Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcskaisgir

Which cabinet color for island???

Lisa
10 years ago

My perimeter cabinets will be a white beaded inset. I am trying to decide between these three colors for my island. My hardwoods will not be getting redone for now so this is the color they will stay. The darkest one is an espresso color w/black glaze...basically it looks black, which is what I originally wanted. But I kind of like these brown ones (both have black glaze) too.

What do you think??

Comments (71)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh...I'm scared of the painted cabinets Steph2000!

Well, after visiting the stone yard today to look for counters with hopes that it would help me in deciding on an island color, I was successful! I came across a slab that I absolutely love and think it would look better with the black/white cabinet combination. Not sure if it's too busy to use in entire kitchen or just for island...will post that in a new thread!

Thanks to all who weighed in:)

• dlbk
    10 years ago

I'd go with black. It gives more contrast with your floor, as the other 2 samples are very similar in value, and the B&W combination will look sleeker. I would choose my stone before settling on a cab color, but if you did go with the black, almost anything would work. Keep the stone color on the light/medium side since your floor is dark. Something with grey in it would work nicely (see link photo). Dark stone on dark cabs will look like a black hole in the middle of the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: [B&W kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/needham-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~109770)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlbk, that is so funny because I have another post going about my counter and ironically enough, it looks like the one in your photo! It's superwhite quartzite. It's under "is this counter too busy to use in entire kitchen?". :)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I pretty much decided to go w/the black. It really goes better w/the overall scheme I had in mind. So I went to meet w/the cabinet guy for the final time...everything is set to order, (except we're just waiting on a price for a custom piece the cabinet company is making for my hood), and I unfortunately see the newer Silas finish from Shiloh sitting there staring at me!!! I think it's so pretty! So here I am reconsidering again. Any opinions on this...wondering if it will be a quick passing fad. But it seems that grey is showing up in all aspects of design right now...

• aries61
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir : what species is the silas sample that you have in the picture? I've only seen it in cherry and to me it doesn't look that gray. I'm still trying to decide what color to do my peninsula/island in and was thinking Silas in maple, but haven't seen a sample of it yet..

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aries61: it is oak with a graphite highlight. Maybe the graphite highlight is adding to the "grayness". I am not a big fan of oak, so I would probably do it in maple or cherry but they did not have a sample of those. I would also want a black glaze instead I think to darken it a little and give a little more depth.

It's such a hard decision!!

• dlbk
    10 years ago

I'd still go with the black - your initial idea. (always trust your 1st instincts) That finish looks more cohesive with your total design.
    I feel the obvious grain on the Silas sample gets busy with the grain of your floor, and you've got activity with the grain of your counters as well.
    You won't regret the black and it will always look classic.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was going to take a look at the silas finish in maple but they didn't have a sample on maple yet. I just brought that one home for the general color. Would that change your mind dlbk?!! For some reason it really intrigues me. But it could just be infatuation:)

• dlbk
    10 years ago

While the Silas color looks nice with your stone, I don't care for it with your floor. They appear very similar in value and contrasts make a kitchen, IMO (unless you're going with an all white scheme).

Classic combinations may not have the excitement quotient of something new or 'on trend', but 10 years from now you'll be happy you went with something that stands the test of time.

• aries61
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir : What did you finally choose?

I'm going through the same thing right now. White painted perimeter and still haven't decided on what color for the peninsula/island. I talked to the dealer that I'm probably going with and she can order a sample of the silas in maple if I want for $50.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aries61, this is pathetic but I ordered my perimeter cabinets two weeks ago and still haven't decided on island color! Mostly because of counter decision...I am back and forth between a couple different counters and one looks better w/black and one looks better w/Silas. I actually did decide then it was discovered there was a mistake w/the quote which caused price to go up considerably w/my first choice, so I'm still debating. First choice is almost $3000 more than second choice...ugh!

At any rate, I have samples of the Silas on maple...one w/black glaze and one w/van dyke glaze (which is a dark brown). They look quite different from each other and the black glaze is what I'm considering. I will post pics so you can see them. Everyone I've shown LOVES the Silas and I think the black stain (actually espresso w/black glaze but it looks like black stain) would show scratches more. I'm just a little nervous that it is more trendy than the black and the black wouldn't go out of style as soon?? What counters are you doing?

Dlbk, you make an excellent point!

• aries61
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir: Would love to see pictures of Silas on maple if you could post. Which white did you go with and door style?

I haven't even looked at counters, flooring or back splash materials yet. I take forever in making my decision. The kitchen has been in planning for two years. I looked at a bunch of cabinet mfgs. I like the Shiloh paint finishes, but not real thrilled with there stain finishes.

I'm posting a picture of an island in espresso with black glaze that another gw did so you can get idea of what it looks like if curious. Sometimes looking at small sample doesn't give you the whole effect.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've tried and tried to get a good pic that shows an accurate portrayal of the color, but for some reason the color doesn't not translate well in photographs. Here are a few that came out the best...

Thank you for posting that pic of the espresso w/black glaze. It is helpful! I went with the polar white In the Charleston door style (beaded inset) for the perimeter. I have a lot of natural light in my kitchen and it looks very crisp and white without looking cream, despite being the second brightest white. And I thought it might be better since my island will be a contrasting color.

I know what you mean about taking a long time to make decisions, believe me!! It's almost painful for me!

This post was edited by lcskaisgir on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 11:55

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up...

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one...

Oh, btw, black glaze on the right, van dyke glaze on the left.

• aries61
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting. Does it look gray in person? I know sometimes colors don't show up well in pictures.

Should I spend the $50 for the sample?

I was thinking maybe just doing white on both the perimeter and peninsula with different counter material. or doing white on the perimeter and black on the peninsula with Sand-Through. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you have to pay for a sample?? My cabinet guy ordered three different doors for me in the Silas finish...black glaze, van dyke glaze, and graphite highlight (all on maple). They are not for me to keep, they will end up in their showroom with the rest of their samples, but since they did not have them already they needed them anyway. They van dyke glaze definitely reads as a warm grayish color. The black glaze reads much cooler but not cold, it's very pretty in person. It's funny, I have also considered doing my island white and doing the perimeter counters a dark gray or honed black w/the calacatta quartzite on the island but half the reason I wanted to do a stain in the first place was because it would make for a little less maintenance as far as cleaning the white cabinets and the nicks that will be made from kids sitting at the island and kicking their feet!

• aries61
    10 years ago

What did you think of the Silas finish with graphite highlight ?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The graphite highlight was not noticeable...it blended in w/the stain color so the door just looked like a solid gray stain. It was fine but not what I was going for since I have a lot of black accents in my kitchen...kitchen table/chairs are partially stained black, window treatments are black w/white lattice design, chandelier over kitchen table is black w/crystals (the one from pottery barn), and there's a fireplace w/black tile w/oriental rug that has small touches of black, chairs (taupe) & ottoman (zebra print). And while a black island or having black counters on the perimeter would match my stuff, that's exactly a reason I DON'T want it....it could look too matchy. Ugh!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And then there's this option....brown island w/calacatta counter, white perimeter w/honed virginia mist counters!! I kind of like it cuz it ties in the black without being too matchy w/a black island.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, even though that brown island in the pic above has REALLY been growing on me, my husband really wants the Silas island because it's different so I guess I'm calling tomorrow to give the go-ahead to the cabinet guy to place the order. And I'm doing the calacatta quartzite counters throughout the whole kitchen. I have spent so much time & energy on making this decision that I actually feel like I could throw up now that the decision is made, I mean literally nauseous. None of my inspiration pictures have a gray island...only black, white, or brown. I don't like not having a photo to be following...ugh! Fingers crossed that I like it:)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

There is a kitchen in my idea book that has a grey island that might make you feel better about the decision. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful.
    Incidentally, the designers notes call this island blue, say its a special blend of stains, but it sure reads grey to me.

PS. Can't use the imbed function on Houzz on iPhone,
    It's the Jewett Farms and Co Boston kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzzphotos[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/history-is-in-the-details-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~2474503)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mlweaving_Marji, thank you!!! That is a beautiful kitchen! I've come to terms with it!! I'm still considering doing my perimeters in a dark gray or black like that. Just depends on how much I love the Calacatta when it comes in next week.

Now, on to the bigger problem at handâ¦my furnace is not working and it's 60ð in my house right nowâ¦ugh!! Not good timing:(

• steph2000
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir - I totally get the indecision thing and the pain of finalization after really immersing yourself in the options and doing so much (too much?) research. It's a virus. I have it, too.

And why is it that every appliance in the house decides to go into rebellion when you initiate remodeling? (My dishwasher just decided to go into rebellion, my fridge meat/cheese drawer broke off, my bathroom decided to start looking disgusting when it wasn't on the list for renovation.) Hopefully, focusing on the furnace and getting heat will be, um, grounding.

I think I'm going with the darkest stain that reads black. I'm hoping it ends up reading more black than brown. I'm not convinced it will...

But, at the end of the day, I think once we finalize decisions, we wrap our minds around endorsing them and can move on. And, that's a good thing! So, congrats on making a decision!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steph2000, I was just rereading lighting posts and some were yours! I wondered what you ended up choosing.

People think I'm crazy doing research on things like recessed lights. Most people don't give it a thought at allâ¦their electrician tells them what they should do and what to use and they just do it. And yes, it is a virus!! I've researched waaayyyyy too much. In the end, I wonder if it even pays off and if any of these minute details will make a difference.

I feel your pain on everything going wrong with everything else in the house too! This week the hinges broke off the cabinet door that houses my garbage, I had to repair the dishwasher, and now the furnace has an issue! No more!!!

Refresh my memoryâ¦are you using Shiloh also? Their darkest stain w/the black glaze is what I was having such a hard time deciding between. I compared that sample door to a sample door from another manufacturer (Medallion) that was actually stained black and they looked pretty much identical. I'm sure it will be beautifulâ¦I'm not convinced that it's not what I should be going with myself. But when my husband weighed in about the Silas finish (and he doesn't weigh in on much!), I just decided to go with it.

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

We have a gray stained island and honed Calacutta top with white beaded inset perimeter cabs and leathered steel gray top. We're in the thick of installation so the kitchen is really, really incomplete and a mess.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

I WISH I could use Shiloh. I fell in love with them early on. Alas, no dealers in Alaska. We are going frameless and right now that looks like Bellmont. Their darker stain is gorgeous but it really looks very dark blackish brown, not BLACK. I hope it is enough. I'm not doing the glaze, though, as I am desperately trying to be budget conscious (yeah, right).

The lighting thing has been a flipping saga. I mean, who knew 4" LED lights that were flush with the ceiling would turn into a 40 hour research project??? I literally can not find one option unless it is a gimble light. It seems to come down to retrofit 4" options being limited. I can't figure out why... So, now that I've found something, it seems like I have to use it. I just don't know if I SHOULD be going that route. The fact that it is so hard to find and ends up being a gimble has me doubting both the option AND my sanity. LOL

And...my bathroom towel rack broke today when I got out of the shower. I mean, come on. My house is in shambles. Can't I just hang my darn towel up without stress???

I have friends who have told me they are so stressed about my remodel they don't want to talk about it. I just kinda stare at them... I swear, I barely say anything to them about it. It just stuns me. Some of the research is because of my personality, but a lot of it is because a) we are DYI'ing and b) what I want seems very hard to find. I'd love to be able to tell a contractor or kitchen designer "I want this - get it for me". It just doesn't work that way, though, even for a lot of people who have contractors or KD's! apparently.

I'm sure your island will be great. It seems like it goes well with the floors, too. And, I mean, you are getting great cabs and counter. What could go wrong?

We'll have to compare notes on the other side and see if this research pays off...

• aries61
    10 years ago

marthastoo, sounds like a nice combination. Any pictures that you could share? I don't mind if it's incomplete or a mess. I actually enjoy looking at the work in process pictures.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes marthastoo, would love to see some pics :)

Steph2000, hang in there! "can't I just hang my darn towel up without stress?", lol, no you can't! Everything has to be difficult! Who knew a kitchen reno would be this much work?!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I spent hours on recessed lighting. I knew more about trim options than the GC. Friends/family think I am crazy.
    Nothing in my house is broken (knock on wood) but my backsplash arrived (6 week wait) and it is the wrong color. Today, I am tired of this.
    Steph, you can always talk/vent with your GW friends. Who need real friends?
    Lcskaisgir, 60ð is cold. You do need a real friend to stay with. I'm looking forward to your stone arrival next week. I hope you love it.

• deedles
    10 years ago

icskaisgir: I've scanned down through the thread but can't find which island color you decided on? Really like the black and they way it pulls the dark grain from the (beautiful) floor but just wondering what you decided on?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy, that is AWFUL!! I can't believe you waited 6 weeks and the tiles were the wrong color. I would be tired too. How frustrating. Can they expedite the correct color to you since it was their mistake or do you have to wait 6 more weeks? Ugh!

I have had my fireplace on since I got up this morning and my main floor is 68ð, but my upstairs and downstairs are probably much colder.

deedles, nooooooooo! I didn't get the black and I really had a tough time deciding. It was between the black or the gray w/black glaze. I ended up doing the gray w/black glaze. I was 50/50 between the two and would flip flop on a daily basis. Then my husband suggested getting the gray because it's different and why not?!! So I went with itâ¦order went in today for the island (perimeter cabinets were ordered 2 weeks ago!). I have 24 hours to make any changes. It really doesn't matter which one I pick, I will always wish I had gotten the other one:)

• romy718
    10 years ago

lcskairgir, which means either choice will look great. You had the samples in your home, next to your floor, not on a computer moniter. If the black looked significantly better, you would have known it and it would have been an easy decision. Your too TKO to make the wrong decision.
    The tile was the correct silver/grey but there were NONE of the light blue tiles, which I loved. As long as they can get me some of the blue tiles, I'm fine. Getting those blue tiles may be a battle. Sorry to go off topic.
    Stay warm!

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

Ok, here are a few pics of my kitchen. I could write a book on what had gone wrong during this whole process, but I am sure everyone else has a similar story. This photo does a fair job of capturing the color of the island. It's called classic gray and the wood is alder. It reads a greenish gray. It looks fabulous with the Calacutta, which has some greens and brown in it.

More pics:

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMGâ¦you have NO idea how happy these pictures make me!! I love everything about your kitchenâ¦the glass doors, the lights, the island color, the countersâ¦can't wait to see it completed!!!!

I tossed and turned last night about the gray islandâ¦thought about calling and changing to black this morning. Not anymore!!! :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Marthastoo- your kitchen is even prettier than the pics you posted last week.I love the light fixtures. I couldn't see your floors in your other pictures- they are beautiful. Your marble looks stunning! All the colors look great together. So pretty & you're not even done.

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir - I'm so happy my pics could be of service. I know exactly what you mean about there being very few photos of gray islands out there. Most are gray painted islands and I didn't want a painted island.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Marthastoo - that looks like a really great combination. I think the grey looks fabulous. I can't wait to see the final reveal

Icskaisgir, Romy & Steph - all the research, thought, sleepless nights will pay off - they'd better, right? I can relate to your pain - the choices and options are endless. I'm ready to click my heels three times and wake up to the completed kitchen of my dreams!

• aries61
    10 years ago

marthastoo, thanks for posting the pictures. I'm glad to see that someone else went with a raised panel door in their kitchen. I was second guessing my choice in doing that and almost changed to a flat panel door.

Should be getting my sample of the gray stain from Shiloh this week and then will decide to either go all white or white and gray.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aries61, did you get your Silas samples yet?

• aries61
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir, Yes, I received my sample last week. Don't like it at all. I've decided that I'm going to do white both on the perimeter and on the peninsula/island. Not real fond of any of the Shiloh stains.I thought of doing another brand of cabinets for the peninsula/island in a stain, but decided against it.

I'm going to do the Oxford door with 5pc drawer heads in Arctic White. I thought that the polar and soft white had more of a yellow hint in them which I didn't care for. I was originally going to do the Richmond door, but after looking at the Oxford door, I decided that I like the panel profile better on the Oxford.

Just need to make time to order them. We've done everything via email and I want to go in to order them to go over every line on the order to make sure it's correct. Work is busy and making the time to order is difficult because of work. Pricing is at $7533 currently with tax and delivery included. Just need to make a few some changes so I'm guessing should change a little.

Thanks for asking.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well at least you can rest assured that you have seen it in person and were able to rule it out. You won't always be wondering. Sounds like your decisions are made, which is the hardest part. Good luck with everything!

• belabama
    10 years ago

Black for sure

• Mare123
    9 years ago

Hi. I just ordered the grey silas cabinets on cherry with black glaze... how are you liking the cabinets? What granite did you go with with the grey silas? I did the standard plywood dovetail drawers vs the hardwood, which I hope I don't regret...it was an extra 792$ for literally 5 or 6 drawers.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mare123, I am loving my Silas cabinets! They are something that everyone really notices and comments on because it's an unusual color, at least to people that aren't into decorating. Most people have never seen gray stained cabinets around here. It's so nice to have some cabinetry that doesn't show every single fingerprint and drip (as compared to the rest of my kitchen which is white). I have no recollection as to whether I have the standard drawers or the hardwood. Are you doing all of your cabinets in the Silas finish? What kind of counters?

• Mare123
    9 years ago

Yes because my kitchen is not that big, and we are tearing a wall in between, which will combine the family room as well.. so really its a 3x7 island, built in pantry around fridge and then the along wall where sink and oven is, which is about 4 or 5 cabinets across perimeters I guess its called ;)... I am thinking of a bianca perla quartzite! However the contractors numbers which do not make sense at all come out to 144$ a square foot, so I need to do some serious research on my own. What wood/ glaze did you do on the silas? Hoping ours aren't too too dark. Glad to hear you are happy with the quality :) I do believe we over paid, since we are unsure of the %age of the contractor's mark up :0

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by lcskaisgir on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 8:38

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did maple w/the black glaze. I can't remember if I even saw a sample on cherry. As I recall I saw the van dyke glaze, black glaze, and graphite highlight all on maple. I hate thinking I'm being overcharged for something and not being able to know how much I'm being upcharged. I ordered our cabinets from a cabinet salesperson (who also designed the layout) who gave me the shiloh catalog to take home, which had the prices listed. He then gave me 40% off the list price. I hired my contractor to do all of the work only, not order materials through. Maybe you could ask your contractor to see the catalog? Or did you say you've already ordered?

$144/sq ft sounds ridiculously expensive for counters! Mine are calacatta quartzite and I don't believe I paid anywhere near that much. Although doing a built up edge on my island upped the price quite a bit.

• Mare123
    9 years ago

Yes we've ordered with expected arrival first week of December!!! So excited and nervous at the same time... THank you for responding; wish I would have found this website earlier!!! I will post pics when finished :)