Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shari_dupuis

Possible sink problem?

Huntingflower
9 years ago

We received our cabinets today (yay!) They will be stored in another room until we get everything done that needs to be before installation. I couldn't wait to open a box and take a peek and I needed to check out the sink base so I chose that one to open.

My sink base is 21". Small yes but it is a small kitchen and I figured that I could put in a 17"x17" single bowl sink, which is larger than one section of my double sink currently in place. I need to add a dishwasher which I currently do not have. Therefore I need the smaller sink base.

Problem: the inside supports across the sides that extend from front to back are 3" wide each. Which one might think limits me to a MUCH smaller sink. Basically similar in size as one side of my two bowl sink. This is doable but definitely not preferable. I am wondering if those supports can be cut to accommodate a larger sink. Will it work and still be sturdy? Has anyone done this? The cabinets are solid wood if that makes any difference. There MUST be a way to modify this. Cut the supports and flip them so the 3/4 inch plywood is up instead of the 3" and then reattach? Just router them out to allow the shape to fit?