Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fixture finishes- is chrome coming back?

Posted by illinigirl (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:48

What fixture finishes are in or out right now? I suspect chrome is popular in one sense in that it's less expensive, but is it coming back in higher end kitchens also?

I am undecided on my fixtures, but I'd prefer to pick something classic that I won't get tired of as easily.

Oh, also, should the faucet finish match the hardware finish or is it ok to mix them? Like black/orb cabinet pulls with a satin nickel faucet?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fixture finishes- is chrome coming back?

It's never been out. :)

o

Some very high end companies, Kallista, Waterworks, Lefroy Brooks, are almost completely limited to chrome or nickel fixtures (and some gold). I think it is the high end traditional standard and has never been out.

o

I agree that chrome has never been out. There have been other trends of ORB and brushed nickel, but chrome hasn't been out like polished brass was for a while.

o

Chrome has never been out. Pick something that you love, don't worry about anyone except you, the next person in your house can buy his or her own fixtures.

o

Not that my kitchen is high end (nor are pulls really fixtures, I guess) but we used chrome pulls and love them. They're shiny and I must be part crow!

o

I didn't think it was "out" either. I love chrome, I love the sparkle it gives the kitchen. It's like a shiny piece of jewelry.

o

Wow, I never knew chrome was out. Except for the cheap looking chrome faucets etc. But anything cheap looking is likely has always been "out"

o

It was nice to see all the responses and interesting to learn it is a high-end standard. My reaction was, oh, has it been out?, but I didn't know. :) I just replaced some of the fixtures in a 50-year-old bathroom with chrome to match other, original chrome details I wanted to keep, which were obviously better quality because they still looked nice.

I've read that, generally speaking, two finishes will work but three tend to be too much.

o

thanks everyone.....I wasn't suggesting that chrome was ever 'out'.....but i think with all the new(ish) finishes over the years it perhaps wasn't AS popular with some competition. Anecdotally it seems some of the brushed finishes were popular for a while maybe taking some of chrome's market share.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here