Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting options for glass cabs with wood shelves

Posted by peony4 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 15:37

Hello! I have a row of upper white cabs with glass doors and wood shelves (two 36-inch and one 18-inch, so symmetry is 5 doors). They hold white, everyday dishes and glassware, so not showcase.

Yesterday the electrician installed LED tape lights inside the front of the doors, top to bottom (as well as under counter). Looking straight on, the lighting is very nice and symmetrical, and the strips are hidden (albeit too blue, but we're addressing that).

However, standing at the sink or sitting at the peninsula, the angle is such that we can see the strip of lights going up the inside of the cabinets. I told my GC I feel like I have Xmas tree lights strung inside my beautiful white cabinets!

He came over this morning, and we discussed these options (in each one, UCL would remain):

1. Install a small piece of trim inside front of cabinets, next to tape lights, to hide them. My concern is how this will impact the light emanating inside the cabinets.

2. Remove all tape lighting inside the cabinets, and place a hidden row on top of cabinets to illuminate the approx. 8 inches from top of cabinets to ceiling.

3. Place tape lighting along top *inside* of cabinets, so only the top shelves of cabinets are lit.

If you have LED tape lights insight your glass cabinets, how did you manage to hide them from sight?

If you have glass cabinets with wood shelves, what other lighting options did you explore?

I'm not opposed to *not* having lighting inside the cabinets. But since there is already a dedicated dimmer switch for the area, I should explore options.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting options for glass cabs with wood shelves

I used LED tape lights too and just did them on the top shelf.

o

Thank you, GWlolo! Your choice is my favorite option that I have so far. I can live with just the top shelf illuminated if I don't have to look at LED lights running down the sides of my cabinets.

Does anyone else have input on hiding LED tape lights inside cabinets with glass doors and wood shelves?

o

Do you have frameless cabinets?
Here is a diagram of them on framed cabinets-Is this where you have them?
We place them in the corner behind the cabinet rail (not door) usually with a small angled strip in the corner to direct them, shorten the shelves by 1/2". Never see them. Pic is insets but note the side access glass to the dining area- lights are unseen.

For frameless you can route the sides and install a flush track with a diffuser but I wouldn't want to do that on already installed cabinets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here