Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Granite overhang/measurement questions

phiwwy
11 years ago

We templated this week, and I'm concerned about the overhang (nothing is final, they have to review something so I have time to make adjustments).

What's the overhang on the working side of your island, and/or the overhang on any cabinet runs where stools will NOT be placed?

What's the overhang over your dishwasher?

Does your dishwasher sit flush with your cabinet doors?

What is the overhang on the sitting side of your island (for those with space for a bar/counter stool or 2)?

Lastly - how much space do you have between your island and the opposite working area?

At the narrowest - mine is 36" between the range knobs and the opposite island cabinet. Since the range knobs stick out, the rest of the area is more like 38". Not that I can do anything about it - but then when you add the granite overhang, it just eats up space.

Can anyone put my mind at ease? thanks!

Comments (3)

• taggie
    11 years ago

What's the overhang on the working side of your island, and/or the overhang on any cabinet runs where stools will NOT be placed?

1-1/2" from cabinet frame; 3/4" from the door/drawer front.

What's the overhang over your dishwasher?
    Does your dishwasher sit flush with your cabinet doors?

Approx 1/2" overhang from DW ... so it does not sit perfectly flush (i'd never noticed this before).

What is the overhang on the sitting side of your island (for those with space for a bar/counter stool or 2)?

15" from the door front. In a previous kitchen we had 12" and found that to be fine also.

Lastly - how much space do you have between your island and the opposite working area? At the narrowest - mine is 36" between the range knobs and the opposite island cabinet. Since the range knobs stick out, the rest of the area is more like 38". Not that I can do anything about it - but then when you add the granite overhang, it just eats up space.

Ours is 42" counter edge to counter edge. We had our island bumped back 6" in our recent reno to give us the 42" space, but pre-reno it was 36" and that was totally fine. In fact, it felt so weird and sooooo far away when I first started using the kitchen post-reno. :) It feels perfect now, you get used to what you have. 36" felt perfect when we had it, so I'm sure you will be okay.

Can anyone put my mind at ease?

Did it work? :-)

• heidi_tapley
    11 years ago

I have 1 1/2 inch overhang from cabinet frame with a 1/2 inch overhang from drawer fronts. My dishwasher actually sticks out 1/2 past the granite edge.

On my peninsula, I have a 9 inch overhang; it is a little small but works great for my youngest son, who is the only one who eats at it.

Don't have an island, so I can't help you with that.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My granite overhang is 1 3/4 inches from the cabinet fronts and 3/4 from the drawer and door fronts. My dishwasher is flush with the adjacent cabinets so the overhang there is also 3/4.
    My island contains my one and only sink and the sink side of it is 50 inches (counter to counter) from the opposing counter. I made that aisle a little wider because my cooktop is almost directly across from the sink. That spacing gives us enough room to have someone at the cooktop while someone else is at the sink. The side of my island that is across from my refrigerator is 42 inches from the fridge door to the countertop.
    My island is shaped somewhat like a grand piano and I do have a section on the conclaved curved part that overhangs 12 inches. We could tuck a saddle type stool under there but choose not too because we have a small sitting area with more comfortable chairs just beyond the island.