Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilmack

Do I pick a faucet by looks or features?

aprilmack
11 years ago

My counters are being installed Wednesday and I have to get the faucet. Do I pick the faucet that has the features that I want or the one that will look best with my other selections?

I've been looking at the Delta Addison which has all of the features that I want - specifically the touch faucet. The soap dispenser is also very nice looking.

Comments (16)

• aprilmack
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The second faucet is the Delta Leland. I love the look of the faucet but the soap dispenser is butt ugly. This faucet also does not come with the touch feature.

What would you guys do? FYI - The touch faucet has terrible reviews but I'm not sure I'm going to let that sway me? Good purchase or waste of money? There's about $100 difference in the prices.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

I would question, in this order:

1. quality - doesn't matter how pretty it is if the darn thing is going to break or not work properly.

2. looks - because it has to be pretty and blend with the aesthetics of the room

3. price - I'd rather spend more money on something one time, than have to purchase again

I can tell you a friend of mine has the Leland in her kitchen. After about a year, the pull-out part does not fully retract any longer.

• angiebangie
    11 years ago

I would get a delta with the manga-lock feature. The magnet keeps the sprayer where it is supposed to be, and it has a lifetime warranty.

• beeps
    11 years ago

There are Brizo touch faucets also. If you get a non-touch but want hands free there is the TapMaster. Seems like you like the look and function of the touch and the soap dispenser, not sure what the other one has that you like?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brizo Touch Faucets

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

We bought the Leland and like you hated the soap dispenser. Why would they put a squat and straight dispenser with a faucet that is tall and all about curves? Luckily, I went with a small supplier and they literally just took the ugly one out of the combo and put in one that matched much better and still charged me the combo price. I think the one I got was the Gala.

Someone else on Gardenweb also swapped out the included one for the Delta Allora dispenser and it matches perfectly, but I decided it was so tall there was not enough gained over just keeping a soap bottle on top of the sink. I can't remember who it was but if you search for the stainless Leland dispenser kit on amazon, I think they posted a picture with the kit soap and one with the Allora, so you can see how pretty it is.

Keep in mind, if you shop on Amazon the price for just the faucet and then purchasing the soap separately is almost exactly what you pay for the kit.

I was torn between a touch, Moen reflex and the Leland with its magnet. In the end the reviews clearly showed the Leland was going to have the fewest issues.

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

Just realized I should probably mention my Leland won't be installed for several days so I still haven't used it for real yet.

• annettacm
    11 years ago

You can buy a faucet alone and then buy the soap dispenser separately. I sold a faucet not too long ago, and we just looked at all the Delta soap dispenser options and picked out the one she liked. Didn't have to match. Moen only offers one choice of soap dispenser, but it's nice that Delta gives options.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I have the Grohe Ladylux 3 - for both the main sink and the prep sink. I have arthritis and I bought it for ease of use and ease of cleaning. Don't know if that info is of any help in choosing.

• MizLizzie
    11 years ago

I'm having the same internal debate re the touch feature. Seems the technology is just not there yet.

Yes, that is an ugly little nubbin of a dispenser. Like something out of The Jetsons -- modern, but just sooo wrong. And ITA on the mix and match. I did that with my current Moen with good results.

• User
    11 years ago

Features, because if it looks fabulous and doesn't work ... you might as well rent a gigilo

• cindaintx
    11 years ago

I have a delta faucet from the same family but without the touch technology. I have no problem pushing the lever enough to turn the faucet on with my elbow, forearm or wrist, depending on how dirty my hands are. Love, love, love the magna-lock docking of the spray head. Have had so many bad faucets before this one.
    Would never install matching soap dispensers since I haven't found one that wasnt really plastic underneath. Kind of like the trays in you ice-water dispenser in the fridge. Looks great for about 4 years, then the metal paint flakes off the plastic.....

• Renoguy41
    11 years ago

I just bought the Delta Addison Touch 2o
    A couple years ago never would have considered a Delta, bad reviews, bad customer service..
    I wanted to get something depenadable and timeless..
    I love Chicago faucets, for the dependability and functionality, they make the best faucets ever., Hands Down, dollar for dollar they are the best..
    Unfortunately they aren't timeless..Hopefully soon they will come out with a timeless edition, because there is no faucet better made than Chicago..
    Another faucet I gave a serious look at was Grohe, it's a tank, but because I have kids, the fact that the pull out faucet, is not magnetic I can see the spout dangling, and me wanting to kick my kids right through the living room window, is likely to happen..
    So I went with Delta, nay not be as good as Grohe, but I have got it faxed in writing that this paricular shop I bought it from will warranty it, and have it recorded as well.. I don't lose, I hate losing, so I will take this companies word and writing that they have changed, So I saved a couple of hundred dollars over the Grohe, and the magnetic feature will be nice and easy for the kids to handle..If it turns out that Delta is not all it is cracked up to be, I have time to swap out for a Grohe..The reason I didn't choose Grohe, is because if Chicago does come out with a timeless faucet, I would never switch out a Grohe for it, even though I would want to.
    But I would switch a Delta out for a timeless Chicago in a heart beat, but if Chigago never comes out with one, I will be happy, with what I've got..
    Like I said, nobody beats Chigago in quality and dependability and price..
    But just about every manufacturer beats them in style..
    One day though, they will catch up, and I will be there to get one..

• Renoguy41
    11 years ago

I got the soap dispenser included only because the Delta Addison T2o was cheaper as a set than individual.. I have no intention of using it..
    More holes in counter = better chances of leaking through and dripping down into the bottem cabinet. = mold and mildue..

• Renoguy41
    11 years ago

I got the soap dispenser included only because the Delta Addison T2o was cheaper as a set than individual.. I have no intention of using it..
    More holes in counter = better chances of leaking through and dripping down into the bottem cabinet. = mold and mildue..

• annac54
    11 years ago

Definitely features, then looks. We installed our Delta Leland about a year and a half ago, and it's working fine. I specifically wanted a faucet that stayed in whichever mode (stream/spray) you left it in. Many of them reset to stream when you turn them off. I use the spray most of the time, and DH likes the stream. This faucet is easy to turn on with my arm when my hands are messy, so I don't really miss the touch feature.

As for the soap dispenser, we decided against another hole in the countertop. Besides, I like washing dishes in the left side of the sink, and DH insists on using the right, so either side would be awkward for one of us. I use a nice stainless/clear bathroom soap dispenser on the counter. When it gets worn out, I'll just replace it with another. Delta has a few soap dispensers that can be purchased separately from the faucets. Maybe one of them would coordinate with the faucet you decide to buy.

Good luck finding a faucet. I'm sure you'll find the right one.

• Clarion
    11 years ago

Design rule #1: Form Follows Function...