Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help ASAP sanded or unsanded for marble?

Posted by JAM_SF (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 16:57

I need the great expertise of this group. I have a honed staggered marble mosaic backsplash, and have read that joints over 1/8 should be sanded, under that, you can go unsanded. My tile guy is telling me that he won't scratch the tile with sanded, and he's recommending sanded. He says it holds in place better and doesn't crack or shrink as much as unsanded.
I'm torn because I wanted the clean look of unsanded, but I am not the expert and I don't want him to leave and then find out in a month or two that he was right and the grout isn't as full and cracking.
My joints are about 1/16 in the smallest area, and then about 1/8 in the biggest areas.
He is saying that it will look more full to go sanded.
Your thoughts are appreciated!
He will be grouting tommorow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help ASAP sanded or unsanded for marble?

I don't have marble, but...

I had used sanded grout in the last kitchen with the arabesque tiles, this kitchen I was able to do unsanded with the same tiles. The look is so much better and smoother.

just a side note, I used the expensive additive to prevent staining in the grout instead of mixing with water. It was worth every cent of the $42 it cost me. Nothing stains it all.

o

Thanks Beekeepers... do you know the name of the additive? It seems I am going to have to go out and buy this, so I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

o

if you want less than 1/8 grout lines, then you need to go unsanded. i'm doing 3x6 honed marble subway tiles for my backsplash and want 1/16 grout lines, so unsanded is what i have to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here