Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Drawer/Door Pulls/Knobs - Yay or Nay

I have a very narrow and short galley kitchen. Replacing all appliances to stainless (even though I prefer white I was outvoted). My cabinet drawers and doors do not currently have pull/knobs. We have had discussions about whether to put them in or not. My thoughts are not to install. There are 32 doors and 16 drawers. I am afraid that all of the additional stainless pulls/knobs would be overload.

What do you all think, please.

Comments (9)

• mallorygins
    9 years ago

I personally would install knobs/pulls. It adds a touch of detail and it also keeps the cabinets clean from dirt/grime. Can you post a picture of your kitchen?

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

Why would the pulls/knobs have to match the appliances? I hadn't heard that. We have stainless appliances/sink/faucet, and ORB knobs that work well with the cabinets/countertop, and floor. The kitchen police have not (yet?) arrested us!

• suburbanjuls
    9 years ago

Another vote for knobs and pulls. I think it helps make the kitchen look complete and you can also use it to add to the decor. I wouldn't worry about a busy look, you can choose some sleek/minimal handles if you don't want them to be a focus.

And, yeah the cabinets will get dirty and the finish will wear much quicker in those areas if you don't.

• Cindy103d
    9 years ago

Another vote for knobs/pulls. I've had kitchens both ways and the one without required much more cleaning and looked worn faster.

• annac54
    9 years ago

The cabinet hardware doesn't have to match the stainless. What style is your kitchen? A picture would help with suggestions. If you use knobs on the cabinet doors, it should not look like metal overload. Depending on the style, even pulls on the doors may be fine too.

We have a traditional kitchen with stainless appliances. I used antique nickel hardware. It's still in the silvery color, but muted, and the shape is not sleek, so doesn't look anything like the appliances.

This is the first kitchen I've ever had with cabinet hardware. We've always had finger-pull cabinets before, and I won't ever have them again if I can help it. I love the hardware. It's so much easier to use than grabbing the cabinet door/drawer.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gladys, that is just my personal opinion; don't want white, wood, porcelain, etc., so I just immediately thought stainless.

Anna, I had not even thought of nickel.

I will try to get some pictures after the rest of the appliances are installed this coming Wednesday. I am so excited.

Thanks to all of you. I will look to see what I can find that is minimal.

Which brings up another question, what are some good sources, please.

This post was edited by walnutcreek on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 15:03

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

i have espresso cabs and used ORB knobs and pulls. i did not want the knobs/pulls to be a focus at all. they just blend and have a hint of copper which i love....

you can make them "disappear" into the cabs if u want.

you don't have to have them match with ur SS appliances.

as to your original question....yes, do the knobs and pulls, will keep your door/drawers much cleaner...

Good Luck!!!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule for drawers and drawer pulls, but is there a ratio for the size of the knobs for doors?

• lam702
    9 years ago

Yes, knobs or pulls! Just think of the cleaning of the doors you'll have to do without knobs/pulls. Ugh, sticky, grimy doors, especially if there are kids, why create more work! Besides, you can keep the knobs/pulls simple, they don't have to take center stage. There are unlimited choices in style and finish, you are not limited by the SS sink or appliances.