dings and scratches, certainly not worth an exchange or return.

This post was edited by cat_mom on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 23:39

o

ogrose, Living social has credited me for failure to deliver or schedule, they won't send you money but it will stay in your account for future use.They didn't give me any hassle about it.

o

Thank you, scrappy, but I'm curious; have they delivered on this? I'm so totally disgusted, probably because it is the first online order that hasn't totally delivered on their product. Am really not interested in exotic places to visit, fancy restaurants, etc. Probably an expensive lesson, but I'm not done yet... will keep you updated.

o

I've ordered all kinds of things from Overstock and never had a problem. The few things that I returned were handled very well... actually, I ordered the wrong kitchen faucet just last month and wanted to send it back for the correct one and the guy emailed me a paid return label even thought it was my mistake.

o

ogrose, email the company - don't call, you want something in writing - giving them as complete and detailed a history as you can of your dealings with them. Hopefully you have the names of the people you spoke to and the dates you spoke to them and some notes about who said what.

Tell them what you want (your money back? the item actually delivered?), when you want it by and when you expect a response from them. If you don't have a satisfactory response by your deadline, email them again, tell them that if you don't have a satisfactory response by the end of the next business day, you will be calling your credit card company to dispute the charge and then, if they don't meet your requirements, do just that.

Sorry, but your "forget it" email was a mistake. Don't do that again.

Companies don't want to give you your money back, but they HATE credit card disputes.

From an article in the NYT earlier this year on disputing charges:

Merchants must carve out time to respond to each dispute. They also pay one-time fees for the privilege and may end up paying higher overall fees to accept cards if disputes are too frequent. Or they just get cut off from accepting cards altogether.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here