Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, new refrigerator is too tall to fit under a cabinet!

Posted by lolittakat (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 17:17

Hello, we are new home owners. Our kitchen recently flooded and we had to rip out the laminate flooring. We are taking this opportunity to put tile flooring and upgrade our appliances to stainless steel. We are not planning on redoing the counters or the cabinetry, as they are well made and in excellent condition. The problem is, that as of now, our new chosen fridge is 1/8" too tall to fit under the cabinet and that's measuring from the concrete up, and it requires 1/2" clearance on top for circulation. We can't find another refrigerator we like in our price range and we have to consider all of our options in modifying the cabinet. We are also concerned with the expence it would entail, and my husband would have to do the work himself. Above the cabinetry is the soffit that houses a vent and some pipe work. Would it look strange to remove the cabinet over the fridge and replace it with an open shelf? What is usually Done in this situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, new refrigerator is too tall to fit under a cabinet!

Move the cabinet up.

o

The easiest option would be to remove the over the fridge cabinet and replace it with open shelving.

Check though and see if that is the overall height including the hinges or the height of the refrigerator carcass itself. Sometimes the hinges stick up about an inch more.

o

For only 1/8" you can see if the bottom of the cabinet can be trimmed. We did this in the old house...there was a lip on the front and the part that was the bottom of the shelf was recessed up inside, so they were able to trim just the front board and it fit. If not, then look into getting the cabinet modified some other way. For such a little bit, you should be able to find a solution.

o

I don't remember who this fridge belongs to but here's a good adjustment - open shelved, just cut down the cabs or a combination of the 2 -

0_0_0_0_581_775_csupload_42976290_large

o

Trim the cabinet. You should have 1/4" easy that can come off if you've got framed cabinets.

o

You can remove the feet on the bottom of the frige. Or, you can remove the plastic hindge on the top to give you the amount that you need.

o

This is what we have going on now with an old fridge, new fridge taller. We can't modify tese cabinets as they are custom, and we don't know where they were ordered. I'm open to an open shelf idea, since I can't reach in there anyways, I'm just worried that it will look unfinished there

o

I'd double check the specs. As mentioned above, the hinges at the front are taller, usually the height that is listed. The body is likely shorter, and you may be ok if the cabinet only covers the body. Or you may have to trim just the first few inches a bit if they cover the hinges.

o

This is precisely why we stuck with our old, tiny fridge for so long in the old kitchen. I didn't want to cut out the cab above (would have been necesaary to lose several inches for a newer fridge) and lose the storage. Plus, my cabs then were site built so all the uppers on that row were one long piece.

I second, or third, the suggestion to check the fridge specs. It might be that the measurement to the top of the hinge is what's holding you up. The body of the fridge could be shorter and fit under your existing cab. The fridge doors where the hinges attach will stick out beyond your upper cab anyway unless the fridge is a built-in unit.

What fridge were you planning?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here