Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Makin' Do and Gettin' Through

laughablemoments
9 years ago

We sold our home and moved into our "new" old house about a month ago. This week we got some lights into the kitchen. Yay! They are plugged in on either side of the stove, LOL.

We were able to gut the kitchen before we moved in, but with all of the other projects we had going on, we weren't able to finish it before the "big day" (it took weeks to move, actually.)

At the request of Lavender Lass, here is our woodsy-campy intermediate kitchen. I'm very thankful for the tall pine cupboards we moved from our previous home that my DH made, and for the Good Will nine drawer dresser with a laminate top that I had scooped up for our entryway (we are a family of 9.) to hold everyone's winter gear and personal stuff for heading out the door. It makes a great island storage piece. I'm even thankful for the bed risers that are holding up a drop leaf table, as they work together as a makeshift island and a place to tuck our bar stools.

I'm looking forward to insulation, more wiring, drywall, paint, lighting, and heat! We have 3 year old maple cabinets from Craigslist waiting in the wings (stacked in the family room) for their installation day.

Here goes the present state of affairs:

Comments (27)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and I can't forget my coat-hooks that have become a pot rack! : )

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This side of the room is our current black hole. Two of the old uppers are stacked to make a pantry cabinet, and some open shelves hold another portion of the food items. I was happy to be able to fit these pieces under the slope of the stairs.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

WOW...I think that is the best temporary kitchen I've ever seen!!!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I agree!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I like your towel bars below the sink...you'll probably do something just like it when you put in doors, so handy!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love the lamps! I remember someone else here who had a lamp on the counter (not for lack of lighting, though) and I thought it was a great idea :)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I like it more than some of the "afters" I've seen...;)

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

"I like it more than some of the "afters" I've seen...;)"

LOL

Looks great!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Now, that is an unfitted kitchen!

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Perfect russtic living. Been there, done that.

• Cindy103d
    9 years ago

Oh, been there too. Our best "rustic" was when we had the washer sitting next to a utility tub that was in use as our kitchen sink. The washer was filled by slinging the water hose from the sink into the washer. It was essential to time the filling with an audible timer because a lapse of attention would lead to an overfill. Then close the lid and let it agitate. It would discharge through a tube tied into the back of the utillity sink with twine. Rustic living at its finest.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks dcward89 and Mags438. You know, it functions really well, believe it or not. Even in this state, it's a breeze to work in. And if there's a breeze outside...I get to work in it! ; )

Bpathome, I like the towels there, too. But I don't think I'd like them getting in the way of the drawers that are going under there. : ( (It's so much easier when it's all open! Too bad a bin full of junk under the sink isn't more attractive. : P)

Errant, I agree about lamps in a kitchen. They make it feel homier. I wonder if I'll have a spot for them when it's all said and done. They're especially soft and cozy at night, so much gentler than overhead lighting.

Thanks, Bellsmom. I'm kind of enjoying the rusticity of it myself. Rather than use nails, I drywall screwed most things in place. ; ) It was fun to hang things in here myself and know that my DH wouldn't give a rip. Normally he's super cautious about putting holes in drywall. I got to go at the walls with my screw gun with gleeful abandon. Ha! My biggest "project" was installing the board where I hung our brooms and mops. Each one has it's own drywall screw. Oh and in the back you can see my "fancy" shoe shelves. Out of desperation, I stood some concrete pavers on end and stacked shelves between them. No more shoe piles. Phew.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ctycdm and Swentastic, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read your comments. My screen would have gotten wet when I snorted. :-)

blfenton, "unfitted" was the impetus for this temporary setup. I was ready to cry when I pictured moving in without a working kitchen. Then I remembered Johnny Grey's unfitted kitchen designs which I admired a few years ago. I checked his books out of the library again, googled unfitted designs, took a deep breath and realized, "ok, we can do this."

Oldfixer, it really helps to know that folks have done this before. People live with a whole lot less than what we have here. We have much for which to be grateful.

Oh, Cindy103d, that sounds challenging. I'd probably would have had a few floods in your temp. kitchen setup! We used our laundry room as a temporary kitchen a few houses ago. I remember making bread on top of the front-load washer. ; ) Fortunately, the washer did not drain into the sink, though.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

I like it! Do you have to put in a new kitchen? (just kidding!)

Love the shoe shelves - they remind me of my childhood. I remember when I was growing up money was really tight (6 kids, stay-at-home mom) - I wanted book shelves but we couldn't afford them. So, I found leftover bricks and some boards and made my own bookshelves - I still remember them fondly!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Best post ever to validate that layout is more important than how it looks!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Not that it looks bad...didn't mean any offense!

Meant that so many people plan their remodel based on how they want the kitchen to look, and don't spend much time considering how it functions.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I wish I could have done that before ordering my cabinets. It was such a great experience to have the empty room and as much as I love my new kitchen, once I saw it empty I could envision some things differently.

With as truly lovely and homey as this is, I can't wait to see what your real kitchen will look like. Kudos.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

That is probably the nicest, homey-est temporary space I have ever seen. You could make a cave look homey based on what I see. Fantastic!!! Hang in there--keep working on functionality, and keep your "laughable" humor.

My last rental had no hot water in the kitchen....I had to go get it from the bathroom (after waiting minutes and wasting water). We lived there almost a year. It's amazing what you can live through. Yet, now the small little screw caps on my rangehood aren't perfect and it bugs me...haha.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting pictures! It looks amazing and really is a wonderful unfitted kitchen. While I can see why you want to get it 'finished' as some point...this is really fun :)

Have a great time with the project and remember to post many, many pictures! LOL

• romy718
    9 years ago

Don't let DH read all these posts or he might not think any more renovating is needed. Your previous home reno turned out great. Looking forward to this one.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Me, too. I love it. It is homey, real, comfy. I am proud of my fellow otk ers.. We know a quality kitchen when we see it. What surface do you use for most of the prep? My mother cooked with only the kitchen table as counter space. My hero.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

My parents had a camp when I was growing up, and while ours was MUCH smaller, this reminds me of the kitchen. We had a big Princess Atlantic stove for both cooking and heat. The only running water was in the well house outside and we hauled it in in big pails, and washed our faces from a plastic tub with water heated from the stove, using a small mirror propped in the window. We had a counter and big old enamel sink, but no running water in the camp.

It was total bliss, and this brings back wonderful memories of it. Sigh... I'd enjoy spending time in yours as much as the one I'm giving the facelift to.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I love it. You've created a wonderful space outta nuttin'. Pure genius!

I can't imagine moving with that many kids and having energy and sanity left to plan out such a great temporary space. And all the help you give others here at GW to boot. I nominate you for Saint Laughable.

• rhome410
    9 years ago

I love the cast iron pans on coat hooks! Good idea!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Are those exterior walls without insulation we're seeing? Please remind me where you are - NH? - I'm cold just thinking about how you're faring in this current cold spell.

Other than that - it really looks terrific. What a great attitude you have; you make everything look and sound like fun. I'll very much look forward to seeing your new renovation.

firsthouse_mp - Waving! Speaking of reveals...did I miss yours?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all of your endearing and encouraging comments everyone. It's been a while since I looked at this thread. Your comments certainly made DH smile, too.

My3dogs, come on over and I'll make you some tea. Remember to bring a lap blanket since it's pretty cold right now! : ) We also did some rustic camp stays growing up, and you're right, they are a treasure trove of good memories.

Aw, thanks Funkycamper, your comment made my day. If any good comes from my time here, may all the glory be given to Jesus.

Thanks, Rhome410. I am sold on hanging cast iron cookware. If it's hanging, we use it. I'm still trying to decide where it will hang in the "final" kitchen.

Well, the window wall is an exterior wall, Oldbat2be. DH got the new window in since I took this picture, so it's not quite as drafty now. The wall behind the stove backs up to a family room addition that was put on in the 70's. I'd like to say that that is keeping us warmer, but that family room is like an i.c.e b.o.x! It's on our list of things to fix before next winter rolls around.

We're in the northeast, so yes, we're pretty chilly right now! It's beautiful outside our windows, but oh is it ccccccooooooollld. Maybe we should rephrase it as "snuggly?"