Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aceofdiamonds_gw

I have a finished white kitchen to share!

aceofdiamonds
12 years ago

I haven't posted on this site, but I read diligently while we were building our new home. I thought you might want to see a few shots of my new kitchen. I am soooo loving it.

Comments (91)

• aceofdiamonds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

I feel like someone just shot me with a stun gun. Seeing your house has left me stupefied. The floors, the ceiling, the windows, the incredible attention to detail...absolutely stunning. Congratulations!

• houseful
    12 years ago

So gorgeous!! Congratulations!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

In your house, decorative art is round lines, and house / structural art is straight lines. Very smart. I like your rectangular backsplash tiles with a mottled shiny reflective surface, and the wash lighting on them. There are two different kinds of light, and the camera makes one appear yellow and the other kind appear green. But, in reality the visuals are softer. (I'll bet).

Can you describe the thin tube lighting that shines onto the backsplash? Is it from a hardware store or a specialty lighting store?

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

Amzing house. So lovely!

• katieob
    12 years ago

Hi.

Thank you so much for the information on the console. I love it! Can you also please tell me about the baskets underneath? Sorry to be a furniture stalker-I just think it might be perfect for our renovation.

Thanks & congrats again,
    Katie

• aceofdiamonds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have information on the baskets. That was one of the finishing touches that was here when I walked into the house. I know we didn't order them specifically, so I'm sure the designer just found them in a local store.

The thin tube lighting...are you asking about the undercounter lights? I don't remember making a specific selection for that in our lighting meeting, just confirming that we needed undercounter lights. However, my invoice says the vendor is AMF lighting if that helps.

• function_first
    12 years ago

Amazing. Really. I've never seen anything like it. It's huge but it's surprisingly warm and inviting, too.

On the kitchen, I love the different colors and materials. The blue hood rocks.

Great job. Hope you'll let us know when it's in Architectural Digest.

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

apparently none of my reactions were unique:

*jaw drop*

holy crap!

you must be a designer (or working with a fabulous one)

when will we be seeing this featured in Elle Decor or Architectural Digest?

Congratulations on such an amazing home!

• renorman
    12 years ago

Everything is gorgeous! Would you mind telling me what you used on your backsplash?

• dirtymartini
    12 years ago

Thank you for sharing the exterior shots, and the other rooms of the interior. heck, if I had that house I would be posting pics of it all over the internet! Add me to the "holy crap!" camp, lol. Seriously, the house is a masterpiece and I hope you enjoy many happy and healthy years in it.

• marg42
    12 years ago

Gorgeous job! That ceiling is so striking - reminds me of the beautiful one in Susanne Kasler's new book. 2 quick questions: I'm also looking at all of the same Miele apps for my remodel (except for the speed oven - we're not that healthy yet!) and was wondering if you love your speed oven. I love the idea of having so many functions in one! My only concern is that if I give up an add'l 30" oven for it, (I have a 48" range planned), will the space in the speed oven be enough?? I think the speed oven will be a godsend with kids - ie., you don't have to turn on the bigger ovens every time they want something. We have a Miele showroom here too - I need to go for a demo!
    2nd question: I'm also considering the Caesarstone/marble mix. Have you been happy with both surfaces? Any advice? Oh, and what is the fabulous backsplash tile?!
    Beautiful, warm home! So inspiring too :).

• teacats
    12 years ago

Wow!!! Just gorgeous! And yes -- I'm sure that it will indeed be in magazine -- sooooo lovely!

• fatherdowling
    12 years ago

I can't even handle how gorgeous your home is. I've died and gone to heaven. I would love to live in your pool bath.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

WOW! That is some house! Really gorgeous and yet looks so livable. I love having parties and people over, and ooh wee, would I have some fun in that house! Congratulations on a beautiful home with lots of personality.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

I just had to look again . . . spectacular. I am doing a walnut island but have considered some sort of ceasarstone for the perimeter for practicality purposes. I have a sample of the new Torquay and it looks pretty good. What did you use? I love the idea of marble but after several days in a row of coming out and finding coffee stains from the french press on the counter (hubby is up and out early often and not the neatest french press maker), I am wondering if it is practical for us. . . particularly since on the perimeter it won't be as visible unless you are right on top of it.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

aceofdiamonds how many hours of GW reading did you do before and while you were building your new home?

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

wow! your house is amazing!! i thought those were magazine pics!! congrats and enjoy!!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I agree with the prior poster that your house is so beautiful that I thought these were magazine photos! Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen and stunning home that is tastefully decorated!

• Parachuting
    12 years ago

@aceofdiamonds - your house is stunning! I am building a house with a 2-story kitchen also and would love to see pics of your kitchen ceiling and how your island pendants are suspended. Thanks!

• aceofdiamonds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm definitely enjoying the Miele speed oven. It's amazing how fast it preheats compared to my other oven. I definitely need to play with it more, though. I'm sure I'm just beginning to touch upon what it can do.

LOVE my countertops. The color in the kitchen is is Buttermilk. We put Organic White in the laundry room. I love that, too. It seems to pretty solid. I have three boys. About a week after we moved into the house, one of my sons was doing a project for school. He was coloring with permanent marker. I didn't notice until the next morning when we picked it up, that it had bled through to the counter. A quick spray of lysol with bleach cleaned it right up, no problem.

We also had black paint (from the hood) spilled on the Carrera Marble. Thankfully, it cleaned up, too. Ha Ha

Don't know the exact name of the tile, but it came from Walker Zanger.

• deepaandy
    12 years ago

beautiful home! can you please tell us about the backspash in the kitchen? we are looking to do a white kitchen and this helps. we ere looking for a backsplash and this looks really good.

also the white stone/tile above the bath tub looks great - can you please share what it is? thanks

• aceofdiamonds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kitchen Backsplash:

Walker Zanger - Grammarcy Park - Color is called Pipe Smoke

I don't think the pictures do it complete justice. It's one of the most commented on features when people come into the house. I've heard more than once that it's the perfect color for the ktichen.

Master Bath Wall - Wow, we went back and forth on this one. The tile is came from Waterworks. It is so beautiful in person. It's called Aqualinea? It was $80 sheet, so ultimately, we did not use it on the entire wall. We alternated rows of it with rows of Thassos marble which was a lot less expensive. It turned out great for me.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Absolutely exquisite. Well done, Ace! It's glorious. And thank you for sharing your house with us.

Waxing philosophical here: You know one thing I love about GW? We thoroughly enjoy this masterpiece, which must have cost (I am guessing) well into 7 figures (or maybe 8?). But we are also fervid about the oh-so-right budget reno of the 120 sq. ft. 1920's kitchen, or the tasteful remake of the 1970's one. Makes me warm inside to see them all done well.

• aceofdiamonds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Woah! Definitely not 8 figures. We are Texas. Bigger for less $$$. :)

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Holy. Flippin'. Cow.

**THUD**

(Shelayne down for the count.)

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I love everything you did. It's so NOT cookie cutter. The sculpture you did over the fireplace is so brilliant. It reminds me of blowing bubbles from one of those rings that we had as kids and watched the bubbles flow out of the ring all connected and then separated in the air. Gorgeous! I was thinking no wonder your kids liked it so much! A very gracious and lovely home, enjoy it in good health!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

sochi, an artistic eye, takes good photos

sochi has a finished kitchen
    every lamp makes a reflection in the surface below it

Dean_I has a dream kitchen
    every lamp makes a reflection in the surface below it

aceofdiamonds has images
    it's an enchanting kitchen
    every lamp makes a reflection in the surface below it except for a few

• Aynb
    12 years ago

I seriously thought these are magzines photos like so many others. I can't imagine living in such a beautiful place in real life.
    Amazing house

• organicgirl_2009
    12 years ago

I agree with all the other posters....beautiful kitchen/house!! Too many wonderful things to comment on. Just curious if you could post where you purchased your counter stools from and if you know the dimensions of them. Thanks.

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!

This is one of the most amazing spaces I've seen and I've been here on GW for years already!!

I'm stunned by how well the whole house flows together and individual elements bind together! Every room in your house is to die for. I see so many houses, real expensive, which still seem like they lack soul or warmth.....but yours is so so so stunning and perfect.

Enjoy. I envy you. If this is the house you can get in Texas then I feel like moving... LOL!!

One more comment: I was drooling when I saw your outdoor spaces - pool deck, living and dining. What a great idea to incorporate large porches in the plan itself! In many of the cases, outdoor spaces look like an afterthought but in your house, they appear very much a part of the house right from the start!!

I can never tire of looking through your pictures.

Once again, enjoy your space! Congratulations on a job impeccably done.

• needsometips08
    12 years ago

Wow, done in true Texas style - GRAND!!!!! This house is fit for a star. What a beauty. Your kitchen was stunning, but put with the whole house it is all simply jaw-dropping.

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

Your home is gorgeous!!!! Have you ever heard of Houzz? You should be on there! Designer style home!

http://www.houzz.com/

• aceofdiamonds
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again, everyone, for the kind responses. This house was quite a departure from what we had before. Texas homes are usually pretty traditional, so there were times the builder thought I was crazy with the things I picked out. That said, he keeps bringing people in to see it. Ha Ha In fact, he brought a photographer in to photograph it. That's where I got these lovely pictures.

The kitchen counter barstools are from Barclay Butera with a custom ultra suede fabric. I have three boys, so I needed a fabric that is pretty bullet proof.

• Cara117
    12 years ago

Beautiful home! May I have the color & manufacturer of the brick on your gorgeous lanai?

Thanks!

• wkate640
    12 years ago

Ace, would you share with us the mfg. of the area rug in the room with the fireplace and beautiful glass over it?

• pors996
    12 years ago

Have to hand it to you, have seen several multimillion dollar properties living in Fairfield county ct, but this house is absolutely stunning.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Simply wonderful. Sumptuous, airy, light. Youthful but sophisticated.
    It makes me think of a Four Seasons, a brand new one of course!

• okiter
    12 years ago

I like to mix colors, very harmonious, great

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen cabinet

• janealexa
    12 years ago

WOW!! STUNNING!! AMAZING!! CONGRATULATIONS ON SUCH A GORGEOUS HOME!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Aceofdiamonds,

I love everything about your kitchen and house.
    But I especially love your color palette and your yellow kitchen curtains.
    Would you mind sharing the name of your fabric and/or the designer/company who made it?
    Also, do you by chance have a close up?

Thanks for indulging me.
    I made cafe curtains for my kitchen last summer at the height of my kitchen reno.

Now, as the days grow shorter and colder I realize that they look like spring/summer curtains.
    I'm trying to find a warm and sunny fabric for the winter months.
    I can practically feel the warmth of your kitchen through the internet connection!

Aceofdiamond's sunny kitchen curtains:

• jkoebnick
    12 years ago

O M G !!!!! I'm jealous!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

As inspiration, the photos in this thread do their job.
    The photos are highly retouched / photoshopped.

In the simplest photo showing the three pendants and the hood, look at the light: that alone will confirm to you it's all artificial, beyond all resemblance to reality. If you divide that photo into a dozen vertical strips, I can comment about the light and shadows in each of these strips.

The photo work may have been done by a person who had a few goals to achieve.
    A goal might be to create envy and become the center of attention. A psychological goal.
    A goal might be to get paid by one or more sponsors. Perhaps the employer is an agency that was able to get several payments. Every photo shows products. These company's products are mentioned in the thread.
    Also, questions posted about other items are not answered well. That too is fishy and it constitutes sufficient ground all by itself to make one draw the conclusion that the internet is not always exactly what you might want it to be. Billions of dollars are spent on internet marketing; where does it end up on your computer screen? Welcome to the world of envy management.

Buyer beware, things are not always what they appear to be, you get the picture. A few months before this thread started I saw a thread about someone building a new house and claiming to be buying eight slabs of granite for the kitchen. Since a slab is 40 or 50 square feet, it would have meant the kitchen was a very big room. Even billionaires do not have that size of kitchen.

Hth

• motodetroit
    12 years ago

davidro1, it looks like the photographer used HDR (high dynamic range) processing which combines several shots taken at different tones to allow a greater dynamic range (light/dark) in the photo than a camera normally would allow. That is why the interior is light and bright and you can still see the scene out the window (which would normally be very light and almost white due to the dynamic range limitations of a camera). It also would even out the lighting and explain why there are no specific 'light pools' under the pendants.

It is a common technique used by professionals taking architecture photos. If I was the builder of that home, I would be taking these for promo shots. It certainly does not mean that the house is fake as you have implied (twice). I have a simple background and simple means, but the fantastic kitchens shown on this forum have given me ideas that I hope will make my kitchen special to me. I would hate for people to be intimidated into not wanting to show their kitchens and homes in the best light (pun intended), or answer product questions, since then I would never have the opportunity to learn and incorporate some beauty into my own life.

Fantastic Home.

• ajones.sd
    12 years ago

Ace of Diamonds, absolutely stunning! Truly an exquisite job. We are getting ready for a major home remodel, though on a much smaller scale, and like you, I LOVE scouring GW for inspiration, experience and research. Thus far I have posted infrequently, but felt the need to after davidro1's flat out rude commentary. As Motodetroit already so eloquently put it, I would hate for anyone to feel intimidated into not wanting to comment or share their homes with this (mostly) fabulous forum.

• User
    12 years ago

Photoshop IS a wonderful thing in the hands of a pro, isn't it?

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

The OP clearly states that a professional photographer was hired by the builder to photograph the house for his portfolio. We all answer questions about products/brands and I noticed that the OP only answered and posted detailed answers to specific questions that otherwise would not have been mentioned. WTH?

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

Very pretty. It looks like it will live well, too!
    I, too, live in Texas. I'd love to know where the glass blower is located, because if it's near my part of Texas, my children and I will also take a field trip there!

• cloub
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS HOME!! One room is prettier than the next, and the kitchen is to die for! I'd love to feature your beautiful home on my blog. Please let me know if you would be interested. The link is below. Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Chaos Home