Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless Steel vs. Platinum Stainless Refrigerator

Posted by natureperson (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 08 at 16:45

I'm looking at Samsung refrigerators and see that there are some that are SS and some that are PS. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two? Also, if my other kitchen appliances are SS and I bought a PS fridge, would they look mismatched?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless Steel vs. Platinum Stainless Refrigerator

Hi, I was looking into the same issue.....from what the salesmen told me (I asked at two places) the PS is a bit less shiny/more matte and DOES NOT show fingerprints like SS. It does look a bit different than some SS appliances but if you aren't putting the fridge right next to another SS appliance then I don't think it would be very noticeable unless someone was scrutinizing it. I am going to do this as I love the non-fingerprint benefit and it won't bother me even if I know they don't all match, but if you are bothered by such things maybe it will not be a good option for you. Also, even different SS appliances can show some variance if you look very closely.

o

PS will also take magnets which if you have kids is important. Not so important if you like a minimalist look.

o

If it's b/w the two and all else being equal, I'd go for the PS...I'm scratching my head trying to come up w/a place to put my kids' pics & artwork...even at 12 & 14 they miss having their stuff on the fridge. Yes, our fridge was covered in the old kitchen and many people don't like the look, but I've found it makes the kids feel good to know you value them & their work over neatness!

o

Well this is good news. I have an extensive magnet collection... and when I FINALLY replace my heinous white fridge I can get PS.

Now that my youngest is 20 I need to pass on my favorite magnet:

"Raising teenagers is like trying to nail Jello to a tree."

o

My favorite magnet reads "I can do anything with the right pair of shoes." My oldest just turned 12 and the teen years scare the heck out of me.

o

BTW, is "Platinum Stainless" the same as "Stainless Look" or is that something else? I think it was "stainless look" that I saw that gets no fingerprints. If platinum stainless is not the same thing then I am not sure about the fingerprint thing...sorry about that.

o

I debated the same issue and decided a cleaner look (no smudgy fingerprints & streaks) and easy maintenance was more important to me than having everything match exactly so I ordered a Samsung platinum. When viewing in the store, it definitely looked much cleaner than all the SS refrigerators that surrounded it. It has a matte finish so doesn't have the "shine" of SS and is also darker in color. Initially, no appliances were going next to my frig my layout changed and I have a SS/black microwave right next to the frig so we'll see how they look together when frig arrives. Fortunately, the saleswoman said I could return it for a SS if I really didn't like how the finishes look together so decided to give it a whirl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here