Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallycat

Would like your opinions on my floor plan...but

wallycat
15 years ago

I am clueless how to get it here. I've searched all the photobucket threads, but am still challenged.

DH is using 3D Home architect. It has a funny extension on it so I saved a copy in word (rich text) ...but photobucket won't recognize .RTF

I don't blame anyone not wanting to help...it's difficult to do this over computer...

I'll wait and see if help arrives.

I'm debating about fridge placement, prep sink (if it is in budget) and general "OK" for those more experienced.

Comments (20)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Do you by any chance have Windows Vista? If so, you can use the 'snipping tool' to save an image as a .jpg, which photobucket would accept.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Try hitting prt scrn when you have the design up, then just pasting it into paint. Then crop the extraneous parts off and save. Then upload that new file (should be a bmp or other pic type file) to photobucket. That's how I posted my first pic just yesterday. HTH.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I don't know if 3D Home Architect has any similarities with the program I use. I can tell you what I do is this: In the file drop-down box there is EXPORT. It saves a picture file of whatever is on the screen. The choice that works on Photobucket is .jpg extension. Save the image and upload it to Photobucket. Follow the instructions in the 'how to' thread to post it on this site. HTH

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

OK, here is my first attempt....
    I don't know how well this will show up or what else I need to do....here goes.
    THANK YOU!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So here is what I"m thinking...and anyone (should be everyone) with more experience than me...PLEASE chime in. You will NOT hurt my feelings. DH drew this up on 3D architect and we are open for suggestions.

Initially, I had wanted a see through fireplace where the fridge is sitting now. This seems too much to configure.
    Against the one wall (where the door to the backyard exists) is the current sink location. I'd LOVE for that to be stainless with integrated sink. If the "L" is possible, I'd have that in stainless, turning the corner and have my Monogram Range-top (36") set in...and either finish that counter bank with stainless or if too costly, have a end-grain butcher block section. Towards the end of that bank of counter is the wall oven (I'm planning the GE 30" that will house 2 ovens in 1 slot). Possibly a microwave over that, but not necessary. There's a small arch/doorway into the living room...
    then the wall where DH has (in this plan) set the fridge. We are debating if the fridge should go near the ovens.
    I am wringing my hands about a prep sink. I'd love one but I don't know if it is in the budget. If it is, should it go on the island (which will be wood with waterlox finish) or a small counter/sink next to the fridge (if the fridge stays against that wall).
    I'm driving myself nuts with this...
    and the pantry will have 9" shelves...or is 12" better?? or??
    THANK YOU again.
    I'm just so pleased I managed to get this as a link.
    LOVE YOU GUYS!!! XX000

• Buehl
    15 years ago

OK...do you have a digital camera? If so...

1. Print out the picture as big as you can

2. Using the digital camera, take a picture of it.

3. Download the picture from the camera to your computer

4. Using something like MS Picture Manager, crop the extraneous stuff (like margins)

5. Resize it to around 500x500

6. Save it.

7. Upload it to PhotoBucket

++++++++++++++++++++++

Another option, if you have MS PowerPoint (and if you don't have a digital camera)

1. Bring up the document in MS Word.

2. Switch to "Normal" view. If you still see the picture, stay in this view. If you don't see it, switch to "Print Layout view

• To switch views, on the menu bar: View --> Normal or Print Layout or other
    1. Set the zoom big enough to fill the page in full screen mode.
    • To change zoom, on the menu bar: View --> Zoom

• To switch to full screen mode: View --> Full Screen (a button will be shown to click to get out of full screen. It shows up in the lower right corner for me)

1. Take a screen shot

2. Paste it into MS PowerPoint

3. Crop the extra stuff

4. Expand it to fill the entire page

5. Save it as a JPG file

• File --> Save As -->

• Save As Type (box) --> JPEG File Interchange Format (*.jpg)

1. Continue at Step 4 above

I gave you two ways, the second is more complicated, but either way will work.

HTH!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I would swap the sink and dw...Keep dw near dish storage and dish storage near table. Also, in its current position, the open dishwasher would keep you from accessing the cabinets in that corner or using the counter there.

Are the windows set in stone? If not, I'd consider putting the fridge with the oven on the stove wall, and putting pantry space where you have the fridge, especially if you won't have a prep sink. Or put nothing where the fridge is and run the island the other way. I often wish my island had been situated so that it's long side was parallel with the stove wall instead of the sink wall, for a better work aisle and more protection around the stove.

If you put in a prep sink, I'd put it on the corner of the island (closest to the wall oven) so that it's accessible from 2 sides of the island. That's the way we situated ours and I love it.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Right now, your island is a "barrier island". It blocks access to the refrigerator and sink. You have to walk around the island to get from one to the other...OK if you do it only occasionally, but a real nuisance if you have to do it several times while preparing a meal!

I agree on the DW, move it to the other side of the sink.

As RHome said, I'd move the refrigerator to the cooktop wall and rotate the island 90o. I'd also make it as long as you could b/c if you move the refrigerator to the cooktop wall you'll lose at least 36" of work/prep space on that wall and a bigger island will more than make up for that. I'd also put a prep sink in on the far end from the sink (refrigerator/ovens end).

If you're getting double ovens, I would not put the MW above them...I think the MW will be too high. Instead, consider putting the MW undercounter in the island or getting a MW Drawer. I'd put it in the island across from the refrigerator.

HTH!

[Oh, and sorry about the late post w/directions...I started to answer when no one else had...then got distracted by my DH with a hurricane update (he works for NOAA & we were checking simulations for Galveston & TX coast...very bad!)...I should have checked b/f I went ahead and submitted!]

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Maybe this will help

I know I get confused having to flip back and forth- like to have it right in front of me.

So here is what I"m thinking...and anyone (should be everyone) with more experience than me...PLEASE chime in. You will NOT hurt my feelings. DH drew this up on 3D architect and we are open for suggestions.

Initially, I had wanted a see through fireplace where the fridge is sitting now. This seems too much to configure.
    Against the one wall (where the door to the backyard exists) is the current sink location. I'd LOVE for that to be stainless with integrated sink. If the "L" is possible, I'd have that in stainless, turning the corner and have my Monogram Range-top (36") set in...and either finish that counter bank with stainless or if too costly, have a end-grain butcher block section. Towards the end of that bank of counter is the wall oven (I'm planning the GE 30" that will house 2 ovens in 1 slot). Possibly a microwave over that, but not necessary. There's a small arch/doorway into the living room...
    then the wall where DH has (in this plan) set the fridge. We are debating if the fridge should go near the ovens.
    I am wringing my hands about a prep sink. I'd love one but I don't know if it is in the budget. If it is, should it go on the island (which will be wood with waterlox finish) or a small counter/sink next to the fridge (if the fridge stays against that wall).
    I'm driving myself nuts with this...
    and the pantry will have 9" shelves...or is 12" better?? or??
    THANK YOU again.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Holy cow! That pantry is ginormous! I like 9" shelves because nothing gets lost behind other things, but in a pantry that size I think things won't be crammed in tight like mine. Still you could have one wall of 9" for cans and the other two sides deeper for appliances or bulk storage.

I agree with rhome on moving the frig and running the island the other way. With the current configuration the island seems a bit like a barrier island. I imagine making a salad would involve multiple trips around the island to wash veggies, etc.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

You have such a nice, big pantry, I wouldn't go with something as shallow as 9" shelves, at least not all the way around. OK for small cans, but not much else? My pantry has 16" shelves in the back and 12" on the right side. My SIL keeps cookbooks in shelves in her pantry of this size, and it's great...But some of my cookbooks would hang over a 9" shelf.

You might want to leave some empty wall space for hanging a broom, leaning a step stool, etc. If I had a pantry of that wonderful size, I'd run 16" shelves all the way back on one side and 12" shelves all the way back on the other, and save the back wall for broom, etc....Or if that's too far back, I'd make an alcove for the broom, etc. on the right as you go in, then start the shelves about 2 ft back. I'd still run them straight to the back wall, since corners are a pain. Then you could keep a grease board or something on the back wall for a shopping list or something. Just ideas....

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First, THANK YOU so much...truly, I am touched that you guys took the time to help me post and then helped it get posted onto the forum. THANK YOU.
    And thank you for your suggestions.
    Dh's initial lay-out had the island the other way (your suggestions), but he has been struggling with the fridge concept. Your suggestions make great sense. I was a bit neurotic about giving up counter space, but as you point out, I would have room to make the island a hair longer and that would include storage underneath.

The DW move is an excellent point...about other cabinets getting in the way and being closer to table....though I hadn't even thought about where I would put away the stuff :-/ .

If we move the fridge, what would you guys think about having a small "wet bar" counter/prep sink there, instead of on the island. Cost wise, it probably wouldn't make a huge difference, so if I get one, I need to decide where and if I don't, it's a moot point.

I may keep my brooms/mop just outside the garage or in a small area in the front hall closet (as it is equally back/front closet).

THANK YOU again so very much!!!

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What about if I wanted to keep some length to the "range" counter by moving the wall oven under the cooktop or under the island??? The wall oven is 30" (same size as a single oven, but the new GE will hold 2 ovens in that space---for design purposes, it eats up 30" oven space). Microwave can go in the pantry.
    DH seems to think for reaching, wall oven is better than having it under something but I am flexible if it gives me other options.

Thank you again so much for sharing your skill and talents!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I use our microwave for thawing, cooking veggies, etc., so can't imagine it so far away in the pantry.

Do you mean a second sink where the fridge is shown now? Or on the outside wall when it's moved over there? Can't say I like either option. You'd lose too much counter by the stove, and it's not in a strategic spot where the fridge is now. You want it in the area between the fridge and stove...The other advantage you have, like me, is that that vicinity is close to the ovens and where people might do baking projects on the island...For a convenient addition of water for a recipe, tossing messy tools, and washing doughy or sticky hands.

I like my wall oven up above counter height. I like checking on things by being able to see in from across the room, as well as getting things in and out, basting, etc. without stooping so low.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I wanted to chime in about your pantry as it is similar in size to mine. Mine is 92" long by 58" wide. I love it so much!

I put 12" deep cabinets on the left and right for the first 4'. With the extra width you have over mine you could easily have 12" on each side, as mine is just fine. Not hugely generous walking space, but enough.

Then along the back wall I have a full depth set of lower cabinets and a counterop with upper cabinets. i LOVE having the counter as a landing zone for my groceries when they come in the back door. it is also a great place to stash appliances you don't use much or don't really need to see (ie, the crockpot).

In the lower bank of cabinets along that back wall I also have an extra trash compactor where I store my recyclables which keeps them from taking over the house until trash day.

Good luck! Anita

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, thank you!
    OK, if DH wants the MW over the oven, I'll cave in :-)
    The cabinet/counter idea for the pantry is great! I don't know how much $$ DH wants to add to the inside of it, but this is a good point for setting groceries and sorting. Now I wonder if drawers in there would be good or not.

I'm feeling much better about the design plan. Oh, and I neglected to mention that no, the windows are not carved in stone. The view is (if there will be any) from the second floor.
    I admit I am relieved that no one screamed that this was a horrible plan overall :-))
    THANKS!

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I swear this will be my last question....
    What if I wanted more counter by the range top...do you think a wall oven under the range-top would be smart? or maybe on one end of the island?
    I sure wish I had your "visual" skills!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

An oven won't fit under a rangetop...They are too deep themselves. Did you mean a cooktop?

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Just a couple of ideas. Are those wall ovens in the corner? Could you live with a bigger stove with two oven underneith it to compensate for losing those and putting the fridge there? That would allow for you to have your see through fireplace.

I also would turn the island the other way. To gain more counter space, you could make the island a D shape and lose the table and chairs.

For something completely different, you could lose the island all together and have sort of an L shape counter coming off where your sink is, at an angle. That would give you all sorts of counter space and a space for chairs, etc., just like the D shaped island. You would lose the dining table and chairs but it would be unexpected and could be beautiful. There was another poster on here with an L shaped counter going out at an angle and it was gorgeous. Just some thoughts, but your kitchen you have there is lovely.

• wallycat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, thank you.
    I've rethought a few things and will have DH work up the new plans and repost them on another thread (incase anyone is interested).
    If I keep the island as it currently sits, I can have a nice long, maybe 18" deep, counter where the fridge currently sits. I plan to move the Fridge to the area you all suggested which means the island will be less of the "barrier island" you pointed out. I plan to get the GE single oven (but 2 ovens--I posted a link somewhere) and will put them under the counter----I will swap the sink and the range. I think having the sink closer to the fridge makes more sense. The oven(s) will then go to the left of the range (not directly under it so it is not hot if I am cooking and baking).
    I am starting to lean towards all wood counters because I just think they are so gorgeous. I"m still not sure about cabinet color (cherry or buttercream) which means the wood counters are TBD (cherry, maple or Wenge).
    I adore stainless but we may have to build long distance and I just worry that the added expense and interface with getting it done may be problematic. It may not be, but I'm a worrier.

If I keep the current table/island, I think the "T" will be a nice juxtaposition versus the parallel, but maybe not.

I guess when I post the updated info, I look forward to more input.
    I guess my last thought was if I get the long bank of counter against the wall where the fridge is in the posted design, should I keep with wood or add a "pop" counter like Marble or solid surface or something.....or stick with all wood? I'm still not sure we will get a prep sink. I'd thought this could be a "wet bar" type area, but maybe leaving a prep sink on the island (if we get the prep sink) would still be a better option.
    Thanks to those of you who have read, suggested and shared your ideas thus far!!!