Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

HELP -my soapstone "etched"

muskokascp
10 years ago

I say "etched" because that is what it looks like, even though I know soapstone does not etch. I am not sure what happened and not sure exactly how to fix it.

About 5 weeks ago a funny blotch showed up on the stone that was dull and easily seen especially when the light hit it just the right way - looks just like an etch on marble. The blotch was irregular and suggestive of a liquid of some sort. I tried cleaning it with soap and water - no luck.

Last weekend more of these areas showed up on the island. I can only narrow it down to I think either Mr Clean or Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I have not really used these products much but I did use the Magic eraser last Sat while I was washing walls. I used the Magic eraser on one of the areas thinking maybe it would remove whatever the product was that was marring my beautiful island. Instead I have a circular area that is now dull and looks similar, although not exactly the same as the other areas.

I did not oil my soapstone with mineral oil when it was installed because the supplier uses the wax provided by The Greenmountain soapstone company. So I thought maybe the cleaner just removed the wax and it needed to be reapplied. Tried that - no luck. Then I got out the mineral oil and used that -waited 36 hours before removing the excess. The marks are still visible.

Short of resanding the island , I don't quite know what to do and how to prevent it from happening again. I wish I knew for certain what caused the problem to begin with. I am quite surprised that something actually changed the soapstone to make it look etched.

Here are the pictures I took this morning - this after both the waxing and mineral oil. Does anyone have any ideas?

This is the same area further away - you can see another smaller one below it to the right and up towards the top edge of the island there are more that the light is just sort of catching.

The whole highlighted area below is not the spot I am referring too - this is a reflection from the patio door, but you can clearly see the two spots in the center of this area that are dull.

Comments (23)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Just guessing here ... perhaps it has something to do with the wax that was used by the supplier? Maybe something is affecting it in the same way that a glass of water will leave a dull white ring on waxed furniture? Have you looked at the label on the wax that was used to see if it has any useful information?

• smiling
    10 years ago

Following up on jellytoast's idea about the white ring in wax, I wonder if you tried a medium-hot iron (with a very thin cloth under it). That's what I have the very best success with when I need to get a white ring out of wood. I don't think the heat of the iron presents any danger to the soapstone, your piece of which is very lovely by the way.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'd call Green Mountain and ask them.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

The stone looks as if it has a coating on it.
    The surface appears very waxy looking or if it has been coated.
    Call up the folks who applied it and find out what they did.
    See if they can correct it.
    It is either the wax or a sealer that is etching.
    I don't think you will need to refinish the top.
    Looks like you will have to remove whatever is on the surface. If your curious try using a single edged razor blade. The straight ones . At an inconspicuous area hold the razor blade at a 45 degree angle and slide it across the surface. Just do a small area and see what comes off the surface. You can cover the bare spot with wax.
    Let us know.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wax was applied at my house by the fabricator and I applied the second coat. The stone was not sealed or coated. I thought it looked like a film of some sort too which is why I tried the Magic eraser but it just left a visible spot where I cleaned with it. Then I thought that whatever caused it just took the wax off the stone but that is not the case.

I will try Green Mountain and see what they say. I may test sand one of the spots but I'm nervous even though I know you can sand soapstone.

• sis2two
    10 years ago

Until you talk with them I wouldn't sand it.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Have you tried alcohol on it to see if it dissolves the layer of wax? I'd try that to see what happens. It wont hurt the stone.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I wouldn't sand it -- try some acetone or alcohol and see if it dissolves into a larger 'etched' patch, in which case you can be sure it's the wax coating that is being affected by water or heat or whatever. Then you'd just use the same substance to clean all the wax off.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

I think it is just too much wax-you can try acetone or denatured alcohol but not sure it will work.
    Works better with wax residues.
    I think you will need to strip off wax and reapply a more friendly coating
    There is no need to sand your stone-.
    Was there an issue that made you apply a second coat of wax?

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent an email to Green Mountain Soapstone but have not heard from them.

I don't have alcohol in the house but tried acetone just before I left for work this morning. I will check out the spot when I get home.

srosen - how can it be too much wax? The stone has only had 2 applications as per Green Mountains instructions and the last application was January 2012. My thought was something removed the wax which is why I tried a small bit on the spot.

So the thought is that perhaps something reacted with the wax and left this residue? This is the enhancer -

So what would I use on the stone to fully remove the wax ?

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think the acetone would work. I've used acetone on my counters before. Heck it takes off nail polish :)

I don't use anything on my stone because I was unhappy with the water marks that would be left after putting wet things on the counter. I really prefer the naked look anyway.

• kariwb
    10 years ago

Hello there.... Did you ever resolve this issue? I think I'm having the same problem :(

• rebecca1118
    10 years ago

having the same issues too. was told to acetone the counters & re-oil. it was better but still there. I have asked teixeira to take a look next time they are in my area. Have you resolved this?

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Wax is lifted by moisture. It's a poor choice for almost any type of coating, from furniture to soapstone. It's an especially poor choice for an often used countertop.

In addition, many granite fabricators don't understand soapstone. They finish it to too high of a sheen, and that exacerbates the water ring and moisture "damage" issue. The cure is to finish to a much lower sheen, with a coarser grit of sandpaper.

• User
    10 years ago

You can always have all oil and/or wax removed and apply a color enhancing sealant to get the darker look. While soapstone does not need to be sealed, enhancing sealants are a great option for getting the dark look without the maintenance and sealed soapstone does not get water marks or light spots.

• tinker1121
    10 years ago

I never use those Magic Erasers. Bought them once and they marred my wall paint and also my laminate counters when trying to removed marks. '
    They are magic, as they remove things, but too harsh and they do it by removed part of whatever finish it is you use them on.

• Alex Wood
    8 years ago

Any resolution on this question? I'm having the same issue with my soapstone. Thanks!

• gbs
    8 years ago

My soapstone looks a lot like yours…and I have the exact same problem. I originally used wax and I'm sure that exacerbated the issues I have with glass rings. But some of the larger dull areas like yours appeared first after my granddaughter painted on several pieces of construction paper then set them all across my counter to dry. When she picked them up, I had TONS of dull spots all across my counter from the paint that had soaked through. We get a lot of light and it looks horrible. Between that and all the water rings around my clean-up sink, the counter looks terrible. Not to mention all the little pitting from people scraping things across it or opening wine bottles on the counter and not on the cutting boards that I have there all the time (grrrrrr).

I have quit waxing and now before we have company I go over it with some grape seed oil that was recommended by someone. But the truth is, it never looks good and it really upsets me every time I look at it. I keep hoping it will get better with age, but it doesn't. I would LOVE to have an answer to this.

• quadesl
    8 years ago

Do you have Green Mountain soapstone or are you just using their wax?

• gbs
    8 years ago

I have a soapstone called "Valentino," which appears to be very soft. I have been using Dorado Dry Wax.

• katycarterthomas
    6 years ago

Magic Erasers are actually a very low grit sandpaper...probably just sanded a spot...

• PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    6 years ago

Don't try anything further on your own. Soapstone is a soft material and you need to know what type of wax was applied and find out if they'd like to strip and re-seal the surface.