Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thicken island's overhang edge?

Posted by jrkohn (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 16:17

Hi All,
We are building a new house, and the kitchen granite and island quartzite were just installed. Everything looks great except for the L-shaped overhang around the island where we will put little stools for seating. Because it is a 2-cm slab, and we chose a demi bullnose edge, it looks really thin. I am kind of ok with it but my husband HATES it! He says it looks like he'll snap it off if he leans on it. (He also thinks he's Superman...but I digress!) We thought it would be easy enough for the granite guys to glue on an edge to turn it into a full bullnose edge, but they are telling us that if they come in and try to push the grinder up to grind the underside, it will create a wavy surface and won't make a good edge. Their idea is to add a wood piece to make the edge look thick...? I don't really know what they mean by this and can't visualize it. I've looked for pictures online, but can't find anything. Does anyone have thoughts? Opinions? Clarification? I'm stuck!
Thanks,
Joelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thicken island's overhang edge?

Here are a few helpful links below:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Remodel-a-kitchen-on-the-cheap/step14/Trimming-the-counter/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/granite-tile-countertop-1012351/
(look at the 10th post down, it is by boyoflondon)

The technique above may work depending upon your kitchen style however it would not be my first choice. I have seen additional granite edge details added to granite countertops after the fact where the new edge was stepped back from the previous edge. However I would not have a fabricator do this if they were not confident in their ability to get a clean install. Best of luck and I hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here