Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radioactivedesign

Pull-out hood w/ 1500CFM External Blower?

happyanca
12 years ago

Hi guys. I would like to use a pull-out hood because this would allow me to have a nice, flat row of uppers above the cooktop.

Here's a link to the hood: http://www.bestrangehoods.com/store/products/productdetail.aspx?id=7ab0e747-b68e-4d14-81ae-984af5392d1e

My kitchen is 11x13 feet and can be closed off from the rest of the house.

The cooktop would be a Miele Cooktop KM 3485 G: http://www.mieleusa.com/usa/cooking/cooktops/product.asp?nav=&snav=&tnav=&oT=43&model=375&series=81&subcat=11&cat=3&menu_id=16&active=Our%20Products&subm=Home%20Appliances&thirdL=Cooking%20Products&fourthL=Cooktops&;

I'm planning on using a 1500CFM external blower which vents out directly in back of the cooktop, so there's not a lot of vents for the small/smoke to go through.

Do you guys think that this would work out ok? I am really not partial to the look of the large metal pro-style hoods. And I was going to do a built-in hood but this one is sooo much nicer. :)

Comments (13)

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like pullout hoods (have had 2). Do get an extra wide one if your cabinets next to the cooktop are level with the hood cabinet. I had I think 650 CFM on mine, but had side cabinets to help funnel to fumes.

Keeping it all flush is a good look. I like this setup (although I'm too short to actually do it) and I bet this hood doesn't even pull out.

Oddly enough, after all my appliance shopping, I was surprised to see there was a hood company called "Be Strange Hoods". Better make some coffee...

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ditto fori.
    I like the look. I would get it. Post again if you have more questions.

This company "Best" is part of the same family that owns Broan, Nutone, Venmar and others.

best range = be strange. (Humor).

• ginny20
    12 years ago

I also read it as "Be strange." Too funny! I had a pull out hood from 1961 in my old kitchen, and it was a really nice feature. I think you should go for it. I don't know about the 1500 CFM, however. How loud will that be?

• Fori
    12 years ago

So it's not just me reading things in a whole new way. It's not as though I'm unfamiliar with the brand. It just read that way, one of those "gee should I really click that?" links.

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It has 4 speeds. But really I have no idea how loud they would be. Great question though. I will call them tomorrow to find out.

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, they can't say how loud it will be since it depends on how far away the blower is. And they said to add up my cooktop's BTUs and divide by 100 to get the amount of CFMs that I need. So I'm going to go with the 900CFM. Hopefully it will all work out.

One more question: They said that if I raise the hood higher than 30" from the countertop that it will become less efficient. Does anyone have a different experience?

• Fori
    12 years ago

It's true--less efficient the higher you go, and with no side cabinets, even less efficient. The nice thing about 1500 CFM is that you can run it on low and it'll be quiet. But once in a while, you can turn it up when you're making something messy or steamy and yes it'll be noisy, but most of the time it won't be. Remember you don't run it at 1500 CFM very often. But when you need it, it's there.

In an application where it's higher than standard and/or when there are no side cabinets, you want it wider and blowier. BTU by 100 is a very general vague guideline because it doesn't deal with the setup or the cooking style.

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Fori!!!! That was great advice. I'm going to stick to the 1500CFM like you suggested. It makes sense. And I do have side cabinets, so that should help to move the air in the right direction.

• Fori
    12 years ago

You'll like the slideout--when tall people bump their heads, instead of making them bleed, the hood just scoots back in. Less cussing! :)

• happyanca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hysterical! I won't wear my heels cooking anymore.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I think it also works well when placed as low as possible. It is transparent. You can see through it, and this is practical if you want to pull out all the way AND stand real close and act like a tall person.
    . Similarly, as you see through any glass sneeze-guard (and the food service industry has sneezeguards everywhere, that don't interfere with your hands and arm movements), you can swirl stuff in the pan without dipping your head under the "hood" every time you need to perform an action. This is a serious comment, not humor.

• stjamesb
    12 years ago

This is one cool hood. Does it really work? it looks like something flat that you pull out. I thought that a standard hood has the funnel so help to draw smoke up.

• Fori
    12 years ago

They work fine. Most hoods (filter types) are flat on the underside so it's not really that different.

I moved and don't have good illustrative pictures of mine but it worked well with a measly 650 CFM and was preceded by an 80s Kenmore version with probably less that also was pretty good. This one here is mounted pretty high due to the cabinet guy's interpretation of code which I allowed because thought was great--I loved the openness. This is a 36" wide GE Monogram. The guts are all in the cabinet, but there is still room on the sides of the cabinet for a crockpot and some gin. And it's easier to get INTO that cabinet because it's lower and you don't have to reach around a hood. These are great for small kitchens.

My next kitchen might have that Best model. Sleek!

Closed:

Open showing the mesh filters of a normal hood:

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus