Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soapstone Problems

Posted by BillMar (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 16:23

Our Soapstone countertops were installed less than a year ago. When installed the counters looked like granite � highly polished, which was not what we had been expecting but though we could live with. Now less than one year later, the gloss finish appears to have worn off, we are getting serious stains / water marks. I have tried both wax and oil but these wear off quickly and do not remove the water marks / stains. Based on what I have read, I suspect the fabricator improperly finished the soapstone and it needs to be re-honed. Greatly appreciate any thoughts / suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soapstone Problems

Yes, it needs to be re-honed with a lower grit. Polished soapstone is nothing but trouble.

o
RE: Soapstone Problems

I agree with LWO. I have soapstone in my bathroom that I installed and the grit is around 80 if I remember correctly, it might be 120. I love the rough texture. The ss in my kitchen I did several years ago and it is higher polished, maybe in the 200's. It looks ok, but I am about ready to get the sand paper out. But I'm not recommending you to do this. I feel very confident because I did all the work of final edge finishing, gluing pieces together, and knocking down too highly polished stone that I bought on line from Dorado soapstone. Very happy with ss but I like it more rustic, kind of like a 120 grit sand paper sheet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here