Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown_remodel

Lighting

chitown_remodel
12 years ago

What size recessed lights do you typically put in a kitchen?
My GC wants to use 6 inch cans but I was thinking 4 inch cans.
Also, we want to install under cabinet lighting. Do you use fluorescent or LED? I am pretty sure I don't want puck lights. I want the entire length under the cabinet illuminated.
Can anyone recommend anything?
Any other advice on lighting up a kitchen?
Thanks!

Comments (15)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I put in 5"s in most typical ceiling heights. Under cabinet I did LED on a dimmer.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

re: UCL's, ours is Kichler Xenon Linear Lighting (tracks/wires with clamp on lights/bulbholders. When we reno'd our kitchen 4 1/2 yrs ago, LED's weren't really being used much yet.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Might actually be Xenon, too come to think of it. In any case I like the dimming capabilities of it and have done dimmable systems on a couple of projects.

• willtv
    12 years ago

It depends on a few factors. How high are your ceilings? Will you be using only recessed cans or will you also install pendants or other surface mount fixures?
    We installed 3 inch cans but we have low (7 1/2') ceilings.
    Here's a shot.

For the UC's we used Emeralight LED strips. They make them in 1 inch increments so they'll fit under any cabinet.

You should also post this in the lighting forum.
    The folks over there are vary knowledgeable and helpful.

• Tim
    12 years ago

I'm liking our 4" lights installed in our 9 foot ceilings. I've put 23 of them on my main floor/kitchen at this point.

Contraste Lighting CA2000D retrofit cans with T2000 trims (nice Made in Canada lights - not Chinese junk from Home Depot - buy your lighting from an electrical supply place).

Our under/in cabinet lighting is dimmable LED pucks - 1.75" holes. I also used them above the window and sink. Got them through LED Lighting Canada in Edmonton for $24 each I think. Less than many places. Don't get suckered into $100 LED pucks.

LED was a must in my mind given the heat of Xenon and I didn't want florescent.

• chitown_remodel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have 8 ft ceilings. I am only going to have the recessed lights and the under cabinet lighting (no pendants or chandeliers or anything) Lighting is way more important than I first thought. willtv and TorontoTim your kitchens are just beautiful and I think your lighting really showcases your space. I am liking the 3 and 4 inch cans too..... Thank you for your help

• Jakzof3
    12 years ago

We also have eight ft. ceilings We used 6 inch cans above the center of all cabinets and above the pantry and fridge...love them and they do provide the needed light in our new remodel. Over the island...4 inch cans on each corner of the island and have not put in the pendants yet. We plan on using two pendants or one larger one with two of three together. Task lighting under all cabinets...Kichler LED...they are great. You really can't ever have too much light in the kitchen especially task lighting.

• billy_g
    12 years ago

We used Cree CR6 LED lights in the ceiling and Philips undercabinet LED lights which are line voltage dimmable - no transformer needed.

The Cree CR6 lights are fabulous and they dim way down low. We tried some Cree LR6 LED lights and they are not nearly as good as the CR6 lights even though they're more expensive. The LR6s are extremely temperamental with dimmers and they don't dim low. Our electrician spent countless hours experimenting with dimmers for the LR6 even though the dimmers were on Cree's recommended dimmer list.

The CR6 lights fit in a 6 inch can but the size is about the same as a 5" can light - just right for us. The light quality is great and what's not to like about using 12 watts compared to a 65 watt incandescent. That adds up when you have almost 20 lights!

The Philips undercabinet LED lights are great and they're designed to mount at the front of the cabinet and shine both down at the countertop and back at the backsplash.

Billy

• wpdoit
    12 years ago

Ours must be 6" can lights, and we have three Environmental Lights dimming 24" LED light bars under the right cabinet bank, and two 12" bars under the left cabinets.

• mratner
    12 years ago

We used 6" lights 3 feet away from the walls along the perimeter, but then we also installed an island light... We also put in 3" cans directly above the sinks, three of them in a row over the large sink, and one over the prep sink, controlled by a dedicated switch right by the sink - that has proved super convenient.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

A few thoughts.

The size of the cans can tend to "date" a project. Generally, smaller is trendier. But too small does not perform the same function, so be careful.

I might also add that some disdain all can lights. I once read of someone who called them "ceiling acne". That remark struck a chord with me, but I still ended up using them in many spots. Just think it through for yourself.

And whatever you do, dim away. Every single light in every room of my house is dimmable. Lighting is one of the most vital parts of a room.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

We went with 5" cans everywhere. With 9 ft ceilings on the main floor, this seems to be working fine. IMHO, 6 look a little more dated. Be sure to specify the color of the interior of the cans...We went with white.

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

I wouldn't mess around with light in a kitchen. It can be downright dangerous. You need well lit task areas. That means cans. Especially if you have normal height ceilings, it's better not to clutter things up, keep it recessed.
    No one looks good in flurorescent. They are a blight.

• littlesmokie
    12 years ago

echoing palimpsest, mtnrdredux, and brianadarnell here...

According to the kitchen designer (and separate lighting designer we worked with,) 5" were recommended for general kitchen lighting. (4" is more directed/task lighting.)

Apologies to those who have them (and we had them, too!) I've heard 6" cans referred to as "cheap/builder grade" (or "dated" as above posters noted) by these same individuals.

We used 5" cans throughout the kitchen + 4" cans just above the island. (And I really went back and forth about the decision whether to use all 5", or a combo of two. I think I should have done all 5")

I hate, hate, hate recessed lighting (We have an old house, so I have a knee-jerk, "ack it's too modern!" sensibility.) Nonetheless, we got talked into cans for the kitchen (and more than I wanted!)

The first time I saw the space at night, I realized we should have used MORE cans!

You cannot have too much light. You could always put your lights on a dimmer (and/or use lower watt bulbs) if they seem too bright now, but your older eyes (or the eyes of your home's future occupants) will thank you later :)

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Based on what I learned on the Lighting Forum, I chose the Home depot version of the Cree Cr-6 LED for my recessed lights. They go in a 6" ED can, and they are self-trimming and completely dimmable, as mentioned above. They are about $50 each, I think. I love them. I love the color of the light, the dimming, and how bright they can be. My GC, who had planned to use CFL's, loved them, and told me he was going to put them in his own basement remodel instead of CFL's.

My UCL is also nice, it's Seagull Linear LED and it's dimmable. Get everything dimmable.

BTW - the Lighting Forum is really helpful. There are even people over there who will plan your lighting for free or help you calculate how many lights you need. Invaluable.