Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjl443

update layout - change fridges/MW area

rjl443
11 years ago

My DH was set on getting the Fridaire all-fridge/freezer twins. I don't think our kitchen is big enough to not be dominated by them, our kitchen width is 13' 9" and they would really only fit on the center wall, which happens to be a major thoroughfare for our house. We are a family of 2 + toddler.

We are considering at 36 French door fridge, standard of counter depth.

We were trying to get 2 dishwashers near each other in here, but cannot really figure that out without making massive updates/expansion. I put the 2nd near the island/prep sink.

What do you all think?

Comments (14)

• rjl443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The corner base is actually two doors with a 90 degree hinge but I don't know how to get visio to show that.

The 12 depth cabinets on the back of the island may be glass door front.

• rosie
    11 years ago

I've never had 2 dishwashers, so can't offer any experience. I just wanted to say it all seems to be coming together very nicely. I really like compacting the cabinets and creating a view and light to invite you guys forward the many times a day you use that center hall. Beauty and charm carefully developed for maximal impact--IMO, extremely worthwhile.

• rjl443
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

That is a reason we were thinking of using those glass front cabinets at the ground level that you see when you walk in. We have some nice FiestaWare that we could put in those and get them out of deep storage in our Dining Room (AKA kitchen annex).

We thought about moving up/shortening those big windows to increase cabinetry/space but it is a nice space to have all of that light from the windows. We might get a storage bench/window seat for that area, we are hesitant to put in a permanent window seat since we might need that spot for high-chairs if we have another baby in the near future and a possible adoption goes through.

We just did an IVF cycle and waiting for the results so you never know our family could be growing!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I'm just curious why you're set on 2 dishwashers with a 3-4 person household? If you entertain enough to need them, I'm thinking you might regret decreasing your fridge/freezer storage...

I shared with you in the last thread that we had dishwashers in 2 different locations previously (1 in the kitchen work area, and one in the dining area buffet) and it didn't work for us. During those times when you have enough dishes to use both, you'll do a lot of walking back and forth, probably dripping across the floor, trying to get both loaded efficiently/getting the best use of the space. Also, it's easiest to unload a dw if it's close to the dish storage. You are maybe thinking you might only put cooking tools in the prep area dw, but that's what didn't happen or work out for us.

I'm guessing it might be part of your dish storage, but you could consider moving the prep sink to the left one cabinet, and placing the island dw in the 24" cabinet at the left end of the island. It would open toward the window, but still be reachable from the cleanup sink when necessary. I'd move the prep sink down that one place, so the area directly across from the stove is free for prep. Just my 2 cents' worth.

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago

all right, so we made some quick decisions and rushed things about 3 years ago in our renovations. Now we have to fix some of these things because they are making me crazy.

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

rhome410 - you were right - the 2 dishwashers separately is making me nuts. The long island becoming a barriers is also not working.

posting a better picture now -

• rhome410
    8 years ago

How much are you willing/able to change? And tell us more about when and how the island is a problem. --Not that I can't see how it might be, but knowing more about what aggravates you might help you get better advice.

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago

we were considering an addition - but the cost is prohibitive. Now considering if/how we can fix our layout concerns in our existing space.

Primary concerns are:

1. Like having 2 dishwashers, cannot stand having them separated from each other. Dirty dishes gather at both sinks.

2. Island is a barrier - between refrigerator and range - when you walk into the kitchen you walk right into it. When you are on the range side - it prevents access to cabinetry and wall oven on other side of island.

3. Walkway from Dining Room through kitchen to Family room - too crowded - it is 37-38 inches at its narrowest (fridge). Aisle on range side is 40"

4. Fridge keeps failing (compressor breaks) - it has been down more than working for the last 12 weeks. May need to replace and don't want to replace with giant food fridge again - it blocks walkway (see #3). Last time Electrolux paid for repair but now it's broken again. I can't deal with the long repair times with a family to feed.

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago

Here is one idea that I came up with - it's a little crazy but what do you all think?

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago

• Roberta Long
    8 years ago

this is a good idea - thank you!!!! I have been considering if we really have space for the island. It is nice to have the extra workspace and sink, but it blocks access to our big tall cabinets and wall oven. Additionally, with the big door fridges (which I don't like, but DH loves), the clearance is not good.

So basically 2 peninsulas is the suggestion. We have really crammed so many appliances into this kitchen, but the flow is problematic. We could make both sides of the peninsula straight across (currently dining room side is raised). For eating/bar space/serving.

• sena01
    8 years ago

Oh, I didn't realize your other tall cabinets are staying and the wall oven there. Then the layout with 2 DW on the island and 15 deep cabs next to the recessed fridge can work. But I'd consider making the island deeper to avoid water splashes on the floor and recess the fridge more. Next to the fridge (on the FR side) you can either have art on the wall or if possible, between the studs storage like this.

Feng Shui Fix · More Info