Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akpincapee

Kitchen Reno done! Before and after

akpincapee
9 years ago

We just finished redoing our kitchen, in a 1940s Colonial on the coast of Maine. We wanted clean lines and a transitional style that mixed contemporary with the more traditional character of the house. We worked with Kitchen Cove Cabinetry in Portland and had a fantastic experience. First, the before. The bar/peninsula shown separated the small kitchen from a formal dining room (where the pictures is taken) that we hardly used. We wanted the kitchen to fill the whole space and include a sitting and eating area.

Comments (48)

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is after the demo - a nice big space combining two rooms, and the doorways (not shown) to the rest of the house widened for more light.

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pics!

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a few more

• zargunn
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! How big is your island? Thx in advance.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

Wow, I love your kitchen. I wanted to do a similar cabinet color but chickened out and went with white. The color is so homey and inviting.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I do love a green kitchen.

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! The island is about 90" by 32" :)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Nice!

• Lisa
    9 years ago

WOW! What a transformation! I can not believe that is the same space. Great idea opening that up. I'm sure you're thrilled! I have to say that when I first looked at your "before" picture, I thought "what a nice kitchen". But the "after" is just amazing!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I love that green color. It is exactly the color I'd like to do our island. I wonder what manufactured paint color would be similar? Is there blue in the green or is it more of a gray sage green?
    The layout looks fantastic! I really liked your before picture, but this new kitchen is fabulous.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Nice! Like the cabinets and the open shelves.

• amck2
    9 years ago

You succeeded in your goal of combining a touch of contemporary with transitional that looks just right in a Maine New Englander. You get extra points from me for going with color on your cabs. I almost always love that look but, like others, don't have the nerve. In my defense, my kitchen isn't as spacious as yours. With all that new room & the large expanse of white stone that green looks perfect!

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the green cabinets and the gorgeous wood floors. I also like the "pup nook" under the island, though I'm not sure if that was its intended purpose. :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love the combination of the green cabinetry & the crisp white counters. I really like the open shelves & your new wood floor is beautiful. It must be wonderful to have all that new space. The shade of green is perfect!

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

So so so pretty!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your beautiful space!

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

That is a gorgeous kitchen! Love, love, love it!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

It's so pretty & soothing! A great transformation. Enjoy & Congratulations.

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone so much! Wow! The green cabinets turned out great and yes, they are more of a grey sage shade without much blue. We love the combination with the wood touches. If you like this color I'd recommend C2 paint in New Leaf, pictured here:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/maple-and-gray-handmade-kitchens-traditional-kitchen-berkshire-phvw-vp~1685642-and-Gray-Handmade-Kitchens-traditional-kitchen-other-metro

We thought alot about making the island a different color, and/or doing a butcher block counter just on the island - but in the hand happy we decided to stick with consistency throughout because I love the look the the wide white counter space. It helps "warm" it up though to have the wood touches throughout, and I'd like to do a cherry valance on top of the window to hang blinds from just to continue that pattern.

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and BakerJen, too funny, I hadn't even noticed that the dog was in the photo! She loves sleeping there now :)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

Love it. I'm another green kitchen owner. Three years later and I love it just as much as when it was first installed.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! It's beautiful and so spacious now, I love it. You did a great job.

I think we have the same Baker dining table showing in your first picture, at least it looks like it. It was our 10th anniversary present to ourselves. I hope you found a place for it : ))

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

I thought your before picture WAS the reveal!!! :). Beautiful kitchen. What a great way to double your space!!!!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the green shade of the cabs. What are you planning for the non working end of the kitchen? Is there room for a seating area? The whole space looks so inviting.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gr8 day, yes! We have the mirror image open space on the other side of the house as a living room (its a symmetrical center-hall colonial) so it was easy to move the dining room table to one end of that room as an eating area. We are mostly eating around the island when its just us, but the dining table is great for when we have people over or want to be a little more formal (without having to look at the kitchen cleanup!)

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/40p0rtev0nqip29/AADHSoKUcfyvhuaZFbvIXTDOa?dl=0

PS here is a link to more photos including the demo, etc. Thanks!

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also missymoo yes - we're now taking a breath to save $$ to furnish the opposite end (where the dining table used to be) for a small seating area, probably a loveseat and chair and small narrow cocktail table. We want to be in the kitchen all the time now so might as well have a place to sit! If anyone has done this and has good small-space kitchen furnishing ideas (or places to shop - we are at loss) that would be great.

• flyingkite
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, congratulations! A lot of room and very spacious.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - great transformation!!
    I love your island and love the colors you chose!
    Now for KAW pictures in that awesome kitchen!!
    Congratulations!!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Whew! So glad the dining table is saved, lol. Enjoy your new kitchen, I know what you mean, as much as I love the table and it has all sorts of sentimental value, it's not used a bunch. Everyone is in the kitchen, but that's ok.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen. It is so gorgeous. You guys did a tremendous job.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

The color and tone of the wood floor & the green cabinets with the white counters ... just gorgeous. It looks like you picked a perfect wall color too, because I didn't even notice it.

The note is wonderful. I remember all those things from 1983 too! Where did you find it?

Congratulations on your beautiful green kitchen!

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't that note a riot? We tracked down the previous owners (Scot's parents) and sent it to them. It was in the wall, contractor found on Day 1!

• lam702
    9 years ago

When I looked at the first photo, I thought it was the "after" Amazing how nice some "befores" are. But your "after is lovely too!

• NewNewz
    9 years ago

This is stunning - the kind of kitchen I would dearly love to have myself (maybe not complete myself - it looks like so much hard work so kudos!)

The island completes it perfectly.

There's an ultra-luxe island that's also an aquarium - I was in love with it but I think I actually now prefer your simply beautiful design instead (plus it's more my budget!)

Here is a link that might be useful: ultra-luxe island

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As you can all see, the stools (counter height) are much too high for the island. We'd love to get something in cherry, very comfortable with back support. If anyone has favorites or recs of places to look that would be great! Thanks all! Wish I had found this place when we were designing....now to check out the bathroom forums :)

• taggie
    9 years ago

Oh wow, what a gorgeous kitchen and amazing transformation!! The perfect layout for a great working kitchen and in such an elegant form. Congratulations!

• phaedrus29
    9 years ago

Very nice. We just saw the Viatera Snow Storm at HD and are considering that for our bathroom vanities. Any thoughts on the counters now that you have had them for a little while? Do you like the material and the look? Any issues? Do you have a closer photo showing the counter top material?

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

I really love how your kitchen turned out!! I love the green cabinets and the space looks very practical too! Congratulations on your new kitchen!! :-) We will be using Emtek hardware in our kitchen too, a different style than yours but same color- I really like the way they look in your kitchen!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Very beautiful. Great space plan and definitely NOT cookie cutter. Classic.

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phaedrus29 - we are thrilled with Snow Storm. We found the counters to be the hardest choice, since we knew we wanted green shaker cabinets. We wanted something that wasn't too stark white, not too yellow, and didn't have veining like "fake marble" but some kind of texture to it. Snow Storm is PERFECT. It wears beautifully and cleans easily, and the very subtle tonal circle pattern is really nice. It is a very neutral white - neither grey nor yellow, but a little bit warm. It is perhaps the thing we are most happy with which is great since it was such a hard find! I can send you some more photos if you like, do you have an email?

• akpincapee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • phaedrus29
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any closer up pics of the counters showing the texture? Is there a way to send messages on here, as I'd rather not post my email?

• cubby325
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love the green cabinets as well, but I wouldn't have the courage to do it. If you're young and planning on staying forever, it doesn't matter - you can have what you want. Fantastic job!

• gr8daygw
    7 years ago

Oh! I just saw the professional photos on Houzz that your designer took. (In the posted link above). I'm only a year and a half behind.. So nice! Love how you can really see the true color and how beautifully it all turned out..really like your dog too.♡

7 years ago

I'm glad this thread popped up again, as I missed your beautiful kitchen on its first go round. There's so much to love!