Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dp1404

To finish floors before cabinet installation or after

dp1404
11 years ago

Currently the new hardwood floors are in but are not sanded and unfinished.

We currently have most everything done waiting for cabinets to arrive which is about three weeks away.

The question is, should we finish the floors prior to having the cabinets installed (since we have time) and covering with protective paper

or

is it better to have them finished after cabinets installed.

I am leaning towards having them done before as then we could move right along after the cabinets are installed and not have to deal with trying make time for the floor guys and all the associated dust.

I do trust the cabinet guys will take care during install

What would you do

Comments (12)

• doc8404
    11 years ago

I had my hardwood floor completely finished before the cabs went in.

There was no damage from the cab installers or electricians - the kids, however, are a different story. :)

Doc

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Even though our contractor used a cardboard type covering on our hardwood floors, he still insisted that the floors be the last thing done in our kitchen remodel.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

My GC said it was standard to do the floors before the cabinets. We had three finish coats on the floors and the first two were done prior to cabinet installation. Once the kitchen was finished, they came in and did the final finish coat.

• sas95
    11 years ago

Same here. Floors were done first, with the final coat after the kitchen was finished.

• MeMcG
    11 years ago

Our GC put the base cabinets in, then tiled, including where the frig, range, and dw will go.

• felixnot
    11 years ago

Finish the floor and cover, then install the cabinets, especially for wood floors. The wood floors need to be sanded between the finish coats which means you would have to wrap the cabinets to keep the sanding dust off

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Floors were finished after cabinets were in for us - but we were refinishing our floor and not replacing - not sure if that makes a difference.

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

Ours was done like poohpups - sanded, 2 coats, then 3rd coat is after cabs are installed. He had asked us to "disappear" for a night or 2 while the final coat dried. guess we'll be going thru that process again due to repairs to water damage :(

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Ours were also like Pooh's. Install, sanded, stained, and two top coats. Then cabs went in the kitchen and DR. (We installed new unfinished wood floors in entry, FR, LR, DR, mudroom, and kitchen as part of a whole house reno.) Very last item before we moved in was the last top coat.

I did cover the floors with Ram board (like thin cardboard on a roll, but water resistant) after the two top coats. The inspector, carpenters installing a house full of trim and doors, electrician, cab maker, wood floor company, painting company doing trim and doors,and plumber were all impressed with the board. All those guys and tools tromping in and out over months did zero damage to the floors.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The wood floors need to be sanded between the finish coats which means you would have to wrap the cabinets to keep the sanding dust off"

Screening between coats of finish produces far less debris than actual sanding.

• dp1404
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks for the different perspectives.

I've decided to have them finished prior to cabinet install and protect them. I am familiar with the RAM board, it is a great product and I have some so that is what I will use.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH