Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Show me your pull-out cutting boards, pls

lisa_a
9 years ago

DH and DS2 were horrified :) when I first suggested that we would not have a pull-out cutting board in our new kitchen. DH has been so great about going along with all my other crazy kitchen ideas, making very few requests on this or on any other matter, that when he does voice a preference, I try as hard as possible to honor it.

So, I amended our kitchen plan to include a pull-out cutting board. Not really a big deal, IMO, although I do wish I could get them to scrub it off more regularly.

Anyhoo, our cab designer suggested a cutting board designed like this:

Traditional Kitchen by Howard Lake Cabinets & Cabinetry Dura Supreme Cabinetry

If I understand its function correctly, when you pull the drawer out, the cutting board comes out with it and to access drawer items, you have to push the cutting board back. It is removable for washing - that is a definite must for me. I think if we store seldom used items in that drawer, it won't be a big deal that we have to move the cutting board back to get to them. Our KD said that this type of cutting board is very stable because it's resting on the drawer.

The other option we could do is a split drawer face with a knob for the cutting board, meaning that the cutting board and the drawer operate individually. Like this.

Now you see it

Modern Kitchen by Los Angeles Design-Build Firms KellyBaron

Now you don't

Modern Kitchen by Los Angeles Design-Build Firms KellyBaron

But as I look at our 20 yr old cutting board with its very worn cab face from all the scrubbing, I wonder if we should just forgo the matching cab face and have the cutting board look like a cutting board, like this one:

Rustic Kitchen by Gridley Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Kitchen & Bath Trends of Kansas, LLC

How cute is this cutting board?

Traditional Kitchen

Please show me your pull-out cutting boards and share with me your decision process behind choosing the one you did. Would you make the same decision? If not, what would you do differently?

TIA!

Comments (26)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That last one you posted is my cutting board :) I was going to post that picture but you beat me to it. It also has a hole when you pull out that is over the trash bin so you can throw your scraps directly away by sweeping them into the hole. I love it:

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

beagles, I wish I had a cutting board over the trash, like yours! I would, if I had thought of it.

Here's mine:

My Mom's house had a pull-out cutting board, and we used it all the time. When closed, ours is even with the edge of the counter, and it sticks out enough past the drawer front that it is very easy to use.

• romy718
    9 years ago

This is mine - suggested by KD & seemed like a good idea. I'm not used to having one so I forget to use it. Also, I like my cutting board at counter height even thought it's only a couple of inches lower. I suppose it will come in handy if we multiple cooks & need another work surface. When it is closed, it looks like the drawer to the right. If I had a do over, I'd do an additional drawer & no cutting board.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Mine is like the first pic you showed. The drawer opens and the board stays in. When you want the board, you reach under it and pull it out.

Honestly, I don't really like it. In our old kitchen it was like annkh's. That was much preferable to me. Also, I've had them on the end of a cab run and in the middle - I prefer end of run.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too funny, beagles, I had no idea that I was posting a pic of your kitchen. If it had shown a better view of your stunning granite, I would have known right away.

How do you pull it out? I don't see any finger grooves or a knob. Slick idea about adding a hole for waste. I wouldn't want to do that, though. I have a kitchen compost bin for veg/fruit waste and I have enough trouble reminding DH and DS2 to put scraps in it and not down the disposal. Need to keep feeding my worms so that they create compost gold for my garden. :)

Thanks, annkh, for posting your cutting board. I know you've shown it before but I'm glad you posted again. Could you also post a photo of it closed, please? Thanks!

What a great idea, romy718, to hide the cutting board behind a false drawer front. But I can see how it's not ideal for you since you're not used to using one. I find the pull-out cutting board a good height for me but I'm short. That said, DS2 is nearly 6' and he really likes using it.

It's kind of funny how adamant DH is about having a pull-out cutting board in our new kitchen. "I've never lived in a house without a pull-out cutting board," he declared. I haven't reminded him yet that that's not true. We didn't have one in our first house. It had so few cabinets (stored pantry goods in the coat closet under the stairs), there wasn't any place to put one. I do find having one handy, though, so I'll figure out the best way to add one.

Keep the photos coming, please! Thanks, everyone!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My DH is 6'4", and he uses ours every day.

Here it is closed:

• romy718
    9 years ago

Funny thing is that it didn't even occur to me that it was shorter than my countertop cutting board until I pulled it out to take a picture of it. Obviously, I haven't used it. Thanks for reminding me that it exists. I'll give it a chance.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, annkh! I see now how easily it is to access the finger ridge underneath the board.

Glad to know this discussion is helping you, too, romy!

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Had one in our old kitchen and didn't use it often even though I had almost no counter space - I didn't use it mainly because I found it too large (about 27" across...to me, about 18"-ish would have been ideal) - so it was difficult for me to take it in and out when it needed washed. But, if it would have been a better size for me, I would have used it more. I just didn't bother in the new kitchen because there was no area that it made sense to place it. If it would have had a drawer bank that was 18-ish inches and near enough to the sink, I may have put one in again.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

Ours is just grabbed from the sides and pulls forward. It locks in place then, and there are two levers you push up to push it back. The whole thing can be lifted off its track and removed in order to thoroughly clean.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

daisychain01, I missed your post earlier. I'm sorry you're not happy with your cutting board but I am glad that you posted that the board doesn't come out automatically with the drawer. That eliminates one concern I had about this set-up.

Do you not like it because it's a two-step motion to use - pull out drawer, then pull out cutting board? Or is there another reason.

btw, ours will be at the end of a cab run on our island.

Thanks for the props, cal_quail! I am primarily including one for DH and DS2 but I think I'll be glad to have one as well.

Wow, 27" wide is huge, andreak100! Our current board is 20 1/4" wide and our new one will be about the same or perhaps a tad narrower so I think we're good.

Thanks, beagles, for explaining how it works, especially for explaining how you pull it out to clean. Being able to do that is an absolute must for me.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

We had the first style, back in the 70's. The cutting board came out along with the drawer. It was no big deal pushing it back, when it wasn't needed, and added a lot of stability.

I live in an older apartment building and pull-out cutting boards are common. I love it. I don't use it for cutting, but it's invaluable as an extra spot to put hot pots off the stove, or plates while dishing up food. It's above the cupboard right next to the stove.

This post was edited by jasdip on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 16:44

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

If we redo our kitchen, it will have a cutting board with a hole over a compost bucket. I am leaning towards a board incorporated into the counter, but have not excluded a pull out type.

The one that is over another drawer, in my house, would cause all kinds of crumbs/drips in the drawer below..icky.

Good luck.

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

The pullout cutting board in my mom's house is 60 yrs old. She still uses it. It looks like annkh's above - she uses it, pulls it out and washes/dries it, and then puts it back in it's hiding place above the top drawer. We all use it when we are there. I can't tell you how many times I've wished we had remembered to put one in our current kitchen...we will have one in our next kitchen. I would not want one that opens with a drawer. Over a compost bucket? Hmmm maybe. IMHO I think solo is better then you can just take it out and use it, wash/dry it and put it away.

• User
    9 years ago

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/products/classic-white-and-blue-kitchen-from-dynasty-omega-prvw-vr~11300110)

[Transitional Kitchen Cabinets[(https://www.houzz.com/products/transitional-kitchen-cabinetry-prbr1-br~t_437~s_2112) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

Here's the one we put in our Dynasty kitchen. It's in a 30" cabinet, so it's pretty good sized. When the first summer came, it swelled up so much across the width due to the ambient humidity that several strong men couldn't slide it out. When winter came and the humidity lessened, I managed to slide it out and took it home and planed about 1/8" off of the width. It hasn't stuck since then. :)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jasdip, that's exactly what our cab designer and KD said but it's good to hear from someone who's had this set-up. Thanks.

nightowlrn, our current one is just above a drawer and AFAIK, there isn't a divider between the two of them. We haven't had an issue with crumbs in the drawer below. But good point, the first set-up could have crumbs going into the drawer from the front of the board. I'll keep that in mind when I plan what's going to go in the drawer below it.

60 yrs old? Wow, sippimom!

Thanks for the pic and the advice, , live_wire_oak! So that board is just hiding behind the drawer front but not really resting on the drawer sides, right? So you have to pull open the drawer and then the cutting board? How hard is it to pull the cutting board out to wash it in the sink? Once it was planed down, that is. :)

DH and DS2 aren't good about cleaning the board off regularly so I pull it out to scrub it down with hot soapy water regularly and if it's really bad, I'll use a mild bleach solution on it (they don't cut meat on it but they will cut fruit and bread on it). I've talked until I'm blue in the face but they haven't changed their habits and likely won't. That's one reason why I almost didn't include one in the new kitchen but then I realized that I use ours regularly and not having one would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. :)

• T
    5 years ago

If my butcher block is 1.5", how many inches should I allow for installation? Is 2.0" enough?

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    How much space you need depends on how it is fitted. Whether or not you use drawer slides, you don't want much extra space as the board then slides around. I suggest posting a new dilemma for assistance
  • T
    5 years ago

thanks! I have posted on new thread.

• Michael
    5 years ago

I'm on your side Lisa... although our current kitchen has two built-in cutting boards, there won't be any in our next home. The built-ins are too unstable, too low and too small for me. I'm a hobbyist woodworker, so I made two cutting boards which always stay on the counter (fortunately, we have a good amount of counter space)

• kazmom
    5 years ago

Ours is above the drawer, similar to what you have now. We had 2 in our old house, one beside the trash and one beside the stove, and used them all the time, even ironed on the large one! We were limited in the new kitchen because our cabinet brand only does cutting boards to a certain size cabinet, so we have one. It is above the trash but doesn’t have the hole in it. I may have to add that! Honestly we have so much counter space now we don’t think to use it as much.

i personally don’t think I would like one that pulls out with the drawer. I would be afraid of cuttings dropping in the drawer! I also didn’t want one that had a drawer front on it because I thought it would get in the way.

Here is ours.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Michael, if you're talking to me, my decision was made a looooooong time ago. This thread is over 4 years old (really wish Houzz wouldn't allow such old threads to resurface) and it's over 3 years since we finished the remodel.

FYI, we added a cutting board to the island - they won me over - but because I stalled in treating the walnut with food safe mineral oil, everyone got in to the habit of using plastic cutting boards so it's never been used. So I guess in the end, I won, lol.

No regrets. It's solid walnut, 1" thick. It slides on wood runners so it's very stable and secure. Plus it's beautiful. Maybe some day we'll use it for cheeses and breads at a party.

• HU-913261695
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry to necropost here, but my curiosity finally got the best of me and I've looked and asked everywhere else.

80 yr old house looks to have the original and badly stained lower cabinets and the cutting boards are almost certainly original as well. The one I'm asking about is shown more prominently.

What on earth was a 4" wide, 20" long pull-out cutting board used for back then??

This was a very modest home from the early 40's where large neighborhoods of these houses were built for returning servicemen and women from the war. So, no-frills housing, right?

Could this be a cheese board?

• Lyndee Lee
    4 years ago

This question was asked recently on another post. One of the likely suggested uses was a place to clamp a meat grinder or cherry pitter.

• HU-913261695
    4 years ago

Thank you, Lyndee.

It seems like they would need a wider surface for the the bowl catching the food. But if that's right, someone should have told that to whoever put all the knife cut marks in this one. lol