Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tea4all

Lower counter baking center in corner

tea4all
11 years ago

Who has it and do you like it? I have just spent hours hunting for the GW kitchen that showed a counter that dropped lower in the corner. It may be the only way I can have a lower baking/mixing area in my kitchen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

There are a lot of height-challenged folks on GW.I am not one of them so I didn't want a lower counter.
    I am sure others will chime in!

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a2gemini. It's so frustrating because when I saw the picture in a thread about 3 weeks ago, I didn't even think of saving it. Hope they do chime in.

• catlover5
    11 years ago

I know someone who has this in her island and she loves it. She is petite and loves to bake.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks catlover5. I've often wished for a shorter counter when I'm using my KA or when kneading dough. Mom used to put the bowl in a kitchen chair to knead but that is too short for me.

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but this link Houzz might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: lowered counters on Houzz

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Erm, have you tried wearing a really comfy pair of heeled boots to see if you like the lower counters? I'm only 5'7" and I think regular counters are a good height, and when I'm wearing heels in the kitchen (like right after I get home) everything seems too low to me. Granted, I'm usually wearing 2.5" or 3" heels (because it's easier to buy more heels than hem my pants, not because I secretly wish to be 5'10"). So maybe a counter only 2" lower would be better.

In any case, a pair of comfy heeled boots would let you try before you buy :)

• dejongdreamhouse
    11 years ago

I have one. Here's a picture of it in use. I'm 5'4" and my son is almost 4 and about 42" tall.

I love that I can post directly from my computer, but can we only do one at a time? I'll look for another shot in comparison to the regular counter.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks cluelessincolorado. I went through 46 pages of the link and saw some beautiful kitchens. So far there are not any baking centers in a corner with both sides of the corner having the lower counter. I'll keep looking because there are some good ideas there.

• dejongdreamhouse
    11 years ago

Here's a different view of our baking center. You get get a full tour of the kitchen in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with lowered baking center

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks EngineerChic. I had not even thought to try that but I'll get out the heels and see how it goes. I'm 5' 4" (and 1/2" if I stretch).

ICFgreen I do so like your kitchen! It is a lot larger and more open than mine. (sigh) Your little boy is sure a sweetie! (I'm partial to little boys--raised two wonderful sons.) Thanks for the pictures and the link (I bookmarked it for continued reference). Would you mind telling me the height of your baking counter? I'm just about the same height as you. OT--do you still love your cork floors? No one I know has them but what I've read about cork sounds good.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I am vertically challenged and decided to make an entire side of the galley just 33.5 inches tall. I mocked it up for multiple scenarios with books and this was the best height for me to be able to look into pots, roll dough etc.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lalitha for the measurement. I'll try that mock up tip. I appreciate your answer.