Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Air Switch Questions!

User
15 years ago

Ok, so in my last thread, "pull down faucets, what's your take", lsandler was kind enough to show us her beautiful kitchen pics and I saw this thing I thought was a plug. (Silly, I know) but until rmlanza pointed out what it really was and buehl explained what it was for, I had never heard of them. Now that I have, I want one! I'm a shorty (under 5ft) and the thought of never having to reach on my tip toes for the garbage disposal again is an exciting prospect! So I'm wondering, what the pro's and con's are (if any) and if the folks who have them like em, and if not, why.

Thanks! Lukki

Comments (12)

• tamjo44
    15 years ago

Hi Lukki,

The pros are just as you stated-convenience and ease of use. I am also very short and it is so nice to just reach forward and push the little button.

I recommend them. Not expensive relative to other gadgets and you will use it every day. Plus, one less switch to mess up your pretty backsplash. My friends that have them rank them as one of the best features of their new kitchens.

• sher_nc
    15 years ago

I wanted one too after seeing so many on this forum. Can't wait til my kitchen is actually done so I can use it :)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

I heard of them here for the first time, too, and am putting one in. You can get them all over, and the cool thing is that you can find trim for them in virtually any finish color to match faucets, counter, whatever.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I love my air switch. Mine is an Insinkerator from Home Depot Expo and came with 3 or 4 trim colors. In my old kitchen the disposal switch was next to the light switch. I can't tell you how many mornings, half asleep, I scared myself when I thought I was turning the light on. The air switch is convenient, sleek and can't be mistaken for a light switch! :)

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

I LOVE MY AIR SWITCH! Crazy but this gadget that was less than $100 might just be one of my favorite things in my new kitchen!

• momasgenrlcontractor
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone. I've had my air switch a few months and I love it. I am considering moving it a few inches to the wall before my tile backsplash goes in. That way I can use the hole in my granite for a second soap dispenser. Good luck!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your replies! Looks like one more item to add to the list! :c) yeah!!

• mmme
    15 years ago

I love it too. It's one less thing intruding on my backsplash. It's smaller/more sleek than a regular GD switch, which requires a backplate. I never mix it up with another switch. It's perfectly okay to touch it with dirty/wet hands. And (best of all), with the big window I have over my sink, it's the only way I could mount a GD switch within reach of the sink.

• sankaty_91
    15 years ago

Who would install the air switch? Electrician or plumber? My plumber is installing the disposal. I'm not sure if either of them have heard of an air switch. I want to gather more information before approaching them.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Your plumber can install it -- it just plugs in as an extension of the disposal plug, nothing to it.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Depends on whether the plumber is familiar with them. The electrian seemed more familiar with them in my case and the plumber eagerly handed it over to him when I asked who would do it. Either could, but he obviously was not really familiar with them and it would probably have taken him longer.

Sue

• lmarletto
    15 years ago

Any halfwit can install an airswitch, lol. I imagined they were somehow complicated but once ours arrived and I looked over the instructions, I couldn't believe how simple it was. I tried it out on a lamp plugged into the wall and the whole family played with it.

You will need to tell the electrician that you need an outlet inside the sink cabinet, because if the disposal is hardwired, there's no way to plug in the airswitch. You will also need to tell whoever is installing the countertops where you want the hole drilled for the button part. There's a plastic tube that runs from the underside of the button to the part that plugs into the outlet, so you don't want the distance from the hole in the counter to the outlet to be longer than the length of the tube. Our plumber was the one who screwed the button into the counter and plugged the switch into the outlet and the disposal into the switch when he installed the disposal.

I love our airswitch! We have a 6' wide window behind a farm sink, so a switch on the wall would have been far away and one in the sink cabinet would have been very low. Now that I've used one, I think I'd install one regardless of what the options for a wall switch were.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!