Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

FINALLY found my inspiration! Can u help me pull this together?

melaska
13 years ago

I've been going 'round & 'round on color schemes, & such for my kitchen...& basically the whole house since the kitchen/living/dining are in one area.

I think I've been going about this the wrong way (for me, anyway). I cannot look at single colors or even pics of kitchens, etc...I had to look in an entirely different direction & found what I was looking for while surfing on the web with no intent of looking for inspiration.

Here's what I found...I instantly felt 'this is it!' This is what I want! Lesson learned for me - find photos of things/places I would want to go visit. If it makes your heart smile when you see it...that's a good sign! :)

I found this lovely glass tile - I think it's made by Oceanside Glass Tile but I can't find this particular piece on their website - does anyone know?

I'd like to pull out as much of these colors of the first picture as I can. Oh, by the way, this is "Oia in Santorini, Greece at sunset". I am pretty much decided on mostly whitish cabinets with maybe the island a darker color in the first picture.

Can you give me some tips on how to use some of the other colors? I will want to use the yellows & orange tones to warm things up.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments (32)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

What wonderful inspiration pictures. The aqua is just gorgeous and white cabinets look so nice and crisp, then to the upper left of the picture there is a blue & yellow together which is wonderful. Just going to throw out some pictures and hopefully you can relate to the kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

What a magical place! I wonder if your starting point, now that you've found your inspiration, is to put into words what your inspiration evokes. For example, romantic, but simple. That way, you know you'll be able to translate the emotional impact of your inspiration to your kitchen.

One thought I had was to use lighting that echoes the soft, warm points of light in the photo. I wonder if you could find a beautiful, earthy granite like the surrounding cliffs.

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

vampiressrn: Thanks for the great pics! I especially like the top 2 - the window treatment in the 2nd one anchors the cool colors very nicely :)

pickle2: Good idea...I'll write some words now...

Calm
    Serene
    Simple
    Relaxing
    Glowing

I don't care for really ornate things...lines or 'fussy' things. I like very simple lines.

A thought I had was to get glass tiles in some of the colors & make my own abstract "Oia in Santorini, Greece at sunset" as a backsplash, maybe. I'm arty so I think I could pull it off.

Ohhh, I like your idea of the lighting...how would you do it? The earthy granite sounds marvelous - yes, I was thinking of doing something like that.

Thank you for your input, all :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

melaska, I love your idea of the your own Santorini-blend tiles : ) . But just in case, I found your tiles at the link below (is that where you found them?), I'm sure you could write to the blogger for specifics.

Pickle's question reminds me of the Sweeby Test, which is a huge help for planning,

I am thinking you could get that sort of indirect, "glowing" lighting under the cabinet, in the cabinets, and maybe even rope lighting on top of them...

It will be fun to watch your kitchen take shape!

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Oceanside glass tile at blog

13 years ago

Oops, my link for the Sweeby test got lost. Here it is (I hope),

http://starpoohonline.com/wordpress/2007/07/31/the-sweeby-test/

Just doing some Googling and found this via Houzz, a Greek cottage designed by the UK company Steel Daisy. Click on "interior projects" > "residential" > "Greek House". You can see the kitchen at Houzz,

https://www.houzz.com/photos/steeldaisy-associates-traditional-kitchen-london-phvw-vp~12626-Associates-traditional-kitchen-london

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Greek cottage house with kitchen

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, becky...how did you find that specific tile? Yes, that's where I got the original picture from and I already emailed the blogger :) Thanks!

Love your lighting ideas...yes, I definitely want some lit glass cabs. If you poke around at that blog, she has some wonderful decorating ideas.

Here's just one of the pics:

Here is a link that might be useful: Adding elegance to your desktop

• riverspots
    13 years ago

There have been a few earthy granites posted recently-3 in this post: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0900430818543.html?34 and the mascarello found at the below link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mascarello slab

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Here are a few more ideas maybe they can help you.
    ~boxerpups

Molly Frey Kitchen

Design Graphic

Point Magazine

Nest Egg Blog

Bollay Kitchen

Classic Twist

Kitchen Azule jos Verdes

• gillycat
    13 years ago

regarding that tile inspiration. Did you notice what she said?
    The installed selections are from five different manufacturers and four different tile vendors.

Also wanted to add that the picture in vampiressrn's selection of the back of the glass fronted cabinet painted blue screams Greece to me. I absolutely love the feeling i got when i saw it - exactly what you describe

can't wait to see your finished project

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

becky: thanks for the sweeby link! I also love Houzz...have a lot of idea books there.

riverspots: yes, that's a really good example of the cliff color - thanks! :)

boxerpups: THANK YOU for those luscious pics! That 'Nest Egg Blog' is talking to me :)

Oh my, that "Classic Twist ceiling & floor! Wonder what kind of floor that is? LOVE that blue! Also, the last pic is screaming at me to "Please take me!" :)

muspic: Yes, that blue inside the glass cab grabbed me, too...it would be especially pretty with some inside cab lighting! Hmmm, maybe I could put a few of those iridescent tiles in there to really make it 'shine'.

Yes, those tiles from Centsational Girl won't be able to be duplicated but I'll use hers to get some simple, cheaper ideas.

This is fun you all! I really appreciate everyone's help :)

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Melaska - I love what you are trying to do. I am really enjoying the inspirational photos from all. The tile you are looking at is stunning, but I agree that the white cabinets with blue paint inside that is in vampiressrn post screams Greece (add some butcher block for the gold "light".) I would never dissuade from blue tile with white - classic - but in addition to the blue inside the cabinets I like the blue on the ceiling - unexpected & striking. You avoid the white/blue/white effect, though beautiful, that can break up a serene feeling kitchen when you have all white cabinets & a blue back splash.

I also adore the "Greek Cottage House" that becksharp posted (I think I am going to email them about the BS - it is something I might use in my place.) The wood is the gold of the lights in your scenic photo. The blue on the wall and the white in the cabinets as well.

But after all this talk of different ways to do blue other than the tile, the photo I share shows white cabinets, walls and blue/gray tile (which gets back to the serene feel.) I wish I knew the source, sorry.

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sparklekitty...thanks for that beautiful picture! Yes, that Greek house is stunning - be sure to let us know if you find out what tile is used.

I just found a tile company in Anchorage (300 miles from me) that deals with the "Oceanside" brand...yay! We're getting everything from Anchorage anyway so no big deal to add that to the list.

I see what you mean about the blue ceiling - you are right...I would never have thought of that. Another reason this place rocks :)

I'm going to have to get a print of my picture to keep with me for color matching.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

First feeling I got when I saw your inspiration pictures was the same feeling I had when I saw CienzaÂs breathtaking Van Gogh? CountertopÂgiddy from overwhelming beauty. So, these are my picks but with a blue-ish Van Gogh stone.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/ideas/?action=view&current=vangoghblue.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/ideas/?action=view&current=backsplash.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/ideas/?action=view&current=1545_8.jpg"; target="_blank">

13 years ago

melaska, thinking still of lighting and your inspiration words, especially "glowing" and "simple", something like this, the Kichler Lighting 3475 Hendrik Mini Pendant, comes to mind (link below).

I'm not really in a position to be adding any of Centsational Girl's elegance to my desktop at the moment, since our desk is in our already too-small kitchen, along with the kitchen table, and we homeschool there too (three kids, ages 9-13)! And at the moment, most of the spare surfaces are covered with tomatoes from the garden : ).

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler Lighting 3475 Hendrik Mini Pendant

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jterrilynn: I'll link a thread I found with a bigger picture - that is truly beautiful!

becky: I really do like that pendant - thanks! It has a simplicity I love & it's in the warm range. I know what you mean about desktops - I homeschooled up to 4 kids at a time. We're empty nesters now, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cienza's Van Gogh countertop

• plumberry
    13 years ago

your inspiration photo reminded me of this garden web kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: grace santa cruz

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Melaska, thanks for the bigger picture! Such an emotionally moving stone is it not? ItÂs funny how travel can influence your kitchen picks. Mostly I had my yellow painted uppers and dark cherry lowers and other new kitchen things picked out before my vacation to Italy and Madrid this summer. However, before I left I was leaning toward Soapstone or honed Virginia Mist for a countertopÂwhen I came back I was all screwed up with countertops for a while but ended up with a somewhat busy Italian stone on the sink and eat-in counter area. I love it; itÂs weird that I didnÂt think I even liked stones with more movement before the trip. My kitchen is small and a DIY but because of that I squeezed out a lovely vacation too. We are actually thinking of Greece either next year or the year after. But not a ten day tripÂnever again, too short!

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plumberry: That is a STUNNING kitchen! I saved it - thanks!

jterrilynn: Yes, very moving! I can sure relate to the going back & forth. It's so good to finally be going in a definite direction. It sure is a process, eh? There goes the vase & plate I got as a starting point...they were very earthy tones.

Oh, how fun that you may go to Greece!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I saw that initial picture and it reminded me of organic_donna's beautiful azul bahia granite. I am linking to her kitchen in the FKB, but I know I have seen better photos of her counters. I will do a search after I post this....

Here is a link that might be useful: azul bahia kitchen

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Ok... can't find more of that azul bahia on GW that I remember so fondly. Donna's counters had blue and white with touches of iridescent green in it. It looked like earth when all lit up and seen from space. It has a Grecian feel to it with the white and blue, and seems very festive.
    I have seen some in person in yards and the look varies. I am adding a link to google images of it to give you an idea.....

Here is a link that might be useful: azul bahia

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo: Thanks! I found some great pics at the site you linked...I'll post 3 below.

You are right, organic_donna's kitchen is amazing!

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Found some interesting tile today

Anyone have any ideas for things other than for the kitchen for decorating the living & dining room? I love a simple wainscoting...is that appropriate in the style I'd like? Thanks :)

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

I had an image also of a custom hood, made of white stucco, round profile.

Also, the reason the blue paint at the back of that cabinet screams Greece is because all over the Middle East people paint that blue color on doors and window frames to keep out the evil eye.

I love this color family too and chose it for my backsplash. I also painted it at the back of my family room bookcase, much like that cabinet pictured above!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Karen is right, you need to find something to stucco in your new kitchen to give it the Grecian feeling. The stucco has to be bright white as well. If you did wainscotting, I'd imagine it to be rough hewn and painted white.

Those new mosaics really capture your picture's tones. I can easily picture those in a feature by the stove or on your table top (and for trivets as well. Maybe instead of painting the back of the cabinet blue, you could tile it with those.

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

karen: interesting tidbit about the blue on doors & windowframes. I would love to see what you did with your backsplash & bookcase.

dianalo: Oh yes, definitely white wainscoting. I wonder what I could stucco in the kitchen? I'll probably have a stainless steel range hood.

Yes, the more I see that new tile, the more I need it! :) I really like the different sizes of tile. I wonder if I should even risk doing my own design. I've never tiled before & I'd sure hate to mess it up.

Does anyone see any other design features I could utilize in the Living/Dining rooms? I figure I'll have earth tone furniture to offset the cool colors along with colors taken from the first picture for accessories.

I'd really like to replicate that orange & yellow glowing light - I wonder how I could?

Thanks for all your input, everyone :)

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

Melaska,

Here is our backsplash:

And here is my bookcase (please excuse the huge mess!):

You can do a search of any Mediterranean (or Aegean I guess!) country and find blue windows of many different shades. I wasn't looking for this color scheme when I started planning, but when I saw the blue tile it was LOVE.

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, karen...I remember seeing this gorgeous kitchen just this past week...didn't you put it on the board? It was some kind of style with 3 initials (acronym) but I can't remember. It was something to do with an older style. Is this the one? Love that blue in your bookcases!

13 years ago

Love the tile, melaska. Could you use a simple stucco wall on one wall, as a feature wall? You could add an arch to a doorway depending on how involved your reno will be : ).

I would think about keeping a color scheme similar to the kitchen in the living/dining room area, but also include some earth tones, especially around a fireplace. For glowing yellow or orange, what about table lamps? At the Pottery Barn link below, take a look at the living room shot, too. It's transitional and seems to have a bit of a Mediterranean feel...

PB also has a small desk lamp and floor lamp (Hayes Mica) with amber shades,
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hayes-mica-task-table-lamp/?pkey=ctable-bedside-lamps

And at Crate and Barrel,

(look at the photo where the light is on),
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/table-desk-lamps/charles-silver-table-lamp/s675698

PB had something similar with a yellow shade vaguely reminiscent of the Greek key pattern, but they don't carry it anymore,
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/auburn-smart-technology-base-desk-lamp

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn yellow lamp

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for those great links, Becky :) You've given me some great ideas.

We are building new this Spring. I will have an arch between the dining & living with simple columns on the side. The south wall will be mostly windows (about 20 or so feet high) with a loft breaking up the space. Even though that sounds big the house will be relatively small. We're empty nesters.

We live in Alaska so we want to take advantage of solar energy. So, there's really no wall space there to do stucco.

Our furniture will be earth tones and there will be a mantel.

Thanks! :)

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    13 years ago

This reminded me of house_vixen's backsplash from several years ago. It is several posts down the page of the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Size Glass or Slate Backsplashes

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Omigod that photo of Santorini is gorgeous. What a great inspiration, and what a great idea--I think I'll look for places, too, instead of just pictures of kitchens for inspiration! And I really love that iridescent blue tile.

A few thoughts:

- Have you considered blue appliances? Or (this would be cheaper) a blue range with the other appliances being stainless or black (whatever you think looks good in context)? Fratelli Onofri has a blue 36" range (the Royal Chiantishire)--it's dark blue--and there are others in dark and/or light blue by, e.g., Aga (the Legacy), Lacanche, the Cornu Fe at Williams Sonoma, and of course special-order colors from Viking and so on. Here's the blue Fratelli:
    http://fratelliappliances.com/products.php?catid=1&pid=5
    It's dark, so potentially a nice contrast with white cabinets and light blue accents (the tile). It's definitely DARK, though, so you may want to order color samples from Eurochef at that link(they send them for free). The Aga Legacy in blue is also dark, and about $2000+ more expensive than the fratelli. Prices just go up from there, but so do your options in terms of what shade of blue.

- You'll also want some pops of gold here and there--something that makes you think of the sunset. Brushed brass fixtures, maybe? Or a few golden tiles in the backsplash?

- I assume white cabinets is what you're considering. I wonder if there's a way to incorporate the curves in some of those Santorini roofs--perhaps in the style of the door, maybe a half-circle arch motif or something?

- Others have already suggested blue counters. That would be GORGEOUS with white cabinets.

- What kind of floor do you have? Could you do... let's see... very dark wood, like espresso, to look like earth, the surface of those mountains? Or maybe, depending how it looks with the blues you choose and the white, a Mediterranean-looking floor of terra cotta tiles with painted accent tiles? If you like the dark color idea, either wood or cork or linoleum could work . I mean real, non-vinyl linoleum--it's matte, not shiny, and comes in several nice shades of dark brown, all with swirling like you see in cork, so it looks very natural... for example, look at the walnut and wine barrel here:
    http://www.forboflooringna.com/Residential/Products/Marmoleum-sheet-tile/Neutral-Color-Collaborators/

• melaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ideagirl: Thanks for your great ideas! I love that site...this floor really captures those colors

Thanks!