Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First crack at cabinet layout... thoughts?

Posted by CamG (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 16:50

Hi everyone,
I think this is coming along well. The drafters are putting together the plans, and we're making decisions as we go. It will be time shortly to get the kitchen together. Below I have the base and upper layout. My goals are to do this on a budget and to have lots of natural light, while maintaining usefulness of the kitchen. The upper corner is a deadspace cabinet, accessed from the cabinet nearest the window. I like the current set up in that it puts the range and fridge flanking the island. I put a deeper upper cabinet recessed for the microwave, that cabinet is to the right of the range. This destroys the symmetry around the range, I know, but we don't want it below the counter, and since we're recessing the fridge, it works pretty well right there. And we are keeping the double-wide desk, I know its unpopular, but that's not changing! :)

Please let me know your thoughts--any ways to improve? Cut down on costs? Etc? (And thanks to mpagmom's amazing layout, which I looked at frequently!)

Base:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Upper:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First crack at cabinet layout... thoughts?

In case you're interested, here is the general layout of my main floor plan (the dimensions have had to change slightly, but this is pretty much it, and we decided we didn't want the micro above the desk):

Thanks everyone, and thanks especially to Summerfield for the wonderful plan she made!

o

I would push the range to the right a few inches and get a 15 or 18 inch stack of drawers to the left of range....utensils/daily flatware. that still allows 30-33 in for the big pot and pan drawers. What are the base cabs in island anyway....they don't appear to be drawers-that's why you need the handy drawers to the left of range.[or tweak something to get more drawers-in the 15-21 in wide variety].Your pantry is one that could easily house a microwave,it appears. Many people like that option as well.What else is going on in the pantry-can't really read it.

o

Looks good! I like everything but the island...unless you have a good reason for the tray storage. Is that your baking area?

Love the desk! Tell you wife she has one person, who agrees with her :)

Have you thought about shelves above the desk, rather than cabinets? Maybe a few cookbooks, some pretty display and a few other items? Just an idea...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here