Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl217

Finished Rustic Modern Kitchen with Soapstone

countrygirl217
12 years ago

I want to start by saying THANK YOU GW community! This has been a wonderful source of information. I started lurking/occasionally posting two years ago when we were going to remodel our house at the time, then we found out we were moving so we didn�t do it then we bought our house now that we basically gut-remodeled the entire house, save the master bath. I am not sure how I have survived a whole house remodel, living like gypsies for four months in a new town with a 3 year old and 18 month old, but somehow I did and I give all the thanks to GW for helping me make the remodel simply spectacular.

Our original plans for our house were only to replace the carpet with wood and tie into the existing oak flooring that was in areas of the house. The oak ended up being terrible quality, unable to be refinished, and had extensive water damage that wasn�t apparent until the old owners vacated. So the project moved to replacing all flooring in the house to gorgeous wide plank walnut. Then the walnut started going down and the oak cabinets, which I had planned on keeping in the kitchen because they were custom good quality cabinets, looked extremely dated and the countertops were ugly, IMO. We found electrical issues (the house is in an area that codes are routinely broken). Somehow along the line we ended up with a whole house remodel, including 3 � bathrooms and a kitchen. I feel much better knowing what is behind my walls now! We are thrilled with the end product as well. The problems we encountered along the way mainly stemmed from the fact that we did not have a GC over the project and my husband ended up heading up the project. It was time consuming and stressful! Next time we�ll hire a GC, but there better not be a next time because this is our forever house!

The things I changed in the kitchen were mainly just cabinets and finishes. Luckily we had a Wolf wall microwave/oven combo and Wolf gas cooktop purchased within the last year from the seller. I replaced the DW and refrigerator (defective and history of causing water damage�not taking a chance on the walnut) and took the wall oven/microwave out of the corner cabinet to free up some space, which allowed me to replace the old 36" Sub Zero that was 16 years old to the 42" Sub Zero brand new. I also took out the "bar sink" because I didn�t feel like I needed a second sink, and it was in a bad location so if I was going to change the bar sink to a prep sink I�d have to re-plumb and move locations and I just couldn�t handle that at the time. I kept the cooktop in the island mainly because I couldn�t find a better spot for it on the wall without messing up the window corner and wall oven combo. Island cooktops aren�t my favorite, but I�m hoping it�ll grow on me. Other than those things, the layout is the same but I did make the island straight instead of the strange bad Feng Shui crooked island. I can�t imagine standing at an angle to cook on that island cooktop for 16 years. ACK!

Appliances:

DW: Bosch

Wine Fridge: Sub Zero

42" refrigerator: Sub Zero

Cooktop, wall oven/convection microwave: Wolf

Countertops: Soapstone

Sink: 36" Shaw Original single bowl, white

Faucet: Kohler Simplice in stainless

Perimeter Cabinets: Canyon Creek Cabinets out of Seattle, maple painted color-matched BM Cloud White with a liquorice glaze

Island Cabinets: Canyon Creek rustic alder taupe stain with liquorice glaze

Hardware: Top Knobs Aspen cup pulls, handles and knobs in medium bronze

Floors: Wide plank walnut consistent with entire house

Rugs: Dash and Albert Montana Stripe

Kitchen table: Antique store find stripped and refinished by a local craftsman

Kitchen chairs: Borkholder Windsor chairs bought unfinished and finished to match the table by local craftsman (not finished yet, so not shown)

Island counterstools: Palacek

Pendants: Hudson Valley Randolph

Chandelier: Hudson Valley Menlo Park

Paint color: BM matte in Bleeker Beige

{{gwi:1953415}}

{{gwi:1953416}}

{{gwi:1953419}}

{{gwi:1953420}}

{{gwi:1953421}}

Comments (39)

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I thought your "before" kitchen was pretty nice, but this is breathtaking. The mix of wood elements with the white cabinets is striking! Great job. Beautiful kitchen, beautiful home.

• mskitchen
    12 years ago

Exquisite! Spectacular soapstone! A great job, hope you have many happy years in your new kitchen!

• countrygirl217
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Looks great! I love the soapstone and unique shape of the counter runs. What great storage you have now! Enjoy!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Lots to love but I am particularly enamored with the soapstone, your amazing ceiling, the windows/trim, that table is YUM, love the alder island, and the floors. You should be pleased and proud... now go ENJOY!!

• belterv
    12 years ago

Just beautiful!! Love the windows!!! Would you please give more info? Your layout looks just like what we have planned.

Can you tell me the size of your kitchen? Island dimensions? Sink size? How wide are your aisles?

Everything looks so wonderful and the layout appears to give you plenty of room for everyone. I hope our kitchen will be as nice as yours.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

Lovely to see you kept the rustic elements. What kind of soapstone is it? Do you have a downdraft vent?

• countrygirl217
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sink is 36" Shaw
    Not sure what the full kitchen dimensions are (I don't have the files on my computer) but the aisle and island dimensions are as follows:
    Width bw island and beverage wall: 35"
    Width bw cooktop and back wall: 50"
    Width bw fridge and island: 44"
    Island: 84" by 75"�

The soapstone is from a local stone yard and I was told the type of ss is just branding by companies but this is a harder version of Brazilian ss. Yes, we have a wolf downdraft. I know they are not optimal but I did not want a hood above the island bc of the beams in the ceiling.

Thanks everyone! I am in love with my kitchen and ss. It looks so different in every picture it is hard to get a picture that is a completely accurate portrayal.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Wow, looks great! Has to feel good to have it finally finished. I agree, your beginning kitchen had nice bones, looked good, but this is a nice step up...enjoy. Looks like a great place to entertain and hang out ;)

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

Beautiful. The way you kept your layout and made so much more of it...those windows.
    Would love to see the rest of the house if you have a mind to show. Can I ask why you skipped the master bath? Was it already well done ? Just curious.

Look forward to pics of some cooking too :) c

• darbuka
    12 years ago

Spectacular island! Love the alder. Please tell us the name of the
    soapstone. It's stunning!

• bahacca
    12 years ago

Very nice! I'm jealous of the cookbook home!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love the window area, the ceiling, the floors, the counters, etc... It all works so well together....

Wishing you many happy years as your family grows into your home ;)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Your new kitchen is incredible! I absolutely ADORE your island. I've been trying to figure out what kind of island I want, and after seeing yours, I'm sure I want single level.

Is all the space under the island counter used for storage?

I thought your before kitchen was great too, but your after is just outstanding.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

IN LOVE!!!

~Jeana

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, love the flooring, beams, soapstone, and the corner sink! Congrats!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love your windows, countertops, cabinets, and storage. Oh to have such nice deep drawers for pots & pans would be heaven. Enjoy!!

• elba1
    12 years ago

Very very nice!!!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Lovely! The taller upper cabs along with the light color really helps make the kitchen feel light and airy. I like your new arrangement in the former oven corner and straightening out the island. Love the soapstone and light fixtures, too! Enjoy your beautiful home!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love your soapstone counters and wide plank floors!

• pamike1
    12 years ago

Countrygirl,

I love your kitchen, its a beauty!... from top, to bottom (ceiling to floor and everything in between)..just so pretty. So much better use of space, by taking out that corner oven and realigning the island, I'm amazed how much extra counter space was gained and the island expanded too!

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

It looks gorgeous! The soapsone is especially stunning, and I love it paired with the wood island. Fantastic job!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Congratulations! What a beautiful kitchen. The soapstone is spectacular, love the beams in the ceiling and the walnut floor. Great job!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

What a beautiful new space! Amazing how straightening the angles made such a big difference. I could stare at the ceiling beams all day. Your island is beautiful too. I'm not a big fan of wood cabs, but yours is really, really nice. I have an antique table also so I'll put that on my list of faves with the other elements. Very nice!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Floor, ceiling beams, soapstone, windows, floor, ceiling beams, soapstone, windows...I think my eyes have whiplash :) What a beautiful space. It's stunning. Enjoy every minute!

• Susan
    12 years ago

wow, now that's a super kitchen! love the soapstone, the windows, the corner sink...
    really lovely job, i think i'll be back to gaze at it over and over!

• friedajune
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous. Wow, you have great taste. I particularly love your corner sink. I am a big fan of a sink in the corner, cause it uses what otherwise would be pretty much dead space, and allows lots of unbroken expanse of countertop. However, when I installed my corner sink (a stainless steel undermount), I was told that installing a fireclay sink in the corner would be difficult due to needing extra support for the weight in a corner. Was the installation of yours difficult, or were there special steps needed? Thanks for the info!

• zeebee
    12 years ago

Gorgeous - I love how you took the space and kept its character while modernizing it for your needs. Your soapstone and cabinets are standouts. I'm adding your cab company to my list!

• countrygirl217
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trailrunner: we skipped the master bath bc it was the only room in the house that had been updated, and while it isn't my style, I didn't see a need. We may doit in 5-10 years after we live here a while.

Marti: I did not use the space under the island for storage. I have a huge laundry/mudroom with lots of cabinets so I didn't think I needed it. I considered it though.

Akchicago: the house is actually angled on the corner sink wall so it was a no-brained to keep the sink there. My cabinet maker had to brace the cabinet that holds the sink with a shelf. The shaw sink weighs about 200lb! Other than that there were no other problems or adjustments.

Thanks everyone! You are all so kind! I guess I don't sound strange to you all when I say I get happy when I walk into my kitchen.

• lynn85
    12 years ago

WOW! Beautiful, love your kitchen! The old kitchen was really pretty too. Your window setup is fantastic, so much light coming in your kitchen! So jealous of your beautiful kitchen!
    Congratulations on your stunning new kitchen!

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Really great kitchen! Congratulations!

• jkoebnick
    12 years ago

love love love your kitchen!!!!

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Congratulations. It's a wonderful job. Many many happy years.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Wow.
    I know that just life and living will change this, but what I love right now is the fact there isn't any visual clutter. I can see all the beautiful, cohesive finishes and colors. Each highlights an element around it, without clashing or the eye focusing immediately on something that intrudes.

Absolutely lovely.
    You've done an amazing job.
    I love your beams.

• kitchenaddict
    12 years ago

hi countrygirl...

What I admire about your kitchen is the overall warmth and coziness...Many white kitchens don't have that feeling. Yours does.

KA:)

• countrygirl217
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks KA and CEFreeman!

Unfortunately the clutter issue is a never ending battle! I have to clear things off when they start piling up. I try to just have my coffee maker out on the counters, next to my favorite rooster in the pictures :)

My favorite aspect of the kitchen overall isn't even seen in these pictures, but there is a gorgeous view of Montana mountains. Thanks for the kind words. It was well worth everything!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Glad I caught your kitchen remodel, it's lovely! Fan of your soapstone and beams in particular! Yours is an example of the difference correct placement of an island can make in a kitchen. Visually, I found your old kitchen a little jarring; the island acted as a giant arrow pointing to the sink window and then the ovens were on the diagonal too. Besides looking like it belongs there, your new island has a lot more great storage.

• nursetammi
    12 years ago

Everything looks just beautiful. I know you must be so happy to be finished just in time for the holidays. May you have many smiles for years to come as you walk into your kitchen each morning :)

• kfpwvt
    6 years ago

CountryGirl217 - if you happen to still be around these forums I'd love to know what size Top Knobs Aspen pulls you used in various places. I'm planning these pulls and have been debating sizes. It looks like most of your drawers might have the 9 inch pulls. Maybe 18 on the fridge handles. I was thinking mostly 6 inch but 9 on my largest drawers. But I reaply like yours and I think they are likely 9. Not sure on trash and dishwasher. Looks like 18 on fridge.