Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switch Refrigerator and Oven location?

Posted by chetsmom (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 15:55

In our current kitchen plans the oven/MW, stove, and pantry are located together on a separate wall. I'm wondering if we will find the location of the refrigerator inconvenient. Should we move it to where the oven/MW is? Or am I just over-thinking this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switch Refrigerator and Oven location?

We will have a similar run of pantry, frig & wall ovens. In comparison we ARE switching your oven and frig together. Even if you are a more frequent user of the MW, it pales in comparison to how many times a person puts things in or out of the frig.

I'm going to watch the responses in case we missed anything.

o
RE: Switch Refrigerator and Oven location?

Your island is a bit of a "barrier island" for the current location of the refrigerator. If you switch the oven & refrigerator, it will be less of a barrier b/w your Prep Zone (the counter b/w the cooktop and sink) and refrigerator.

A couple of other comments:

• Consider a 90-degree corner rather than a diagonal cabinet. Right now, you don't have much floor space/counter frontage to the right of the sink for prepping. If you make it a 90-degree corner, you gain 12" of floor space. For most people, the deep corner created by a diagonal front cabinet is not very useful except for a TV or maybe a mixer - i.e., storing things there that you don't need to access/pull out that often. I would much rather have the additional counter frontage!

• Consider many more drawers instead of all those standard cabinets! Most of us here find drawers far more functional than standard base cabinets - even if you have roll out tray shelves in those cabinets.

•  o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here