Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fullpass

Creamy white cabinets and white marble? Need overnight decision!

fullpass
15 years ago

Hi guys,

Well that 'light at the end of the tunnel' feeling just went away and I'm starting to feel like it's a train heading my way!!!

My Virginia Mist countertops went in late last night and I really like them. The problem is that they put the prep sink in the wrong place on the island and we can't make it work so now my guy is going to re-cut the island top free of charge. The issue is that he doesn't want to buy another slab and he wants me to go around and look at remnants with him.

I have a horrible feeling that even if I find a remnant I can live with it won't match right when we get it installed. He says Virginia Mist is very uniform and it won't be a problem but I'm nervous.

Anyway, it made me think about going with a contrasting granite/marble on the island. I recall that California_dreamer (I think) had a gorgeous creamy white kitchen with dark slabs on the permiter and beautiful white marble on her island. However, her island cabinets were dark and that balanced things.

Does anyone out there have creamy white cabinets (like somethings gotta give) with dark perimeter granite and white marble over white cabinets on the island?

I've searched through threads and couldn't find any pics even though I know some existed at one time. So I'm asking- pleading actually- for some help asap!!!

Comments (7)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am not sure I'd like the look of white marble against white cabinets. White on white can be really tricky and one usually ends up looking yellowish against the whiter of the two. If your island was dark, a white countertop would look wonderful in contrast to the rest of the kitchen. I think I'd try to see what matching granite he has. If it's on an island, a slight tone or pattern difference shouldn't be noticable.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Well, I don't have exactly for what you're looking but I do have a (mostly) white kitchen with (white) marble atop the white cabs:

I love it! I love the white on white and find it incredibly soothing, timeless and easy on the eye (not so much contrast). But that's me.

I also appreciate ccombs1' point but it makes me think of ahneb's kitchen (never posted a finished kitchen so don't bother looking in the FKB -- instead, do a search on GW). She has creamy cabs and a white marble. Also, do a search for erikanh: she's posted lots of beautiful inspiration pictures with creamy / white cabs and white marble ....

(just did a search and here's the link to ahneb's photos.)

But before you decide on a white marble, do first look at your fabricator's remnants -- you never know what gem you might find!

(By the way, I love Virginia Mist -- it is so pretty!)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

rmkitchen....I am slowly and carefully chewing my words as I eat them so that I don't choke! lol!! Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oh I disagree! I think white marble on off-white/cream cabinets can look fabulous! Just make sure to take your door with you and look at the slab in nice bright light. I was planning dark stone for my perimeters too, but I love marble so much that I'm including it on the perimeter too (as well as stainless steel and wood).

Here are some white kitchens with white marble counters from my inspiration file:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'll look for some with dark perimeter counters. I know I've seen them.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

oops you guys are too fast for me, I should have refreshed before posting!

Here are a few more:

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Also look at attimag's White Kitchens. There are a lot of white on white kitchens there.

Here's another photo gallery with several white on white kitchens:

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Gallery of Completed Traditional White Kitchens

• fullpass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everybody for your great advice. My heart is no longer in my throat!

I'm going to go ahead with the carrera marble island. I'm really excited about it and I've rationalized that if it's something I regret I'll be able to change it out later down the line- but I don't think it'll be regretted!

Once again the GW Kitchen crew has helped me out in a pinch! What a great place and what an amazing group of people!!!

Can't wait to post my completed kitchen pics!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Erika, you have such a great inspiration file. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us. I don't know how many times I have done a search on GW and come up with those beautiful kitchens you have posted and found something to help me in my kitchen remodel.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH