Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peony4_gw

Lighting options for glass cabs with wood shelves

peony4
10 years ago

Hello! I have a row of upper white cabs with glass doors and wood shelves (two 36-inch and one 18-inch, so symmetry is 5 doors). They hold white, everyday dishes and glassware, so not showcase.

Yesterday the electrician installed LED tape lights inside the front of the doors, top to bottom (as well as under counter). Looking straight on, the lighting is very nice and symmetrical, and the strips are hidden (albeit too blue, but we're addressing that).

However, standing at the sink or sitting at the peninsula, the angle is such that we can see the strip of lights going up the inside of the cabinets. I told my GC I feel like I have Xmas tree lights strung inside my beautiful white cabinets!

He came over this morning, and we discussed these options (in each one, UCL would remain):

1. Install a small piece of trim inside front of cabinets, next to tape lights, to hide them. My concern is how this will impact the light emanating inside the cabinets.

2. Remove all tape lighting inside the cabinets, and place a hidden row on top of cabinets to illuminate the approx. 8 inches from top of cabinets to ceiling.

3. Place tape lighting along top *inside* of cabinets, so only the top shelves of cabinets are lit.

If you have LED tape lights insight your glass cabinets, how did you manage to hide them from sight?

If you have glass cabinets with wood shelves, what other lighting options did you explore?

I'm not opposed to *not* having lighting inside the cabinets. But since there is already a dedicated dimmer switch for the area, I should explore options.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (3)