Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

how to clean wood cabinets....?

vieja_gw
9 years ago

My mother's wood/varnished kitchen cabinets are in need of cleaning. What product would you recommend that is safe to clean the cabinets that won't take off the varnish/stain? I assume the film on the wood has greasy fingerprints with it so something must be able to cut through that but not remove any of the finish. I got something once at the State Fair years ago... Luster Products that was a 2 or 3 step process & the demo they gave as I remember did a good job. Not sure what the product looked like , etc. Any other good ideas for safely cleaning varnished wood cabinets?
Appreciate any ideas... thanks!

Comments (19)

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

I always used Scott's Liquid Gold on my wood cabinets in the house I built in the 70's. They looked wonderful and were in excellent condition when I moved out of that house.

Teresa

• tina kauh
    9 years ago

I've used bona. it's made for wood floors but works well on cabs too.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Murphy's Oil Soap has always worked well for me. I've also used something called cabinet cream but I can't remember who makes it....

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I always used Murphy's Oil Soap on my natural cherry cabinets. Worked well.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I used something called Cabinet Magic on my stained cherry cabinets. Worked well.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Hands down, Thomasville Kitchen Cabinet Cream. I learned about it on GW years ago when it was called Parker & Bailey, and I had to order it online. Now, I get it at HD. It cleans and shines my solid cherry cabinets without a greasy residue or attracting dirt.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Has anyone ever used the Luster orange products? Seems it is not sold in stores & I can't seem to get any info. sent to me when I call them. It has been around a long time & I have heard good things about the products but most was gotten at the State Fair demos of the product!
    deeinohio: and the Thomasville product can be bought in Home Depot (HD)? That would be easier for me to get than ordering another product!
    The cabinets are nothing special but I want to keep the wood clean & the finish good as long as possible.
    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have used the Luster products (which I also got at the state fair) and I love them. First you apply the cleaner and then you polish with the wax. I used it recently on my cabinets. It has a great orange smell.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jerzeegirl: where were you able to buy the Luster products (other than at the Fair)? Cold you buy them locally or just on-line? Does the cleaner really remove a lot of the grime built-up... & then you wipe it all off & use the polish?

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Vieja. Apparently you can buy it on Amazon. Here is the link. Go to the bottom of the page and you will see all three products that come in the set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lustre

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My cabinetmaker specifically told me not to use orange products on the cabinets because it can dissolve the finish over time. I don't have a factory conversion varnish finish though, so it may be okay for your cabs.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

These sound like some great product suggestions. Not to hijack vieja's thread, but what about painted cabinets? Would your recommendations change?

I am getting a dark shady spot on the upper left corner of my wooden dishwasher panel. The paint is ivory, and you can just see a darkening of the paint where we have been lifting it shut, perhaps from oil on our fingertips. My housekeeper pointed it out -- she's very finicky -- and reminded me that "cabinets have handles for a reason!" LOL. Lesson learned. But now I'm seeing that spot . . . And nothing seems to be lifting it out.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Oil soaps and orange products and magic erasers are some of the worst things possible to use on wood finishes. It will destroy them over time.

All any cabinets should need is dusting. If you spill, then a damp soft cloth with a bit of Dawn and water. Then rinse and dry. That's it. If you get a greasy coating on the cabinets, that means your vent hood isn't doing it's job.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

lwo, Why do you say that orange products and oil soap are not good on wood? What is the science behind that assertion?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I believe it's because the oil coating makes it impossible to refinish. I have Swedish finish on my hardwood floors, which is a conversion varnish, and you cannot refinish them if you use Murphy's Oil Soap. I wondered about that recommendation here as cabinets from a cabinet company do have a conversion varnish.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Constant contact with oil residues can break down even a conversion varnish finish over time. That's why oil soaps and orange products are contraindicated. The refinishing bit is true too. Even painting over wood that's been treated with those substances can be iffy without a shellac first layer.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Check your cabinetmaker's recommendations for cleaning your cabinets - especially if they're still under warranty.

From the MasterBrand Cabinets site (Omega, for example), they also recommend dusting, a damp cloth, or mild hand dishwashing soap.

Here is a link that might be useful: MasterBrands - Cabinet Care & Cleaning

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Constant contact with oil residues can break down even a conversion varnish finish over time.

I have tried researching this and have found nothing that proves that this is the case.

I did find a number of furniture cleaners, though, that are made from citrus oils and they all indicate that it's good for wood.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living