Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soapstone window sills?

Posted by partyof7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 17:01

I am planning a soapstone counter. I'll have a 30" Shaws sink bumped out a bit, so I'll have room behind the sink. I have 2 casement windows about 5 inches over the sink that previously didn't have a windowsill. But, I'd LOVE a windowsill.

Contractor was going to add a wood one for me, but I think a soapstone one would be cool. Does anyone have a soapstone (or granite) windowsill they can show me? I am having a hard time picturing it with a white trimmed window, and Houzz doesn't show any soapstone.

Thanks, GW'ers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soapstone window sills?

I think soapstone window sills are a great idea.
I think it was Sandn on GW a while back who had soapstone sills.
Here is one of his/her photos from their blog, "Apropos of Nothing":

Photobucket

Their kitchen was so lovely. Did they ever do a complete reveal on GW?

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Apropos of Nothing Kitchen

o

I think soapstone window sills are a great idea.
I think it was Sandn on GW a while back who had soapstone sills.
Here is one of his/her photos from their blog, "Apropos of Nothing":

Photobucket

Their kitchen was so lovely. Did they ever do a complete reveal on GW?

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Apropos of Nothing Kitchen

o

We did soapstone sills in our kitchen. Our previous sills had been wood and, since I like to place small plants in the window, I was forever worrying about the sills getting wet.

We used soapstone tile for the sills (which our soapstone slab seller, Dorado Soapstone, sold). I can't remember exactly why we didn't use remnant pieces of the slab but I like the way it looks (and functions).

Here's a picture of the window over the sink:

From Finished Kitchen

o

Yes this is my plan also. Only I am planning soapstone BS up to window sill height which is 8 inches then use a cap of SS for windowsill and top of BS.
I have never been a BS fan. GASP But I love the SS so thats that. Now I just have to find The perfect SS not easy so far!

o

A little off topic--but we had a wooden window sill in our dining room-huge window, it is full length and is only about 4 inches from the floor. Well our dogs would lay there and wait for us and chew on the window sill.

We replaced it with black granite a couple of years ago and it looks great.

Finally outsmarted the dogs!

o

Soapstone sill(s) would be wonderful. Go for it, and get your contractor out of his comfort zone!

o

Francoise47: Thanks so much for the link to Sandn's kitchen. I am also doing a marble island, and it is so exciting to see a beautiful pairing!

sw_in_austin: Love the picture of your sill. Looks just like what I was hoping it would! The tiles are really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

ppbenn: Can't even begin to think of BS, but I do love Soapstone. I'll have to look for some examples of a soapstone backsplash. I am getting Barocca from Bucks County SS. Can't wait!

Thanks so much! Definitely going for it.

o

I don't have soapstone, but I do have Emperdor dark marble in my MBR, where I have two marble window sills.

Totally unnecessary, but I sure love them.
I think it's a nice touch that pleases me.

o

I really wanted stone sills, but my DH did wood when he trimmed out the window - I wasn't home at the time :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here