Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamlette_gw

Suggestions for long, narrow kitchen

hamlette
9 years ago

(Edited message to include photobucket images and hopefully clean up formatting.)

We redid our kitchen with new cabinets and thought we would be able to reuse our old cabinets in my mother's house, since they were newer than hers and in decent shape. Months later, I've given up on using them, will order new cabinets, but still cannot come up with a satisfactory layout. I'm hoping fresh eyes or someone who has dealt with a similar floor plan can help.

Her house is a ranch with a long, rectangular kitchen that leads to the family room. The traffic flow is one of the constraints. There has never been a dishwasher in that kitchen and trying to fit one in throws off the alignment of the sink with the window and restricts other choices.

Right now the refrigerator is tucked into a bumped-out area parallel to the hall when you first enter the room. No one can get through the current opening if the fridge door is open so enlarging/moving the doorway is the first step. After that, I'd like to use the bump-out as a pantry and go with a c-d refrigerator.

The microwave is far more important to her than her oven so we wanted to include a drawer microwave (avoid bending, save counter space). By the time I place appliances, I'm practically out of space.

We did have a designer come in to look at the room. He agreed it was tricky but his best-liked suggestion was to lay it out as a peninsula and put a banquette and table beyond that. I haven't been able to create that design satisfactorily.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. The floor plan and an attempt at a peninsula layout are here:

Basic floor plan:

Peninsula:

This post was edited by hamlette on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 13:09

Comments (6)

• Buehl
    9 years ago

You will get many more comments if you post the pictures directly in the Message box. I've posted them here for you. If you do not know how to post pictures, please see the Kitchen Forum FAQs - in particular the one about posting pictures. I've linked to the relevant FAQ below.

Edited to add:

Interesting, when I first posted this, the pictures were fine - now, they show up as red boxes. What is everyone else seeing?

Unfortunately, Snapfish can be problematical when posting pictures. I suggest you open a Photobucket or Flickr account (both free) to use for this effort.

*** Second edit:

Hamlette, did you remove the pictures? The original links no longer work either - so this may be a matter of moved/deleted pictures, not a Snapfish issue.

Basic floor plan:

Peninsula:

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ: How do I post pictures?

This post was edited by buehl on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 0:12

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Just as in FYI, all measurements should be labeled so we don't have to count boxes to try and figure out the dimensions. We need the width of each wall/door/doorway/window and the distances b/w each wall/door/doorway/window.

Yours is a little easier to "count boxes" b/c the scale is an easy one - 1 box = 1'x1', so it's not so bad.

Some questions:

1. What does the entire first floor look like?

2. Is there a separate DR or is this going to be the only eating space. One of the reasons I'm asking is that while banquettes are nice, they can become a bit more difficult to use as we age, so it would not be my first choice in this case.

3. What is the room on the left ("under" the pantry and to the left of the refrigerator)? Could you steal a couple of feet from that room for the kitchen?

4. Can the water and gas be moved? Right now, there is no workspace or real emergency landing space b/w the range and sink - far from ideal. If there is a basement or crawl space, both should be relatively easy and inexpensive to move; if on a slab, it's both more difficult and more expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

This post was edited by buehl on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 0:09

• hamlette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the aggravation caused by my first post. I did not remove the snapfish photos but set up a photobucket account and swapped in those links. I haven't had a chance to label the cabinets so I apologize for the difficulty interpreting the layout.

Buehl, you identified the problem that I'm having -- squeezing in the dishwasher alongside the sink and trying to keep that aligned with the window. It results in cramped counter space near the range.

One thing I'm considering is closing off the recessed area for more wall space to relieve the pressure on the sink run. I'd be giving up possible pantry space and turning it into a second hall closet.

Any opinions on doing that vs extending the sink run and compressing the eating area? There is no separate dining room.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Two different layout ideas I had (click on the images to make them bigger:

1)

2)

The first is, I think, more aesthetically pleasing, and if you have resale in mind, I think this layout would sell better than the second. It's got 3 work zones (so 3 cooks can be in there without running into each other), and you can seat 6-8 people around the table (8 would be kinda squishy).

The second is more functional. You'd have potential for five people to be working in the kitchen at the same time without being in each other's way, and you can seat 12 easy (14 squishy) for a dinner party or Thanksgiving or what have you.

I'd also just like to add that if you close off the current refrigerator's recessed area in the kitchen and add a door to it from the hall, I see no need to dub that a second hall closet with no relation to the kitchen. Put your pantry items in there anyway and call it the pantry. It's great storage, and it'd be one step from the closest kitchen work space. That counts!

This post was edited by Jillius on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 16:33

• hamlette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jillius,

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate the thought and effort.

Over the weekend I went by to double-check a couple of measurements and have been leaning toward closing off the recessed area, having an L-shaped kitchen with the refrigerator right where you put it. I've been tied up with other things and haven't had a chance to make the changes in the design program I use. I hadn't thought about built-in pantries but that would provide needed storage for the dinnerware.

I'm curious why the depth of the cabinet run in your first layout is 30" on the sink side. Is it required for the pantry to be useful and/or symmetry with the opposite side?

Thank you again for your help.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I did that because:

1) The distance between the sink and the fridge is quite long. Usually 5 feet is ideal with multiple cooks, and yours was more than that. I didn't want it to feel like a hike to the fridge, and I didn't want the space so large that it made the kitchen feel like it was empty and like the space wasn't well-used and was missing something.

2) On the dining side, it made the built-in china cabinets symmetrical. With a big opening like that to the kitchen, I thought it'd look odd if the things flanking the opening were very slightly un-symmetrical. Especially with the table centered on the opening.

3) Deep counters are always nice. More work space and more storage space.