Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iad2rdu

What to do with this space?

IAD2RDU
9 years ago

I am not sure how to post a photo. We are in the middle of a renovation - hardwoods throughout the house, etc. The kitchen layout was wonky. Our sink and dishwasher are part of what we've now created as an "L" island. The sink was at the crux of the L with the DW immediately to the left, making it impossible to open the DW while at the sink. My husband cut out some of the cabinets and moved the dishwasher to the right of the sink for more workable flow. Now we have this opening where the dishwasher was located, on the peninsula. The other side will be seating at the peninsula. What would you do with the space? My husband wants to cut through to the other side to have the HWs continue through this space and create shelving. Another thought was a beverage fridge but it, again, wouldn't be accessible when someone is standing at the sink. We also took out all of the cabinets above the sink/DW to open up the kitchen to the small family room, so not a lot of storage on that side of the kitchen other than a few drawers and whatever will go in that space. Thoughts?? TIA!!

Comments (7)

• IAD2RDU
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the kitchen mess. :)

• HOMESWEETHOME1
    9 years ago

How about putting the garbage/recycling there, and maybe suspending some all-glass upper cabinets or open shelving on the right side to increase storage without completely blocking visual access to the family room?

• function_first
    9 years ago

That's definitely a huge improvement over the previous DW location. As I prefer to walk as little as possible to put clean dishes away, I would probably put shelves in the open space for my most frequently used and best looking dishes-- so probably a stack of dinner plates, tureens, maybe a couple platters. Hopefully your drawers there will be able to store the rest of the frequently used dishes. If I had beautiful stacks of mixing bowls, I'd put those there, too (I don't, but maybe you do). What I would not do is put any type of door on the space, or you will have the same problem you had before with the person at the sink needing to dance around the doors.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Cut through to the other side and install a beverage fridge on the other side. If there is room on the kitchen side, install an inset paper towel holder or a towel bar slightly recessed.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I'm with kris_ma....do shelves. Having open shelving with mixing bowls, pitchers, other dishes would provide visual interest and make putting things away really convenient. Plus, it's probably the most economical thing to do. There are lots of things you could do but I would probably not do them because of budget constraints. Some times it's best not to throw good money at something that's wonky unless you are going to do a total rehaul.

• bpath
    9 years ago

While first house is right, I think it'll be a dust-and-crumb-and-splash magnet on that side. If you do open shelves, use them for,things you use every day that will get washed frequently, and that will leave the shelf clear for wiping every night while the dishes are in the DW. Or keep baskets of lunchbox needs there, very handy.

• IAD2RDU
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the responses!! The idea of shelves with baskets was our primary thought, with beverage refrigerator as a second idea. I like the idea of the beverage refrigerator (we currently have a nice one in the garage that would fit) opening to the other side of the peninsula, being out of the way of the person at the sink, however, wouldn't it be wonky being hidden behind bar stools? I like having a paper towel dispenser or towel open to the sink side of the island. I am still kind of partial to the basket and shelving idea, especially given that we have a boatload of food storage for lunch boxes, etc that I could just throw in baskets and be done with it. I think problem is solved...and at a reasonable price!! THANK YOU!!