Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

Layout Suggestions Welcome

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

See attached a rough drawing of proposed kitchen after talking to the people at the counter/appliance store. However, I've gotten some concerns in the New Home section, so maybe a kitchen expert could help :)

Basically I have a 16' outside wall on the left. Certainly want a nice window over the sink there. Below that on the left is a 6' desk with a window - home 'command center', recipes, just off the kitchen.

Having that opening to the desk area, and access to the pantry, I have 13' of wall space, for a total of 19' 'wide'. That is the entire kitchen and dining area.

So, where to put appliances? I want:
- Standard Side By Side / Bottom Freezer Fridge - 36" wide
â¨- Cooktop with a layout of 30" Base / 9" Spice Base / 36" Cooktop / 9" Tray Storage / 30" Base - 9'6" there. â¨
- Double Oven â¨
- Microwave

Suggestions welcome...

Comments (6)

• Buehl
    9 years ago

This layout is confusing - what is the actual scale? Or, is it not to scale and we have to work with your "verbal" measurements, not what we see in the layout.

While it looks like each square is 1'x1', it doesn't work when I see the 9" spice cabinet a full square's width and the Warming Drawer (?)/MW cabinet looks like 36", not 30". Ditto the base cab b/w the cooktop and ovens. If it's not to scale, we need actual measurements on the drawing - otherwise it's difficult to figure out what dimension is where - especially b/c the Kitchen & Dining area appear to overlap somewhat and are open to other rooms. Where exactly is the "Dining" area?

E.g., The Kitchen itself appears to be 16'x16' - not counting the Pantry and desk. Yet you say the left wall is 13' not counting them and that the left wall is really 19' (but, it looks like 16' in the Kitchen + 6' desk = 22' when counting squares).

[09/18/2014: I re-read the posts and I misunderstood - the 19' is the "bottom" wall area....2' + 4' + 13' = 19'.]

The "Dining Room" - is it to the right of the cooktop/ovens counter run or in front of the ovens?

Appliances - this is what you either stated or what I see:

• 36" cooktop

• 30" Warming Drawer? (It says "Warm")

• MW - MW drawer or Countertop MW?

• 36" standard depth refrigerator

• Double Ovens - looks like 36"W in drawing...you can probably go as narrow as 31.5" with 30" ovens, but 33" is more common.

• 24" DW

What about the rest of the first floor and how the Kitchen & DR relate to the other rooms? We need to know traffic patterns, etc. as well.

While we can look up other threads you may have on other forums, it's usually easier to see everything in the same thread.

This post was edited by buehl on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 0:07

• Shelley Graham
    9 years ago

Assume your fridge is counter depth and won't stick out as shown. I don't see the need for the extra smidge of counter at the wall next to the fridge.

I assume you will be using your island mainly for prep. I couldn't see the complete dimensions. Will you have drawers or shelves there? Where is your trash...maybe an 18" pullout there? What is the clearance between the island and your counters?

It appears that your MW and warming drawer are under the counter so that the cooktop is centered on available counter space...correct? That will also give you a quick landing spot for pantry items before taking them to your prep area.

Overall, a good start!

• Buehl
    9 years ago

"Assume your fridge is counter depth and won't stick out as shown. I don't see the need for the extra smidge of counter at the wall next to the fridge."

Regardless of whether the refrigerator is counter or standard depth, the refrigerator doors must extend out past adjacent cabinets, counters, walls, etc. so the doors can fully open. This means that all adjacent items must be no deeper than the refrigerator's box (+ air space behind the refrigerator) - excluding the doors & handles.

In this case, the wall the refrigerator is adjacent to is deeper than the refrigerator box, so space is needed b/w the wall and the refrigerator to allow the refrigerator doors to open fully. Rather than put in 9 to 12 inches of filler, the most common solution is to put a tall pullout cabinet b/w the wall and the refrigerator. How wide that cabinet needs to be depends on the thickness of the refrigerator doors, how far the handles stick out, and how deep the adjacent item (wall, in this case) is. (The deeper the wall, the more space you need.)

What is unusual in this layout is that the wall adjacent to the refrigerator contains a window only about 2' from the back wall, so it appears the BurbMomOfTwo has put in a narrow base cab + upper cab instead of a tall cabinet to accommodate the window. However, what she is not accounting for is that she will need filler for both cabinets to allow the doors to open and that the opening b/w the refrigerator and wall will be narrow - making that upper cab, at least, not usable for much. I recommend eliminating that window or moving the refrigerator elsewhere.

This post was edited by buehl on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 1:42

• CAbeachGal
    9 years ago

What type of cooking do you do the most? How many people use your kitchen at the same time? Will you really use that warming drawer and is it worth the space?

I would definitely list the activities you do and enjoy the most and then set your kitchen up to support those. For example, it might be easier to have your microwave closer to your refrigerator. Or your dishwasher in the middle of the cabinet area so that you can put everything away in just one or two steps.

I don't know what's outside the window, but generally people like to sit at a table and look outside. If it's your backyard for example, that becomes a focal point and it is good to be a part of the outside even if you're just eating toast and drinking coffee.

In a previous kitchen, I had a huge area for coffee and espresso. I turned a desk area into my coffee station and had all of my brewing pots, makers, grinders, etc. in one area and it was quite fun to select which method, type, etc. each morning and afternoon.

Put some FUN in your kitchen and you'll be happy with it no matter what.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

There's an FAQ topic in the Kitchen FAQs discussing what information is useful when asking for layout help. It's linked below (I thought I had linked to it previously, but it appears I did not.)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking for advice on the layout of this kitchen.

- Looking at Kitchen/Eat In area and NO Formal Dining Room
    - Counter Space / Storage is wanted. Current U-shaped kitchen is 8 x 13 x 6 1/2 and does NOT have the storage I need for current cookware, etc.
    - Window over sink a must !
    - Nothing but prep sink in island, if possible.
    - 2 adults, 2 kids and live in mother in law who helps as she can in the kitchen

- concerned Fridge / Oven placement is odd
    - where to put a Microwave? 'True' Double Oven
    - 15 5 1/2 'wide' enough? Looks like I may need to turn the island
    - table is furniture piece

Pass thru / flow space is a big concern of husbands. Found a Frank Betz Plan that has this similar type of layout - the East Minister - http://www.frankbetz.com/homeplans/plan_info.html?pn=3963

I've posted varieties of this plan before, and this is the latest house plan provided by builder.

This post was edited by burbmomoftwo on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 10:39