Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help my mom find a 40 inch range

Posted by terriks (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 15:21

My mother needs to replace this range in her 1940s kitchen.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She has found a Frigidaire, but unfortunately the smaller oven is too small even to put a dinner plate in. The small oven, which she uses all the time, has an interior width of 11 inches. I think that a retro look range would be ideal in the space.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help my mom find a 40 inch range

Lovely kitchen!

Blue 39" AGA maybe? That oven is going to be hard to replace!

o

Does she need gas or electric? Here's the AJ Madison link to both. Ilve makes one, including a small oven, but it's duel fuel.
I wonder if looking for a vintage model would make more sense. Before a kitchen reno brought a reconfiguration, I also had a 40 inch range space.

Here is a link that might be useful: aj madison

o

We currently have the Kenmore version of the 40" Frigidaire and do almost all our cooking in the small oven. It has worked very well for us and the size of the small oven has not been an issue.

o

akrogirl, that's good to know. That is one that she is looking at. Did you have to buy special cookware to fit the small oven?

o

She needs an electric range.

o

My MIL has that 40" frigidaire. She regrets the choice as the small oven is too small for anything but a loaf pan. She uses the large oven instead. She was just telling me a couple of weeks ago that she wished she had realized the size issue before she purchased it. She's not TKO so didn't think to double check measurments.

Something vintage or at least non-modern looking would be cool in that space.

o

Be still my heart. Love her kitchen!

She should try to get it repaired.

o

OMG, I use to have that very stove. I loved it with all my heart. It was my DH's grandmothers originally. I use to love to fix turkey in one side and pies in the smaller side. If I were your Mom I would get it fixed if at all possible.

o

Terriks, I already had the Pyrex glassware, 9" x 11", and some similarly sized Chantal bakeware. They fit perfectly.

o

What an adorable kitchen. Did she look into getting it repaired? Looks (and sounds) like a great stove.

o

She has had several repairmen out, and it can't be repaired. Actually, it's just one element that isn't working, but she has a home warranty and they will replace the stove with the Frigidaire unit. She is worried that something else may go wrong in the future.

The kitchen is original to the house, which my grandparents built in the 40s. The stove is about 40 years old. I remember when my grandparents bought it. ;)
The tile in the picture is original, but she recently had it redone, and it looks exactly the same. She got a real craftsman to do the job.

o

What part of the world is she in? East, West, North, South? You need to find a vintage stove restorer.

I don't understand why it can't be repaired. I just found the following quote on such a website "We do a mechanical overhaul, looking at the pros and cons: the pro- the gas range can be rebuilt. The con- the electric range cannot be rebuilt, it has to be replaced. We replace the wiring, the element, clean stove and restore parts."

It's a confusing statement to me. Seems like it's saying it's possible and not possible at the same time.

Naively, perhaps, I can't imagine why the elements & wiring couldn't be updated. Odd coil sizes perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Good list of Vintage Stove restorers

o

Last thing! I just found this electric stove part. Maybe what your mom needs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Burner Kit of Vintage Electric Stove

o

Replacement coil burner elements usually easy and cheap to replace, especially if you don't care if the appearance doesn't exactly match the others. GE or Hotpoint use Calrod elements, nearly everything else uses the, er, non-Calrod. Older Frigidaire stoves (made by General Motors) use a very thick coil that's harder to find but they're out there.

o

"She has had several repairmen out, and it can't be repaired. "

You need a restorer or a repair man who is not just a 'parts swapper.'

There is nothing on that stove that cannot be repaired or replaced.

It is just very unlikely to be an OEM part.

o

Thanks for all your help. My mother has read the comments, and has decided to keep the stove for now. The only issue is the "Sensatemp" element, that has some sort of special features, but otherwise works fine. She felt that the smaller "small" oven in the replacement range would be more of a problem than not having all the features of this particular burner. And a more modern stove would not look as appropriate in the kitchen.

o

Have you googled the part that she needs? You just might be able to find it with the right search words.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here