Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseykees

Countertop Opinion

caseykees
9 years ago

I am this close to finally ordering my new countertop. I will be getting laminate with a crescent edge. I want to do a tile backsplash, no idea what yet. So now my only decision left is whether to have a counter backsplash or not. I originally did not want one, but was told it was hard to keep the area clean without one.

Does anyone have laminate WITHOUT the countertop backsplash?

If I do get one, should I do get the backsplash, should I get a squared off edge so it would be easier to tile against?

Thanks
Kathy

Comments (7)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Don't have laminate in the kitchen but can't imagine why it would be hard to keep clean.

• Havaneezer2
    9 years ago

I was looking in to adding a backsplash to my laminate countertops and was told by a kitchen designer to either use the 4" laminate backsplash without tile and then paint the wall up to the cabinets, or don't use the laminate backsplash at all and do a tile backsplash from the countertop up to the cabinets. She did not feel it looked good to stack a tile backsplash on top of the 4" laminate backsplash and said it looks like a afterthought to her when it's done that way. I have seen done it both ways and I like the way it looks either way. It might be a good idea to search for pictures of laminate countertops with backsplashes to give you a better idea of the two different looks. I don't think it would be any harder to keep the edge where they meet clean with either choice.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

If you're going to tile, I would stick to one material there and forgo the laminate piece. The area from deck to cabinet is short enough already anyway. I have seen both used in attractive kitchens but depends on kitchen style too. I don't see a need for both.

Maybe the kd thinks the tight laminate seam is easier to keep clean than a caulked area? Would think so.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The short splashes were around long before tiled back splashes. I think the combination came about as people put tile on top of the short splash as an "update". It never looked like an originally-planned design but more of a mix of old and new.

So ask why it's harder to keep clean. Sometimes they tell you that because they don't have the skill to scribe the counter to the wall. You need less than a 1/4" gap for the tile to cover it.

• carolmka
    9 years ago

I agree, if you are going to go with a tile back splash, skip the 4 inch laminate, It gives a higher end look and it will be easy to clean.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Like Mayflowers said, it may be easier for them to cover up the wall seam with the 4" backsplash than to do a nice tight seam. Make sure they know you are doing a tile backsplash to the countertop.
    Pretty laminate. Please post pics after install.

• caseykees
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it looks sleaker without the counter back splash, and I am heading back to that direction. We are going to DIY the install.

I am looking forward to getting it ordered after all this time. I'm getting excited! LOL

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler