Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david123_gw

Under cabinet lighting Opinions?!?!?!

david123
15 years ago

The electrician will be here in 2 days, and we never really discussed what kind of undercabinet lighting we want- not sure if there are many options out there, or are we stuck with what he will put in? Any opinions out there- I feel very uninformed.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Here's a great thread for you. There are two links that go into great detail about your choices. I think I will go with florescents with warm bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: undercabinet lighting discussion

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I like the Xenon but it isn't as efficient as flourescent. You can get special bulbs for the flourescent to get a less yellow glow from the light but they are pricey. I like the attached company's product but I have not finalized the choice with our electrician yet. What I like about them:

price point: less than $25 a unit including the bulb

they claim to cover about a 42 inch area with one 8 inch light - bulbs are recessed into a reflective cavity

they are direct wire or plug in

they are 120V so no transformer is required and you can link up to 6 single units

linking chord is provided but is only about 6 inches and they don't recommend more than 13 inches between units - but electrician can adapt the power chord to create the 13 inch chord between the units

they have a 1 inch profile and come in white and brushed nickel

So far our electrician likes them - as they are not low voltage they are not as efficient as some other products. I tried one out and I found the casing to be quite well made and that they didn't seem to get incredibly hot. They are substantial but can be easily concealed behind a light rail.

So far I'm impressed and I thought they offered good light but I can't compare them with Kichler our the other brands in terms of quality of light (with Kichler and most others light comes straight down with these it arcs out so you have areas above the countertops that are not illuminated - I noticed for instance that the tops of canisters were not hit wth the light from the fixture while the countertop aound the canister bases was illuminated - not an issue for us. In terms of price point they are a very good value.

Perhaps they're terrible, mine won't go in for a few more weeks but they look promising.

Here is a link that might be useful: amertac

• rosalita
    15 years ago

My KD told me her personal kitchen has xenon lights which seemed to blow fairly quickly and are bit pricey. She recommended I use the flourescent bulbs you can buy at any HD/Lowe's. She said just to be sure to get the warmest bulb. I've never had the xenon which are recommended often on this board but I am very happy with my less expensive flourescents.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I had planned on using Xenon. I heard such nice things about them.....and then I started reading some things that weren't so nice. I am sure many people have them and love them. But since I am on such a tight budget, I have decided to go with florescent. The initial purchase of the fixture is less, the replacement bulbs are less, and they don't burn as much electricity. Seems like a very good choice.

• david123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! Off to read those links -

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Budget is a big issue for me and this company has a series of halogen and flourescent lights as well. The flourescent units are about the same price as the Xenon and give off 25% less light and only 13% less heat. I think the heat is less with these because it is a puck light size bulb in a much more substantial casing. Bulb life is the same between the xenon and compact flourescent models (10 thousand hours). Something has to be wrong with them but I can't figure out what it is.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I have the Seagull Linear Xenon Lighting. Wonderful warm and even light and not hot at all. Kichler makes a similar product.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I have Xenon - a year & half & I've never blown a bulb, so I'm surprised to hear that someone thinks they blow quickly.

Not too hot (I've certainly felt MUCH hotter!), & what I really love is the high & low setting - task or mood lighting at the flip of a switch!

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I put in xenon a few months ago in my rec. room kitchenette and I do not like them. They are very hot - so hot that things in the bottom shelf of the cabinet are too hot to touch after the lights have been on a while.

I'm going with fluorescent in the kitchen.

Anita

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals