Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolml_gw

manufactured wood veneer for cabinets

carolml
11 years ago

Our kitchen will have wood veneer slab front cabinets with a combination of rift cut oak and teak. My cabinet maker and I have been discussing the merits of using man made wood veneer rather than real wood veneer. The man made product he recommends is real wood from sustainable sources dyed and manufactured to look just like the real wood of the same species. The products are sourced from reputable companies from North America or Italy (depending on which one he chooses) not from China. They are very good looking and consistent throughout and, are from renewable forests. The real teak and oak are harder to source to find both the veneer sheets and the veneered plywood that match. Depending on where the product comes from, it can look quite different. And with the teak, there is the problem of cutting down the rain forest. So, while my heart tells me that real teak and real oak is nicer, my brain tells me that I should choose the sustainable, consistently good looking manufactured wood. Has anyone used this product or have any insight on this dilemma? I'd appreciate any comments.

Comments (2)