Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsuggestion

Frameless/Full Access Cabinets

mrsuggestion
12 years ago

We are planning a complete kitchen renovation and have decided on frameless cabinets. Our style choice is a stained maple raised panel door. I have a quote for Ultracraft and am waiting for a quote on Innermost (Home Depot). Are there any other manufacturers that you would recommend? I also got two quotes from local (Long Island NY) custom shops, but were about 20-30% more than Ultracraft. Thanks very much. The information and photos on this site are terrific.

Matt

Comments (18)

• chiefy
    12 years ago

I'm also researching frameless cabs right now. I'll warn you that the Innermost quote was really high. The salesperson said its HD's most expensive line. I have a quote from Tedd Wood Luxury Line and in the process of getting a Brookhaven quote - they have option of framed or frameless construction.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

ikea cabinets, ikea drawers (unadorned) and then add ANY drawer front on them.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Folks are really happy with IKEA for the price. I have Brookhaven and think they are great. Brookhaven is a WoodMode product, so look for WoodMode dealers. That should give you a range to compare for price, quality and features.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

We're just installing the InnerMost. Not sure why you're waiting on a quote - when we sat down and laid out the cabinetry on HD's computer design program, it was just a question of hitting the "add it up" button to get a total. For a final, final number you always have to go back and make sure you added in the finished sides or light rails or trim or whatever, but you should have a really good number at the end of your first serious sit-down.

Anyway, it may indeed be more expensive, but we were looking for quality craftsmanship and that's what we got. Everything fits together just so (with one exception), the finishes are excellent; we're pleased and we're sticklers for things being built right. Our one exception is a drawer in a bank that just doesn't fit properly. The drawer face itself is about 1/16" off which matters because the tolerances on frameless cabinets is very exacting. We called HD, they called InnerMost, the rep came by our house the same day, agreed it just didn't quite fit and a new one is on the way along with a couple of extra goodies for our troubles. Another plus for us is that our kitchen is small enough that we need the cabinets to fit our space, not modify the space to fit standard sizes. We needed to lose 1" of cabinetry along a wall and it wasn't a problem at all - a 15" bank of drawers turned into a 14" bank of drawers (not the problem drawer bank).

Had we not done the InnerMost, we would have seriously considered davidro1's suggestion: Ikea boxes with other doors/drawers, probably Scherrs as people here have good things to say about them.

• chiefy
    12 years ago

@Suzannesl - did you only consider InnerMost and Ikea?
    It's good to hear from someone who's actually used InnerMost since they're so new. Just wondering what else you were looking at.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

Ultracraft is an awesome cabinet, with a great price. They have no charge mods on cabinets, any upgrade finish for 5%. Look at the door named "raised" they imported this door from the lower level line, and the pricing is nearly unbeatable.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Chiefy, we went through a two stage process that was a bit unusual. At first we were planning on adding onto an adobe house that's been in the family for about 70 years. For that kitchen we were planning on custom. That plan fell through due to the cost of making an addition to an adobe match the current house. The price tag was perilously close to the value of the current structure plus the 5 acres it sits on! We didn't build it, but I spent a lot of time here working out details. Had we done this, I don't think we'd have gone with the custom guy we'd been talking to. Kinda flaky.

Plan 2 was renovate our (small) kitchen in the house we've been living in for the last 37 years. Upon realizing that this house wasn't getting any bigger, we focused on making the most of what we had. That led us to the decision to go frameless. We wandered around looking at all the frameless cabinets that we ran across without any sit-downs with sales reps. This included Ikea. When we found the InnerMost, we knew that was what we were looking for. So that's what we did. Had we run across "issues," we would have moved onto Plan 3, but we didn't, so here we are. I know, that's not the way you're supposed to do it, but it's what we did. After 9 months of thinking kitchen in one form or another, we just knew it when we saw it. We installed the cabinets ourselves last week, so we've had an up-close and personal look at what we're dealing with. We spent today putting on the knobs and pulls. My goodness! what a job! Still happy with our decision, but glad we don't do knobs and pulls for a living.

mrsuggestion - when you get serious about a particular cabinet line, be sure that the KD or whoever sits down with you and goes over every inch of what you're planning. If they're short-handed, make an appointment. We did all our own measuring (like 5 times) because a little mistake here or there can be a disaster. We went back several times over a 6 week period to be sure we liked what we'd planned as well as being technically correct. We never made radical changes, but we made many small adjustments after we took the new plan home, measured everything, and pondered. Even then we neglected to plan a space between the wall where the peninsula begins and the peninsula. Fortunately, this oversight was easy to correct as we installed, because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to open the first bank of drawers-the drawers would hit the door frame close by. Yikes! A mistake like that in a cabinet run between two walls would have been horrifying. Unless you're hiring a real KD, not whoever's on the floor at Big Box, you need to be super careful.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I am also pricing cabinets on Long Island. I have not priced Ultracraft or Innermost. I got fair prices from Kitchen Source (Charlie) in Farmigdale on Woodcore, Proline cabinets. It is a value line of a cabinet company in New Hyde Park that has some higher end stuff, but their proline is 3/4" construction, choice of only a few door style (raised panel is one) and any stain (on maple). I priced Medallion Silverline at perimeters / riverhead bldg supply and it was the same price as proline, not as good construction. I went to Douglas Kitchens, also in Farmingdale, and priced Kemper cabinets and they were alot more money and it took them months to get me a price. I am waiting to get prices from Lakeville in Lindenhurst, you should check out their showroom. I found that Jeff at Artistic kitchens in smithtown, Rt347, was very helpful and I am working with him to get some prices on Europa and Grabill brands. Good luck, it's not easy getting prices from LI dealers. I think they assume after you deal with them for weeks and weeks, they've got you.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

mrsuggestion, until you go see Blum drawers in action, you will not know whether they really ARE anything special or not. Blum Metabox drawers.

mrsuggestion, until you go see Blum drawers in action, and price them out, you will not know whether Ikea is anything special or not. Blum Metabox drawers, bought at Ikea.

On the web you can find out how much a "raw" drawer costs.
    1/. Ikea's Blum Metabox.
    2/. Blum Metabox, from a dealer, not from Ikea.

After you've done that "homework" you will be happy to order drawer fronts from anywhere. Who cares where; you don't need to know right now. Right now you don't even know that Ikea sells Blum's Metabox drawers. (If you did know this, you wouldn't be asking the questions you are asking). It may be that you don't know yet what Metabox is.

It is possible to buy everything by web and phone, once you know that there IS a good deal using these suggestions. Ikea-Blum Metabox drawers only come in certain sizes. For any sizing that the Ikea kits don't offer, you buy Blum Metabox parts from a dealer and you have the drawer built. Suddenly it's a semi-custom kitchen. No big deal.

The specific drawer front you will put on each drawer is a future decision. First choose the Blum Metabox hardware or another kind of hardware. Then, attach drawer front panels. The two steps are independent of each other.

If you don't like saving money AND getting Blum Metabox drawers, post again to make that clear to me and I will not write again about Ikea. Blum has other kinds of drawer hardware too. And there are many competitors to Blum.

Hth

• editionk
    12 years ago

The Eudora line was suggested to me by a local KD after she got sick of me asking for butt doors on every cabinet.

I don't know much about them, other than she stated they were value conscious and that they don't put much money into advertising. While the Eudora line is newish (about 2-3 years old), the parent company Door Components has been making framed cabs for a while.

The link below is not the KD I visited, but has a decent overview of Eudora's door styles and finishes.

***Does anyone (Kompy? Live Wire Oak?) have any insight on Eudora?*** The Eudora quote is the lowest price I've received to date (and the only frameless).

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Eudora Door Styles

• mindstorm
    12 years ago

mrssuggestion, I know that some time back, someone had compiled a wonderful table of all the frameless lines around and populated it with whatever information they or this place could collect about it including where they fell on the cost axis. I hope that someone has retained that link and can post it for you. I wish I'd saved a link to it myself but wasn't that interested in the information having finished my kitchen, so I didn't bother.

In addition to Ultracraft, lascatx's recommendation for Brookhaven is a very good one. Its very worthwhile checking them out to see if they are what you want. No idea about Innermost. Cabico is another well-regarded frameless line; out of Canada.

If you're keen on custom, you could also investigate Crownpoint's frameless line as they have introduced one as of a few years ago.

I hope someone can reproduce the link I referred to earlier. It was quite a resource. Anyhow, if you wish to do your due diligence amongst these 4 lines, you should know how to evaluate your Innermost product and cost.

Good luck.

David, for as much and as hard as you peddle IKEA, I would think that you would know that Ikea uses the Blum Tandembox kit - not Metabox. Metabox are pretty low-end; okay for a garage (I think). Tandembox are Blum's top-line product.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

We have DeWils and are very happy with them. Blum soft close hardware is standard with them and in their frameless line, you can choose either wood dovetail drawers or the Blum metal ones. They were a pleasure to work with, everything came well packed and in great condition.

They do semi-custom which we used to order the drawer heights we wanted and custom height on our oven and over fridge cabinets.

Their dealer locator shows places around Long Island.

Since Innermost is new, I don't know how it compares price-wise with DeWils.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

yeah, wow. Why was I writing that other term? Misspoke, mistook one for the other. Tandembox. I'll have to memorize that.

In any case, it all goes to show that the deal is there to be bought, but it's almost a secret. Ikea never mentions it by name either as "Blum" or as "tandembox". I just used a term that popped up in my head; sorry about the mistake. A web search using "ikea Tandembox" as the two key words now gives me interesting results. Some of the drawer front manufacturers are there. Some of the GW discussions are there too.

ikea Tandembox.

Actually, it can get complicated. Blum has other terms too, like Blumotion. This can get confusing. Ikea doesn't label its Blum products in any way that makes them identifiable. "Rationell" is a term they use to apply to a thousand things, not just the Blum parts they sell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deep fully-extending drawer(s) at Ikea (Rationell)

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

We have frameless cabinets from Dura-Supreme and are very happy with them. I believe they are running a promotion right now.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

i used kitchen craft made in canada in my home 6 years ago. i would say kitchen craft is priced along the same lines as kraftmaid and about the same quality.

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

Just to chip in on innermost, while they are new they are made by Medallion. They are built well, and should be a little higher than Ultracraft, and Ultracraft is way more flexible. Brookhaven are very nice, but the price point is a consideration. There are lots of good brands out there, you just have to find the best fit for you.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

I also like the Ultracraft. I went to a showroom that has a lot of displays using them. I also priced them against IKEA and found that they are not much more expensive (depending on door style) PLUS, you get to customize sizes to 1/16 inch. I couldn't use IKEA for that reason. Plus, (again) there are so many door styles and finishes that I had a hard time deciding which to go with.