Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebodyoasis_gw

Radiant heating for kitchen floors?

homebodyoasis
9 years ago

Hi there,

My contractor is suggesting radiant heating for the kitchen in the event we do choose porcelain.

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• jgopp
    9 years ago

It's nice to have in the winter if you live in a cold climate. A couple of things though... they are fairly expensive to run (assuming you're talking about an electric system) so you'll want to get a timer for it. Also if you have cats be prepared for them to be in there on that floor all the time.

I had tile in a previous kitchen of mine, might have been nice to have heated floors but I just used throw rugs and it seemed to be fine.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We were planning on heated tile floors in the kitchen but then we were convinced by so many on this forum to get hardwood so no heat was needed. We have heated tile floors in 2 bathrooms and love it! We also heated the granite on our kitchen island. DH installed all the systems himself the so cost was low. Also we really don't notice much difference in the electric bill during the winter. Maybe just a few dollars more. If we ever build a house I want to do the entire house with radiant floor heat.

• jsfox
    9 years ago

Curious why you heated the granite on your island? I assume you're not a baker.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Granite is cold and when you sit at the island with your arms on it, it would be unbearable in the winter. We got the idea from findhomebuilding magazine. Our granite salesperson loved the idea. She has a granite desk and in the winter has to wear 3 layers on her arms. It also helps food not get cold so quickly. The heat is programmable just like the floors and you can turn it off any time. Its great for rising dough! I always had an issue with dough not rising even though we keep our furnace set at 70 most of the time.

• huango
    9 years ago

We installed radiant heating under our wooden floor in the kitchen and porcelain tiles in the adjoining familyroom.
    We're in Massachusetts so we looooove the warm/toasty toes in the Winter.

We have hot water baseboards so it's not as expensive as electric.

Radiant is AMAZING for houses w/ high ceilings, because the heat is low, instead of all the way up in the ceiling.
    We used to be so cold at 70degrees (our house is 38yrs old). But w/ radiant, I feel warm through my feet, we set it at 67 and we're just fine. 69 is TOASTY!

W/ radiant, it should just be ON for the season.

It was my favorite splurge (splurge because we already had HWBaseboards in these rooms, unlike a new build).

Ask me your questions.

Amanda

This post was edited by huango on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 18:52

• susandumond
    9 years ago

Amanda,

I'm considering putting electric radiant heat with hardwood floors in my kitchen (we are about to do a total gut on my kitchen). Does the heat cause the wood floors to buckle or warp?

• amck2
    9 years ago

We put radiant heat under scored stained concrete (looks like tile) floors in our finished walkout basement and also in the large entryway/mud room at the lake. I love radiant heat and regret we didn't use it throughout. IMO, it keeps the warmth where you most appreciate it and it is very clean and quiet.

In our single-story starter home we heated almost exclusively with a wood burning stove in our basement. I loved the warm feel to the floor, especially when my kids were crawling and toddling babies and we spent a lot of time playing with them on the floor. That's how radiant heat feels to me only without the work, mess and safety concerns.

It takes longer to get your space to temperature when you first turn it on but once the tiles heat up they retain the warmth.

• huango
    9 years ago

commackgirl and for others interested in putting in hard wood floor over radiant heating:

Because of the hot water radiant (not electric) heating, we had to get specific hardwood.
    Originally, we were going to go w/ 4" or 5" wide pre-finished wood, due to timing (less time to acclimate/finishing...)
    But talking to the HVAC and wood floor guys and of course GW flooring, I learned that the best type of wood over radiant are:
    - Quarter-sawn and
    - rift-sawn
    not too wide hard wood.

--> So we went with site-finished rift-sawn 3"-wide white oak with a medium chestnut stain and Bona finish.
    (because I'm not a fan of the quarter sawn FLECKS: see below).
    It's been installed for 2years now and everything is still wonderful, despite our house fluctuating a LOT in temperature and humidity.
    We do not have central AC: wicked humid in the summer and wicked dry in the winter. I run the humidifier ever day in the Winter (for my kids' health).

I am so glad that we had to get site finished wood because I love my rift-sawn wood. Just beautiful!!!

please email me with any more questions.
    Amanda

left wood plank = Quartersawn
    right wood plank = rift sawn

This post was edited by huango on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 18:58