Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyshadowwalker_gw

Has anyone used Barker Cabinet Doors?

ladyshadowwalker
12 years ago

I am refacing my kitchen cabinets in a natural hard maple. I've done a lot of research and the the best price/value seems to be from barker doors. I was wondering if anyone had used them and what your experience was. I'm going to finish them myself and drill for the hinge cups. I'm planning to use a clear finish I want the color of each adjoining piece of wood to be fairly close.

Here's a pic of the new countertop and backsplash. I appreciate any advise on cabinet stain color although I want to stay with light wood and white appliances.

Comments (27)

• kateskouros
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i was very happy with the pricing and especially the quality from cabinetnow.com. you can select your door styles, type of wood and any other specs from their online site; use the form to specify sizes and you get an instant quote while online ...no emailing. i ordered paint grade maple but when the doors came in they were so clean our painter thought they were stain grade. they were absolutely perfect. really a great company to do business with.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet now

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ! I checked out their website the doors are lovely! they are still quite a bit higher in price then Barker Door but Barker door has very limited styles and no customization.

• badgergrrl
    12 years ago

Also, check the shipping. I thought Barker Door's shipping costs were high, comparatively.

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for checking! What do you think of barkers doors? I should qualify for free shipping with either. 20 doors, 4 drawer fronts veneer etc will add up to $1500.00 fast!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

No experience with Barker. I am really surprised that they do not come with a finish! That would concern me; the homeowner cannot really do as good a job with the finish as a cabinet shop can (conversion varnish or catalyzed for a durable finish). For another door source, do check out Scherr's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherr's door and RTA cabs

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Angie thanks!
    I submitted a quote for a door to get an idea of pricing, i prefer companies that have prices online so I can play with different options and get an idea of what it will cost.
    I'm afraid I must totally disagree with you about the finishing. A good urethane (esp Marine Spar Varnish) can provide all the durablilty I could ever want. I am sitting right next to a desk i refinished when i was in high school some thirty t.... err quite a while ago. Its had daily use ever since the finish is still smooth and shiny like a piece of glass ( I was into high gloss then) The desk i'm typing on I finshed 15 - 20 years ago same thing ( semi -gloss finish) Moldings, furniture, doors, even floors all done by me in the last 5 - 35 years still look great. I checked on some wood woorkers forums and many of those guys agreed with me, some say urethane is better then catalysed. I would say a mere mortal home owner CAN finish cabinet doors or whatever as good as a pro if you are willing to take some time to prep and carefully apply the varnish ( less is more when it comes to varnish ) gosh, I hope I don't have to eat my words when the doors come in . I have read many times where something was not a DIY project can't possibly be done by the home owner and look good, including all sorts of dire warnings blah, blah, blah. Well I 'm good thing i didn't know I couldn't do the project before I did it! ( exception is garage door springs - then I listen to the dire warnings) btw no one has ever guessed that I didn't have someone do the work I've done!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Well, I stand corrected then. I hope your finish comes out great!

I haven't had quite as much success as you. I have tried a number of finishes over the years. Some I am happy with, some not so much. Most are on surfaces that don't see much hard use; on an oak bookshelf I built a few years ago, I experimented with Minwax Woodsheen (which was oil-based at that time, now only water). I am happy with that, but a bookshelf does not get abused. Marine Spar Varnish on the sun-bleached front door has held up okay, but needs a recoat soon. I used water-based polyurethane on a red oak desk about 10 years ago, and I am not so thrilled with this one. There wasn't enough build-up to fill the pores adequately, and the surface is a dirt-magnet. So, I decided to try water-based, semi-gloss polyurethane floor varnish (!) on a recent desk I made out of hard maple. Too soon to tell how this will hold up. I was happier with the build-up on this, but hard to tell how it compared since the maple was so smooth to begin with (unlike oak!).

Personally, I am *pleased* not to have to finish my cabs!! I have enough to do as it is!

Yes, I wish Scherr's provided on-line pricing, too. At least they are very responsive; you should hear back from Leon shortly. Oh, I actually visited Scherr's in ND recently. Very nice folks. Fortunately, they were not directly affected by the flooding in Minot, but many of their workers took a big hit.

• JHKMT
    12 years ago

After researching several online door suppliers I decided to use barkerdoor.com. I was a little concerned with purchasing over $800.00 in cabinet doors & drawers over the internet but was very pleased with what I received. the cherry doors I received were sanded & ready to accept a finish. with the doors arriving without a finish on them I was able to choose any color I wanted which was nice. after applying the stain I put a top coat of polyurethane over them and they look great!the baltic plywood drawer boxes were also of great quality & went together with ease and are very sturdy. I would reccomend barkerdoor to anyone looking for a quality product at a great price.

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've just placed my order, w Barker Door a little nervous that I got everything perfect but I'm glad I finally made my mind up and I placed it

WIll let you know when the doors come in!

• jcla
    12 years ago

We ordered nine doors (for our island) from Barker. They arrived quickly and fit perfectly. We are very happy customers. :)

• Elizabeth W
    12 years ago

We ordered 15 upper doors in paint-grade maple from Barker. They arrived and were very good quality. Finish was very smooth. We were impressed. I shopped around for prices online, and Barker was the lowest I found. The shipping was almost $200 (we live in FL), but it was worth it. It was still inexpensive when you consider the door prices were very reasonable. We are satisfied customers!

• tommy4013
    10 years ago

Ok my experience with them has been awful it took all most 1 month to receive please check out return policies you will not be happy
    I did not order wood doors I ordered mdf for my small project.
    When the door arrived I was excited to install but to find my corners crushed I emailed them several times and no response i called no response.
    My assessment bad return policie bad costomer service if you don't believe me call them before you order you will get message that never calls back.
    Low grade mdf beware if ordering mdf.I did find lakeside doors Quality are much bettter Same price. hope this helped with hard working people who don't like throwing money away.

• crampon
    10 years ago

Tommy, don't take this the wrong way, but your post reads like spam. Care to post some photos of the doors from Barker, along with a photo of the invoice, so we can verify that you're legit?

• marcosjoven
    9 years ago

I placed an order for 5 doors on April 18, 2014. One panel was ordered from Barker Cabinets, 4 doors were ordered from Barker Doors. Total cost of these items was $ 538.

The panel from Barker Cabinets was delivered in 10 business days. The inset on the cabinet panel was made of very thin wood - I can bend this inset back and forth with my index finger.

The doors from Barker Door was delivered in 23 business days from my order date- 5 days later than the 18 business day projection.

Two of the doors were cracked on the outside frame. It appears likely that FedEx mishandled the package. Barker Door ships on a regular basis via FedEx - yet there was no labelling on the package that the items were fragile.

Barker Door replaced these two broken doors. Order for replacement was issued and I received new doors June 10th.

It appears that if you have a "small" ($500) order, you better be prepared to plan a couple months of lead time to receive the product, (and hope the product isn't damaged).

That 18 business day time frame for orders ? - don't take it seriously, unless you've got a more expensive order.

The cabinet doors I have received that weren't broken look like excellent quality - I didn't do any cost comparison between competitors.

The panel seems cheap and not worth the $225 I paid for it.

• gjeka02
    8 years ago

I ordered a custom drawer box to replace a kitchen drawer that was broken. I understood it would take several weeks to receive. It came well packaged. I opened the package to find two pieces were poorly made and were cracked where the dovetail met the drawer bottom slot. One piece had a two inch crack right through the material. It was rather obvious the part failed during fabrication and not as a result of shipping. I am awaiting an email response. I will be back once this issue is resolved to let you know if Barker Door stands behind their workmanship.

• ouimjh
    8 years ago

I was nervous to order new door's for my kitchen and bathroom vanity online but I read all the review's and decided to go with Barker Door. The only complaint I noticed was the time it took to receive the door's but considering the great price I was willing to take a chance. When the door's arrived (just one week after the projected time frame) the first thing I noticed was the care they took packing them (not one door was damaged in transport) and the quality of the door's and paint job. I have just finished hanging the last door and they were exactly the right size and look I was hoping for. I am very impressed with Barker Door and would order from them again.

• built1957
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Barker Door - not good. For a small furniture project I ordered drawer boxes from barkerdoor.com. The order didn't come after a "30 business day" lead time. I tried to contact them after 25 business days and their first response was they will ship next week. Didn't arrive and I contacted them again. Second response was "we'll try to figure out what happened" followed by no explanation. After seven and a half weeks I asked them to cancel the order and gave up and they said "Okay, we'll cancel" and gave me a credit card cancellation but my credit card doesn't show any credit after two days. This is not spam and Barker Door was a bad experience. Look at the top of their website for their "lead time" and add a few weeks to that before you should expect a delivery.

Update. Barker Door finally credited my account from the cancelled order.

• cjbarbeau
    7 years ago

My kitchen and master bath is all barker cherry on the kitchen and walnut in the master. High quality cabinets. Finish is great and assembly easy. Their prices for the quality is excellent. One of my requirements was American made and this is one of the only companies in the US that have offer RTA cabinets. Conestoga also offers cabinets but they were part Hobby Lobby lawsuit so that for me was nonstarter.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

I've got to speak up for Scherr's Custom RTA Cabinets. They are a custom cabinet maker that does RTA cabinets. You get exactly what you want. They assemble as much or as little as you require. I had them assemble my drawer boxes and I did everything else. They have more than three finishes. I had a great experience with them. I will use them again.

Scherr's cabinets are made in North Dakota. Leon Scherr has been in business for at least 25 years. They were cost competitive and had really good customer service. You could actually talk to someone. They helped you answer questions and solve problems. That is why I selected them over Barker's.

Scherr's does have a rather clunky, old fashioned website. You fill out a form with your requirements and send them a rendering of your plan including measurements. They put it into a CAD and cost it out for you. I think one of the reasons more folks at GW tend to use Barker's is because of Barker's online ordering system. While it's sort of efficient, many people just don't want to talk to anyone and would rather work up an order to see the price. You actually have to talk to someone about your order at Scherr's. I guess people are shy about it. It's a great product and nice group of people.

• just4retail
    6 years ago

Sorry to say I used Barker with high hopes. Doors came damaged. Replacement doors took weeks longer. No compensation from company for additional costs caused by their mistakes, only unprofessional comments from Chad Barker of customer service. Look elsewhere, you don't need to be treated this way.

• Joseph Daines
    6 years ago

I work 10 minutes from their location and could easily pick up the items. I shopped and calculated the shipping on their website and it was 50% of my total order. The order was near $300 and shipping $145. Ridiculous! They will not allow pick up at their location. I may as well order from across the country since they don't encourage local purchases.

• Hash Blocker
    6 years ago

My first experience was great with Barker Doors. I watched the Barker door videos for instructions on how to measure, then placed an order for three doors to complete a bathroom project. Although I decided to paint, rather than stain, the wood quality and craftsmanship was obvious. The installation of was effortless and has inspired me to take on replacing the kitchen cabinet doors as well. Seeing the quality Barker Doors provided, I am planning to have the doors professionally stained sealed by Barker, ready for installation for this next go round.

• Russell Smith
    3 years ago

Purchased doors and drawer fronts last year. Highly recommended!

• Linda Nealon
    3 years ago

I do not recommend Barker Doors. Terrible customer service and poor quality. Wanting to warn others.

• teaka123
    3 years ago

Love my Barker walnut cabinets.

• Elizabeth W
    3 years ago

I love mine too.