Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmar00_gw

Just when I thought I was done...

KarMar00
9 years ago

so there I was... finally had everyone out of my house. Finally eating real food at home again. Everything nice and clean. All I had left was to paint the trim and ceiling. No big deal, my apparently still naive self thought, you have a good painting crew just a phone call away! And they are good. They brought a better color match for the old trim color, so I don't end up painting it all over again. Here's where my problems start, I was seriously not thinking when the electrician was here. I now recognize since we moved our table over about a foot, our dining room light is going to need to move a foot. Now I'm waiting on a new light fixture and the electrician to move it all around. That is holding up painting progress. ugh.
AND I was disappointed to hear the painters suggest since they're doing the ceiling and the trim, I should just have the walls repainted too. They say this will save labor. I guess. I'm just really ready to be done, not people into my living/dining. So here I am trying to pick a new wall color.
When I looked at paint chips, the darker one here (light french gray) was my favorite by far. No blue hues, no brownish, no purply. It looks dark on the walls already. The bottom color is modern gray which is what all our bedrooms are upstairs. I always said I should have gone darker. I think it looks good with the granite, but it looks almost white above the door. :\

Comments (6)

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I could just use the same color as what is there "Windsor griege" since my original plan was to leave it. My mom always calls my walls green though, which drives me batty. I gravitate towards the grays, so if I'm going to change now is the time

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I think you need bigger samples.

When I was testing paint colors in my kitchen, the cream I chose read gray in almost any light - because I was painting over (and therefore next to) the existing yellow walls.

Once I painted a big enough spot to take the yellow out of the equation, the gray disappeared.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Gorl, I SOOO understand your aggravation! I have been testing paint samples for months, I kid you not!

Annkh is spot on with her advice. Bigger samples, hang a sample board of trim color next to it over the current color, and do samples on every wall. The lighting can change everything, and, in my case, uv treatment on the windows casts a blue tint and mucks it up further. Second coats can make all the difference, too.

Greys are among the WORST to choose! Bring home a variety of chips, even ones you tjink are too brown or green or yellow. They really can change so much in your house on your walls.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Um, a bummer for sure. Is a remodel ever really done? Sorry, no advice but I can commiserate with you on 'being done'

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I feel for you. We finished our kitchen remodel and thought we were DONE...until I noticed that the lr/dr walls just didn't "go" with the new kitchen. Prior to the reno, the kitchen was completely closed off so no need to worry about coordinating the colors but now, with kitchen open to the lr and dr, it just didn't look right. So new paint for the lr/dr and now the blinds in the living room look sort of yellow against the new paint so we order new blinds. And the hallway off the living room leading to bathroom and bedrooms looks dingy...sigh. My DH decided the lights/ceiling fans don't look right AND he wants to replace the front door, which is now open to the kitchen where it wasn't before!! It's kind of comical when you think about it...pretty soon the kitchen gut/remodel will wind up leading to a complete refresh of our whole first floor!!!

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha I know! It's quite ridiculous isn't it? This is the reason DH would rent forever. ..