Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
backsplash

Posted by Michele222 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 16:48

I have an older DCS range that we plan on keeping.
We are getting new cabinets and countertops.

In the past we had a sheet of stainless steel on the wall behind the range going up to the hood.

Now I would like a tile backslash. I have not talked to a tile person as yet. I am wondering where you start the tile behind the range. There is a back to the range that extends up a foot from the burners. This leaves wall on either side of the range that could be tiled as well.

Would they start the tile a counter height on either side of the range and then run it at that same level behind the range?

I have learned so much here. I am very indebted to you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: backsplash

I think they would go all the way up the wall behind the range.

o

Yes, all the way up to the hood but where would they start behind the range with the 12 inch back on top of it. Would they begin behind the range at the same height as they do on the counters on either side? In other words would they begin halfway up the wall behind the range or need to start their upward climb at floor level?

o

Michele222, my understanding is tilers pull the range forward or out, and start at countertop height behind the range. This way if the range is changed out to island trim, for example, you have it fully tiled.

If you're in your final home, that's your call, but it may be smart to keep enough extra tiles, just in case. Installed later, they might look different in color too. GL.

o

If you can't see it, you usually just start at the same level If you can see any area below the countertop but behind the range, for some reason, I would tile that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here