Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarina_gw

Newest Contender and now hubbys favorite.

Sarina
10 years ago

Here is my find at a different granite yard today. It is another version of White Ice. So many different versions of the same stone. What do you think? Photos are so hard but it looks pretty true to the picture. It does have a lot of cream in it and the blue greys and some light garnet waves some bits of darker colors but not to much.

Comments (34)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Pretty! Lick it before someone else snags it (It is a joke in the GW - that if you pretend to lick it, others will be so disgusted that they will ignore the slab)

• kylady7
    10 years ago

Really Beautiful.....Has a lovely movement to it! Reminds me of the Bianco Romano I am getting....Mine also has some cream but hard to see in pictures.I am doing Cream Cabinets ...where yours are wood..and so pretty! Can understand Why it's your hubby's favorite! What is the Cream Square..your tile?

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the tile is the floor . I am getting a house with a tract builder and that is the best tile they had I liked and it is porcelain so that made me happy. We sold our other house that we redid kitchen in 2008 this spring . We live in a resort area in Florida so everything custom now is just beyond reach so we chose to go with this builder doing tract homes because we loved the floor plan just as much as something we would have build. Well almost you know how that is. We also really love the community it is in has tons of walking trails , bike trails , dog park , pools and lots of other stuff to do. It is also just 25 minutes from the beach here in the Destin , Florida area.
    The granite lady today said this particular white ice reminds her of a combo of Bianco Romano and White ice :)

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to post a message earlier about the licking it, would not let me do it . That is so funny I had not heard that here before when I was here in 2007-2008. Yes I put it on hold :) So I have five days to make final decision.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

I hate to say this, but doesn't the floor read warm/beige and the counter read very gray/cool? It seems to in this picture, anyway. I'd be careful about that.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floor is a bit darker tan with cream in it and streaks of gray. I do not think it shows true to color on the computer I know my other floor never did either. I will have to look and look at all to decide and I sure hope it works . The granite has almost the same colors in it as the flooring so close . Would that not be okay then to use it together?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Don't look at the bits and pieces of color--look at the undertone. A warm tan floor does not go with a cool gray counter.

I wish I could find the thread where somebody just made this same mistake and didn't realize it till the granite was installed.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At the place where we saw the first granite we liked but then were like oh no we did not check it with floor we had granite on hold and we went back and the designer on staff agreed with us the minute we all saw it and said no would not work . So we looked around and I liked Sienna Cream and she said she thought it went together nicely. Then she said if I wanted something more sedate the Bianco Romano would go but we all agree it was not the prettiest of that stone we had seen but we took the pic anyway. Then today I found the the White Ice and it has the same pretty much the same colorings as the Sienna Cream and we liked it and the person there agreed. She was not a designer though and they are holding it for five days . I am hoping the place I want to fabricate it at has a designer I could go over it all with . If not I might hire someone would be money well spent.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope more will weight in here.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Hi, Sarina,

I would agree with other comments about undertones. The granite reads cool, while the tile reads warm. I'm not sure why, but cool counters can go with warm wood floors, but cool counters tend to "clash" with a warm stone or stone-like floor.

Now that you have found the countertop that you love (and it is indeed lovely!), can you reconsider the tile choices for one that's perhaps darker and cooler?

At the end of the day, though, you're the one who has to like it. If you like all of these materials together, they're the right choices.

Good luck!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Love the slab, I thought perhaps there was enough beige in it to work. I don't want to steer you wrong, though, because my monitor could be fooling me.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

On my computer, the right side of the slab looks like it has more beige in it. If you look at just the right side, it looks like it would go. The left looks like cooler gray. May_flowers is right about the undertones. If the counter reads too cool, it won't work in total. But you are a better judge there IRL than I am here on the computer.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

don't care for white ice...

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I LOVE that stone! It goes great with the cabinets too. If the tile works in person, it will be lovely. If not, I'd be inclined to keep the granite and switch out the tile.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We had a house for 13 years and we redid the whole kitchen in it 9 years ago. Now we have sold that house it sold in two weeks which surprised us giving what the market was here. So in with daughter and son in-law and grand-babies we move. It has been fun:) Hubby and I both loved from get go the neighborhood we are moving to. Back then it was just getting started and was so new and well you know how concepts sometimes turn out so we redid kitchen and fireplace and decided to stay put. Well so many people we know have moved there and love that neighborhood. So do we . It has walking trails and bike paths , parks, a dog park, club house , pools , fitness center and a rustic area that is so nice down by the ocean bayside. Oh and they are 20 minutes to the beach. Plus plus. So we decided to move there. Well the cost of the custom homes were just way to much we said no way We live near Destin Florida a resort area of NW Florida. . A lot of people we know were going with and were happy with the two tract builders there so we decided to go that route. As you know there is only so much you can get . I hated all their granite so I told them do laminate I shall rip it out and do granite of my own. The cab sample I saw was not lighter but looked a bit richer maybe once put in were browner I think. I still love the cabs though.. Also the floor I picked looks way different from the sample I picked from I thought they had done the wrong one. Checked boxes and notes on contract says it is right. I got to see the floor also in full down in a house they were working on so I knew I liked it. I guess its all in dye lots that the color changed on me. :( I was excited at least to see that had some porcelain choices . The granite I would say is a more blue gray not a steel gray but for sure a light lovely blue tone . The right side of it does look like a great match for the floor. I am going in a few days and ask to see all three slabs. They are bookmatched from the same cutting of stone . So they should look nice as far as being alike. I also am going to see if I can get the granite out more in the light away from those awful lights they have in their warehouse. This is such a tough thing as I know its backwards. I would of picked counter first then cabs and then searched high and low for the floor. Its is not to be though: (

• dan1888
    10 years ago

I'm not seing the stone tones with both the cabinet finish and the floor tile color on my computer(which is calibrated somewhat) It can be challenging, maybe too challenging to mix warm wood with cool tone counters.

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Really herbflower? And that helps how?

I'm afraid I agree that it does clash with the floor. Both are pretty but they don't seem to go together.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Even if you can convince yourself that they sort of match, it really won't all come together. You're combining two very large parallel planes of similar materials, separated by a few feet of cabinetry. Your eye constantly shifts from one to the other, so you want to put them together like they were made for each other.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Herbflavor's post helps in conjunction with the detailed responses she's given in the OP's two or three previous threads.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 22:31

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Sorry but I see dark brown cabs, tan tile and white/gray granite...I think you need to find a counter material that is predominately tan like your floor...otherwise it will look off.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I agree, you need to look at warmer stones. The counter needs to connect on some level with the other elements in the kitchen.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

If you want to stay with light counters, have you come across anything like Vyara Gold, Madura Gold, Copper Canyon, Yellow River, or Colonial Cream? What about Crema Bordeaux or Typhoon Bordeaux, although they may be more expensive. Those are some that I remember were on the warmer side, and they looked good with stained wood. I realize you aren't considering dark granite, but something like Verde Butterfly would be rich and elegant with your tile and cabs. Even though a warmer beige slab may be better, you don't want granite that looks too much like the floor. You need some contrast.

To be honest, if I had the White Ice and your cabs, I'd probably do a dark gray tile floor. So that tells me that the tan tile - although it is pretty tile - isn't a match made in heaven for the White Ice. I think you need to find a slab that goes so well with the tan floor that it looks as though you picked the counters first.

OTOH, even if everyone on GW vetoes this slab, hiring a decorator to help with this choice might be your best bet. Only someone on the spot can see what you have to choose from.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

According to my computer screen color image, the slab appears to be in a complete different color temperature, like one of those elementary school tests..."which of these three don't belong with the other two?" Maybe in person it is not so drastic?

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 9:10

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My next step will be to get a decorator for help in seeing if she thinks it goes well. If she thinks it does not then I think looking in to Cambria or other quartz might be the way to go . I have not found any ivory granites around here at all . Now the decorator at a kitchen and bath shop thought the Sienna cream I have under my other post was okay together. This is just so hard.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Even though there's some tan in the stone up close, it appears very faint and scattered. Overall, when you get a large slab in there, I think it will probably read cool overall, just as we are seeing here.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all I hired a decorator to go with me to see the White Ice. They had brought it out of the lights inside to the outside and the minute I saw it I knew it was not right . I waited for her to look at it and she said well I do not love it lol. I said yeps I feel that way too seeing it again in better light. They are bringing down one from Atlanta a stone called Artus. I had never heard of it. They had one slab of it but I need three. She said it would go well and I liked it. ... Ginny I saw Venus Butterfly online I really like that at least in pictures on line. I am going to see if they can get any of it down here . There is one I saw tonight when I got home on the suppliers website in Atlanta called Venetian Beige. Looks pretty so going to call them tomorrow ask could they bring it down too. Thanks for all the input. Its such a hard thing for me to let go of what colors I really like since the flooring did not turn out as I had hoped . Let go I will as I want the house to look nice and not have a mistake I will be crying over later.

• Caya26
    10 years ago

Glad you hired the decorator sarina. I too felt the White Ice was too cool/greyish to go with your warm beigey floor. Don't worry, you will find something. Good idea to have them bring down the Venetian Beige too. And why don't you call them tomorrow and ask if they have any others slabs with a warm beigey/cream/ivory tone - they're sending down slabs anyways, what's a few more? I assume you will have the decorator look at the new slabs too,.

It is very difficult, but don't settle. Sometimes you end up with something completely different than what you had originally planned. My DH and I went to 4 different slab suppliers and changed our whole idea - we had originally wanted a whiteish background with taupe/ivory and a bit of grey or black running through it. Guess what - we ended up with Desert green granite - we have soft green walls, and dark khakiish green leather seat covers on our dark grey wrought iron kitchen chairs. The Desert Green granite just tied it all together, looks amazing against my honey coloured shaker maple cabinets. We got a soft green glass textured BS with ivory grout - my floor is a floating floor of Pergo tiles in ivory/taupe, a bit of grey/ a bit of the honey colour of the cabinets. Everyone who comes into my kitchen loves it.

• kylady7
    10 years ago

Hi Caya26
    Your kitchen sounds lovely....Any pics?
    Wanted to ask How you like the floating floor? The colors sounds so pretty.
    I have so much back pain..have had two major surgeries..and after being in daughters kitchen with wood floors several hours at a time...decided I didn't want wood in mine....I do think it is beautiful and for looks would have probably been better to have done the wood since it is being put in my den....and is also in the DR on the other side of the kitchen....but fell in love with a floating floor tile pattern of light and dark chocolates and some dark creams...and though that it would go well with my Cream colored cabinets...sure hope I made the right choice. I know it isn't the popular choice since wood floors are almost in every kitchen reveal we look at...and all look so warm and inviting.
    I was told since it was 10mm laminate that it would be comfortable to stand on for periods of time....
    Do you like your pergo floor and is it comfortable?

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I will keep the decorator on board for sure :) Your kitchen sounds very nice , pics please:)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

In one of your other threads, someone posted Colonial Cream. I was interested in that for my kitchen but my fabricator didn't carry it. It appears to have a true cream background with some gold.

Be careful about going too gold. I think the look of stained cabinets and gold granite was popular in the 90s, and to my eyes it's too much warmth.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

In one of your other threads, someone posted Colonial Cream. I was interested in that for my kitchen but my fabricator didn't carry it. It appears to have a true cream background with some gold.

Be careful about going too gold. I think the look of stained cabinets and gold granite was popular in the 90s, and to my eyes it's too much warmth.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I could never go real gold as I am just not super fond of it . I see it in other kitchens and I like it but on a daily basis for myself would not like it. I have been looking online a lot lately at kitchens with Ceaserstone Dreamy Marfil. I also like in pictures at least Silestone Quasar. It is listed under their brown hues but appears to maybe have gray in it too. Another think Silestone builds in a antibacterial stuff Microban not sure I would like that in my counter. It is basically a pesticide from what I hear but have to look more in to that. I saw Venetian Beige online not sure what it looks like in person. I am glad I have a lot of time to make this choice not like I will not have counters :)

• Caya26
    10 years ago

calyle7 - I LOVE my floating floor. I've had it for 12 years, it's still in amazing shape - looks great, is a breeze to clean and is always soft and warm to walk on. You drop a glass or plate on it, they don't break. Anyone with back issues should consider this type of floor.
    I've never been the kind to "follow the leader" - I have hardwood on the rest of my main floor, never considered putting it in my kitchen - I'm too sloppy a cook, spill too much, would worry about water damage and most of all - I use my kitchen a lot, so I'm standing in there for many hours during the day and night - the Pergo tiles are amazing. And there are so many beautiful variations of floating floors now, even more than I had to choose from 12 years ago when we built this house.

We just did a mini-reno here - kept my maple shaker cabinets and my floor - replaced my appliances, sink and faucet, got a new granite counter top, and new glass tile backsplash. Thrilled with the results. Totally updated my transitional kitchen.

I will try to post pics in the next few days.

• kylady7
    10 years ago

Great...Looking forward to seeing the pics
    I feel I have made the right choice for me ...going with the floating floor.....so many have asked me if I was putting in hardwood since it is so popular now...but felt I had to do what would suit our family best....A messy husband that is always spilling his coffee and other things...and me with back problems..the softer floor that is easy to clean and easier on the back sounds ideal!