Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet color scheme help, red, black, maybe cherry

Posted by caseyrose (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 16:30

I am in the early stages of kitchen planning, trying to coordinate colors and would love your thoughts!

Background: large u-shape kitchen with island in contemporary cedar house in the woods in an area with a lot of old dairy farms and barns. Looking for a clean rustic country look, and love the idea of barn red on some or all of the cabinets.

Backsplash: The one thing I have are beautiful decorative tiles in greens, browns and whites with cabins, canoes, trees, etc. in relief. They will be designed into a backsplash with a coordinating plain tile.

Cabinets: Glass door uppers, mostly drawers lower. Also a pantry.

Surfaces: I want to use soapstone on counters or island or both. If I do two surfaces the other will probably be calacatta gold marble or something else light.

I see the island base as red beadboard. The top could be soapstone or marble.

I am playing around with combinations of red, black, natural cherry for the cabinets and pantry. cherry lower/red upper or black lower/red upper or red lower/black upper or all cherry with red island and pantry.

Would love to hear any ideas you may have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet color scheme help, red, black, maybe cherry

You have too many materials, colors and textures as described. You need to focus in and have a limited and harmonious palette.

For example, we live in a reproduction house of an early 1700s colonial house. Our kitchen cabinets are cherry, our tops are black flamed granite, our beadboard and trim are a deep barn red that's very close in hue and value to the cherry cabinets, with random with pine floors finished in a distressed grey-brown.

Find the few materials and colors that are harmonious and work within them. Less is more! Good luck!

o
RE: Cabinet color scheme help, red, black, maybe cherry

virgilcarter, That sounds lovely. I was concerned that if I did all or mostly cherry with soapstone counters it might be too dark, but it sounds like you are happy with the cherry cabinets and black counters. I am leaning toward cherry cabinets with the pantry and island base in barn red beadboard. I would do all surfaces soapstone if it didn't make the kitchen seem too dark.

I am interested in your floors and would love to see a picture of them (and of your kitchen). I love random width and painted floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here