Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkinhouse

Width of only entrance to kitchen?

pumpkinhouse
10 years ago

Is four feet enough for the only access to the kitchen? At first I thought it would be, but that might be a bit tight for two people to pass.

This post was edited by pumpkinhouse on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:29

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Most hallways are under 4', 36" is required. Most interior doors are 32". It shouldn't be a problem.

• pumpkinhouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But would a space wider then 48" be better? I can certainly take away some cabinet space. Or would it be too much? I do t want two people to have to squeeze past each other.

• renov8r
    10 years ago

I think at least a 36" doorway is good. You never know when your home will have someone in a wheelchair. They need 36" for ease of movement.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The kitchen has 4-foot aisles on three out of four sides. I don't think the entry into the kitchen needs to be wider than the work aisles.

However, what is the purpose of the peninsula on the lower right? Is it seating? Does it have to be that length for a reason?

This post was edited by palimpsest on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 18:05

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

Do you feel as though you have more than adequate cabinet space? Also how much would you consider opening the entrance up? Four feet is enough. However if you would't miss the cabinets that would be lost as a result of expanding the entrance into the kitchen than you may be better suited with a larger opening. I am not sure what room is on the other side of the entrance leading to the kitchen however another consideration before expanding the entrance would be the lost wall space in the room opposite the kitchen.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Like this. You've got your seating. You've got two ways in and out of the kitchen. You've got good separation of the cleanup and the prep with the addition of the prep sink. And the fridge is right there on the edge so that it can be accessed by those outside the kitchen and the cook without them walking on top of each other.

• lisa_a
    10 years ago

Although you didn't ask for feedback on your kitchen plan, GreenDesigns is spot on with the blunt assessment. Given your generously proportioned kitchen, you deserve a better plan than (what I assume is) a builder spec kitchen.

This post was edited by lisa_a on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 2:48

• Buehl
    10 years ago

I have to agree with GreenDesigns and Lisa_A...I think you would be better off starting from the beginning with a blank slate, reading and answering the questions in the "Layout Help" topic of the "Read Me" thread, and then posting your floor plan here for help.

You have a lot of wasted counterspace and too big a distance b/w the Cooking Zone (where the range is) and the Prep Zone (where the only sink is). In addition, if that's the refrigerator on the left wall, it's in the middle of the kitchen where it interferes with the Prep Zone and draws all the traffic into the working areas of the kitchen. If it's the oven(s), it's still an obstacle in the Prep Zone and still causes separation of the Prep & Cooking Zones.

If it's the ovens, where is the refrigerator?

If it's the refrigerator, where is your oven (or ovens) b/c it looks like you have cooktop, not a range.

What about your MW?

Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!