Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ikea wood counters

Posted by gmp3 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 15:29

I am renovating my laundry room and would like to have a wood counters similar to the flooring in the adjacent kitchen and hall as pictured. Is it it possible to stain Ikea wood counters? We will treat them with a water proof finish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ikea wood counters

Yes, but the solid oak has been discontinued and has been replaced with another option called Akerby.

Beech and birch are still available, but I think that they tend to blotch when staining.

Lumber Liquidators offers other species.

o

>Beech and birch are still available, but I think that they tend to blotch when staining.

Using a conditioner before staining is supposed to help wit that. However, getting hold of any ikea BB right now is difficult.

o

Of course we have put off this minor update for about a year....just in time for Ikea to discontinue solid oak and run out of the others! Of course, LL's counters are nicer but pricier, I only need 61".

Thanks!

o

Beech stains nicely, if you use a pre-stain conditioner, and has a nice neutral brown tone unstained.

If you are close to them, Perfect Plank sells alder and some sort of tropical wood that looks like mahogany. Alder stains very easily because it's a light brown with no strong undertones. perfectplank.com

If all you need is 5 feet ... check thrift stores for those old oak dining tables. refinish the top

o

Lazy you are brilliant!

We are going to IKEA today, the website indicates they should have counters available, but the oak dining table will be option #2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here